Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to do with my old sky+ box

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by steve10574, Jun 5, 2006.

1. steve10574

steve10574 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    i wont to give it to my friend after my HD install she used to have sky+ and would like it again BUT(you know that was coming)

she only wants the sky+ function's for £10 a month i have read on the boards in the past this is possible but never got anyone at sky to believe me

but was a long time ago we tried last does any one know if there more willing now

don't see why not they get a tenner a month for nothing(as i am giving her the box and its already installed at the house send her a viewing card and the jobs done)
  2. steve10574

steve10574 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    132 views and no one with a plan? lol
  3. neiljones

neiljones Member

Ratings:
    +15
    When I changed from Sky to Sky + I put the old Sky box in the kitchen and paid a one off charge for a viewing card which enabled me to see certain channels-BBC-ITV_SKY NEWS etc-about 10 in all. Still use it.

Now the Sky + Box is obsolete (4 years younger than the old SKY Box) I thought I would swop it over

How do I get the card adapted for the Sky+ box

Rang Sky-gave me two numbers-both prerecorded answers-we do not support this any more-get a Freeview box.

Anyone out there who can point me in the right direction to get the card enabled

:lease:
  4. Johnhoe

Johnhoe Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I aim to use my old Pace SKY box for receiving Hotbird Satellite which is 13degE. This will give an additional 200plus channels.I have already been in touch with the company who are designated to setup my HD and they have said that they will leave the old dish up and point it at Hotbird for me. Also they will leave the old single wire. I will probably have to pay for new brackets etc. but seeing as they are putting HD in anyway that shouldn't amount to much.
  5. rentagas

rentagas Member

Ratings:
    +67
    A freeview sky card does not need to be mated to the box so you should be able to swap it into another box (as indeed any new style sky card will). I'm fairly sure you cannot just pay the £10 for sky plus without another sky subscription. A Humax twin digital tuner HDD box costs less than £200 and would be an alternative.

Often sky installers have a "spare" sky card they can "supply" for use with freeview.
    For anything other than freeview a card will need to be mated to the box and the message "this is the wrong card for this box" will be displayed on premium channels.
    A FTA satellite box can be had for less than £100 with built in Dragon CAM which might be more useful than an old sky box.You used to be able to get a free sky card that worked for freeview from one of the "nightime channels"
  6. steve10574

steve10574 Member

Ratings:
    +9

spoke to sky today still saying you can't do it and we live in milton keynes none of the house have aerials(long story) so the humax is a no go
  7. rentagas

rentagas Member

Ratings:
    +67
    If satellite is your only option and you want to have sky plus type features then your option is either an external DVDRAM/HD recorder eg Toshiba RSX24 or similar Panasonic unit-supports Live Pause etc.) or an alternative satellite box with a hard disk. Getting encrypted free to view channels is more difficult (Ch 4&5) and will need a further purchase of a dragon cam and freeview card
    Running non-sky satellite equipment is a time consuming hobby
    It probably is more difficult than it's worth............................
  8. steve10574

steve10574 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    does not want any more ch's(bbc1,2 itv ch4 ch5) but just wants to sky+ them is it just me are are sky missing out on a lot of easy £10 pounds here?

dvdr is a option but cant record one ch while watching a other?
  9. CG121

CG121 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    To be honest, I'd hang on to it as a backup for when the HD box fails ;)
  10. Cyril

Cyril Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I would hook it up to a TiVo myself and re-use the hard disk in my PC :)
  11. alwyn

alwyn Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I have had a sky+ box on just the £10 month charge using my sky card for freeveiw for over a year,so it can be done
  12. pork&cheese

pork&cheese Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ebay it.....
  13. steve10574

steve10574 Member

Ratings:
    +9

ah lexus(your my hero) but did you go from a package to freeview to do this this seems to be the problem
  14. TBird1

TBird1 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Is this worth doing and if you have a spare dish/lnb/sky reciever are there any other costs involved to recieve these extra 200 channels ? If so I'll have a go :thumbsup:

Cheers,

TBird1
  15. Johnhoe

Johnhoe Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes Tbird, I have looked at web pages that imply that you can indeed use your sky box to receive other Satellites. You can, however only store about 50 in "other" programs.
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/digifaq2.htm#otherprogs

I believe you have to sometimes alter the symbol rates and the polarity in the setup secret menu (press 0-1) after setup. And the sky dish is not ideal for receiving in other but near perfect cloud free conditions. Also the dish has to be moved from 28E to 13E (about 15deg more towards South from Sky).
    You can see a program guide on http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html
    that although many of the programmes are encrypted, about half are not and therefore need no subcription.:devil:
    A cheap way to get introduced to another Sat system!
  16. CG121

CG121 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    The polarity and symbol rates (only 2 preset rates) are chosen when in the "Add Channels" menu, not the installers menu..

The Digibox makes a VERY bad choice for FTA transmissions, mainly because you have to dick about through the menus to change channels :eek:

You're better off with a cheapo FTA receiver from eBay..