Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What watch do you wear? Part 2

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Deadringers, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,744
    I really like the U-Boats.
    I also like the 'Welder' brand U-boat have on the go at the moment.
  2. a l e x

a l e x Active Member

Ratings:
    +645
    Got my "collection" down a to a measly two at the moment, the SubC and GMT2C. Want to add a Panerai 111/000 or White Milgauss then i'm done...

Wearing this one nearly every day... bloody love it.

[​IMG]
  3. hedrock

hedrock Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Rolex Explorer. Cost £421 in '82, now going for about £3500...
  4. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    For the first time in a while, I had a moment earlier where I considered flogging it all for just one watch. Odd sensation, not sure I care for it much.
  5. mhorton

mhorton Member

Ratings:
    +157
    I'm off to buy a new watch in the morning. Got my bonus and overtime come through this month so thought I would treat myself.

I think I'm going to drive the poor sales person crazy as I have no idea really want I want. Got £2000 limit, might be pushed up by another couple of hundred if there's something really really nice.
  6. Inked

Inked Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,595
    Back from holiday, I bought the Monaco in the end, but had not checked it out properly the shop, and unfortunately when I gave it a close inspection on returning to my room the watch was in a terrible state. It had more dings and scratches on it than some of my three year old watches.

I was offered a further 5% reduction to keep it but decided to return it for a full refund :(. May look for something else now that I'm back, or it maybe time to change the TV in the lounge :thumbsup:
  7. shahedz

shahedz Active Member

Ratings:
    +950
    I really want an Explorer 1 or a Date just . Really nice watches.
  8. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    Have you seen anything so far that takes your fancy? I think I'd be looking for this with a bit of a discount if I were in your shoes: Omega Seamaster Professional Mens Automatic Watch | 212.30.41.20.01.002 | Omega Watches | Goldsmiths Watches

Or even better, look to the second hand market as you'll not only get more for your money, but if you buy wisely you shouldn't lose any money over the time you own it :)
  9. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,761
    wow you really will be annoying the sales person and your self!

so many nice watches at that price point.
  10. mhorton

mhorton Member

Ratings:
    +157
    Leaving in about an hour. I've been up pretty much all night and have found about 10 which I like. Not brand loyal, so going to get what ever I like.

I have a Maurice Lacroix at the moment, and a Breitling which are completely different from one another.

Rob - I do like that one, that's on my list of ones to try on this morning. Also any advise on the second hand market. Didn't really think about it to be honest.
  11. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    Forums like TZ-UK are full of good options like the one I linked to above, usually for a good price (for the buyer, at least!). You need to be registered and have a certain number of posts before you can use their Sales Corner, but you can still PM members who are selling watches and do a deal.
  12. a l e x

a l e x Active Member

Ratings:
    +645
    Second hand will obviously get you much more for your money...

Nice Pam 000 will be around the 2K mark, Speedy pro is well within your budget too. TZ sales corner is definitely worth a look... so bargains pop up now and again.
  13. Fowl

Fowl Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Can I ask why you have both a Sub and GMT2?

I also have a GMT2c but would never consider a sub as a 2nd watch. They are entirely too similar for my liking.
  14. kchain

kchain Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I bought one of these last year and it's not left my wrist yet ... except for when I was doing the decking :).

Absolutely love it.

Got my eyes on this for my next watch though.

New from Breitling: the Transocean Chronograph Limited Edition | WatchTime.com

Not sure my budget will stretch this far!
  15. @Home

@Home Member

Ratings:
    +40

Attached Files:

16. mhorton

mhorton Member

Ratings:
    +157
    Well after spending all afternoon walking around Watford. I have bought a Tag Aquaracer Calibre auto for £2195. Love the look and feel, looks amazing on my wrist I think.

Have to say a big thank you to Ernest Jones in Watford, fantastic guys and girls in there helping me out. Goldsmiths and Beverbrookes seemed like the couldn't careless.

Here's the link to it - 500 M Calibre 16 Automatic Chronograph 44 mm Steel bracelet | TAG Heuer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  17. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    Nice one, a nice choice of watch too and it's not a Tag Carrera which is always a bonus when shopping for Tag's :)
  18. mhorton

mhorton Member

Ratings:
    +157
    Thanks. I did try a couple of Carrera's on but didn't like them, this is more chunky and I like the weight of it. Added bonus with Ernest Jones they were about to sort out the links in the braclett for me. Didn't really fancy having it sent away to get resized.

