Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of indoor aerial will help me get freeview in a bad reception area.

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by pinkandwhitedov, Mar 27, 2012.

1. pinkandwhitedov

pinkandwhitedov Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have a long going problem with a portable tv im bedroom.

I live on a ground floor flat so only have a fitted ariel in the living room
    the tv works fine in there from the ariel. Now in the bedroom i have a small portable and i have tried about 5 diff indoor ariels and all i get is a terrible picture on 1 - 4. i then bought a free view box & ended up with no chanels, so back to basic 1 4.

Can anyone help me out with a simple understanding solution to getting freeview on my portable tv.

much appreciated
  2. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    There is no easy answer to this. As you have found indoor aerials are pretty ineffectual in many conditions. If you are getting poor reception on analogue channels (1-4/5) then you are unlikely to get anything at all from Freeview. You need a feed from an external aerial to solve your problem. Fancy descriptions in indoor aerial advertising mean next to nothing.

Unfortunately if you do not sort this aerial problem you will be losing your 4 channels later this year with the switch-off of analogue services.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/346112-best-indoor-aerial-freeview.html
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  3. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +391

I somewhat disagree.

Analogue TV using an indoor aerial can be plagued with all sorts of problems other than weak signal. Interference, short and long multipath reflections/distortions etc.

Generally digital TV is more tolerant than analogue of such effects.

Furthermore it is my observation that a stable Digital (Freeview) reception can be obtained from a signal level much lower than that needed to give even a grainy analogue picture.

In most areas the digital signal post DSO will be around 20-30% of the pre DSO analogue transmissions .

I have been surprised recently in 2 locations 25 and 30km from our local post DSO transmitter at what can be received on approx 1 metre of coax without any sort of aerial on the end.:eek:

My advice to the OP is to wait until DSO and get a good but not fancy indoor aerial and if possible point it out of the centre of a window if possible in the direction of the local transmitter.

Edit Forgot :facepalm:

Mods please move this thread to Freeview forum. it does not belong on Cable TV forum. Thanks
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    All that may be true but the OP has tried 5 different aerials without any useable reception so I doubt if a length of co-ax, or wet string, will achieve any effect.
  5. Tight Git

Tight Git Active Member

Ratings:
    +605
    Q: What type of indoor aerial will help me get Freeview in a bad reception area?

A: None!

Indoor (ie room) aerials are for good reception areas only so, by definition, if one works properly, then the reception area can't be bad! :lesson:
  6. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +391
    ....but it appears he is still in a pre-DSO area? If this is correct then post DSO things will change drastically - they did hereabouts .

Think I"ll start an internet site selling tuned lengths of coax coupled to wet string - works fairly well round here on ground floor some 25km from post DSO TX:clap:
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  7. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +391
    What is a good reception area for freeview changes out of all recognition post DSO.

please note I did suggest the OP waits til after DSO and then tries again.
  8. winston2010

winston2010 Member

Ratings:
    +125
    The TV network is designed for outdoor aerials 10 metres high. That is what you should use.
    Would you try to run your car off parafin?
  9. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +391
    You may pontificate but....

Unfortunately the installation of such an aerial is not amenable to many :rolleyes:

Many new housing estates e.g. do not permit the erection of rooftop aerials etc.

Many are not even able to use loft aerials and therefore look to use the best an indoor aerial can offer. Given my observations in post #3 I think that people who reside in the primary service area of a Post DSO transmitter will have a reasonable chance of getting watchable pictures using indoor aerials.

You may be lucky like me and have a rooftop aerial some 10 metres AGL.

BTW I understand my wifes diesel car will run very well on paraffin - trouble is it costs more than filling station diesel:D
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  10. winston2010

winston2010 Member

Ratings:
    +125
    I was being factious with this comment but the point was that you spend a lot on a TV and try to run it on a crappy signal. You know this anyway so why should I try to defend it.
  11. stblob

stblob Member

Ratings:
    +41
    One of the best aerials you can use indoors would be a metal coat hanger. If that dont work then nothing will.