Over the moon with it. Must remember to phone the continence insurance up and add it.
  19. Slackadder

Slackadder Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Omega Speedmaster with black leather strap... Or a very old Seamaster .... Or a very very old Eternamatic gold watch. Depends on the mood and outfit.

Watches I have my eye on... Milgauss green glass or a minimalist Panerai.... Funds and SOH are preventing any new watch purchases!!

A
  20. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    Well I've decided to advertise my U-Boat here, so it hits a different audience. Assuming that sells, that will leave me with an Omega Planet Ocean and a Sinn 756 Diapal as my main two watches, with a Seiko SKX009 as my beater and a bunch of random quartz watches from the likes of ONeil, Diesel, Fossil etc that don't see much wrist time, but were gifts so are staying :)

The idea of selling everything is still on my mind. I reckon there is a comfortable £3k in the Omega and Sinn so if I sold those two as well as the U-Boat, I could buy a single nice watch (Seamaster on rubber, probably) and have the thick end of £3k in my pocket.

I just don't know...
  21. gilford

gilford Active Member

Ratings:
    +840
    For just over £2k you could bag a base Panerai, such a great watch for the money :):):)
  22. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    That's the trouble though, if I've got a lot of money tied up in a watch I want variety rather than one serious piece. A Panerai is my 'grail' though, it's the one brand I'd love to own, but it's the sensible part of my brain working at the moment, telling me I could have a bag of cash and a very nice watch instead of a few very, very nice watches.

I doubt I'll sell though, the sensible part of my brain is by far the smallest and is easy to ignore :)
  23. mushk1n

mushk1n Member

Ratings:
    +89
    I'm toying with the idea of the zenith defy on tz at the moment. Strange look to it and it'd make a good every day watch.

Hmmm...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AVForums
  24. mushk1n

mushk1n Member

Ratings:
    +89
    I've got a potential trade on one of those next week... but its being valued at 2.5k although almost new... only put off is the modded Eta movement which is a bit of a disappointment as I thought they'd be in house.

25. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    The ETA movements are solid though and can be serviced pretty much anywhere for a good price, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.
  26. mushk1n

mushk1n Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Yea but it seems like a bit of a bail from panerai, its not as if they are going crazy spending their money on design so least you would expect is an ih movement t... don't get me wrong... I like the look of them, I'm just a bit unsure if they're worth the premium. I'm starting to get put off watches which have been bought out by big companies too... I wouldn't bother with omega based on the fact they're owned by the swatch group... maybe I'll grow out of that though.... only a recent thing.

27. sleaver

sleaver Member

Ratings:
    +167
    I'm surprised about Beverbrookes! Last time I brought a watch I got it from their Bluewater branch and must of been in there for about 3 hours, was given two cups of coffee, had about £10k+ of watches in front of me at one point and then were quite happy to take a couple of attempts to get the strap right. Even had two sales people at one point but I suppose it's just depends on the branch!

I had to renew the contents insurance recently and although the cost of two watches on their own isn't two bad, when added together it makes you think!
  28. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    I can appreciate that, with brands like Panerai especially where you're paying a huge amount more than you would for other brands. But I don't agree with the Omega point, you just have to look at their Co-Axial movements in the new PO range to see the innovation and where your money is going, not to mention the LiquidMetal PO. Being owned by a big company can be a bad thing if everything you stand for is lost, but it can be a great thing if you suddenly find the financial freedom and backing to push things forward, which is what I think has happened with Omega :)

But I do certainly understand wanting to see something special for your cash when you're looking at something like a Panerai.
  29. mushk1n

mushk1n Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Yea you're probably right... the exclusivity is also a bit of a deal breaker for me too... that's why the zenith tickles my fancy... as do panerai... I read dealers only get 3or so pam000 per year(though not sure if that's true).

Omega is very popular, I remember reading the omega seamaster quartz was best selling mid ranged watch, although as a beater watch I wouldn't mind an omega.

30. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    Exclusivity was a big part of my hunt for a Sinn 756 Diapal. Most people look at me blankly when I say that, which is great :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.