Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What take up all the room on a PS3 Hard-Drive??

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by Craig8718, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Craig8718

Craig8718 Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    Afternoon all,

I'm looking at upgrading my 80GB hard-drive to a 320GB (but this thread isn't really about that).

I haven't got any external storage I can use to do a full back up of my old data so was looking at my system to see what stuff I do need to back up - which is only really game saves. I have no music, videos, pics etc.

Now as I'm sure your all aware, game saves take up relatively little space on the hard-drive and as such I will transfer most of them to a memory stick while I replace the hard-drives.

Now to the point

What exactly is taking up all the space on my Hard-Drive? It is 72GB full and all I have are the aforementioned game saves, no video, no music, no pics. Yes I have about 8 demos but if I take these off it will still only free up about 10 more GB tops. So what's stored on approx 55GB of my PS3?

Software updates are often very small (the last Fifa update was only about 32MB I think). When a new update comes out and your system updates it - does the PS3 automtatically delete the old software update or is this still saved somewhere?

Why do I need to update my hard-drive when I don't even know what's filling my current one!!??
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. phairplay

phairplay Active Member

Ratings:
    +958
  3. Craig8718

Craig8718 Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    I know how to do it and everything and read the *majority* of the 300 posts in that thread - just nothing about what exactly is taking up all the room.
  4. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,113
    What games do you have, as some require installation to your HDD, GTA4 is 5 gb I think, for example? Also some game updates can be quite big depending on what is being patched.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  5. Tigerblade

Tigerblade Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    This.

Look at the 'Game Data' folder at he top of the Game branch of the XMB (IIRC), that shows you what games are installed and how much room they're taking. Some take a fair wedge......
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Craig8718

Craig8718 Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    Ah yes, I do remember GTA 4 installing to the HDD. Other than that I play Call of Duty, Burnout (don't have any DLC for it), Killzone, Hawx, Rainbow Six, LittleBigPlanet, Fifa etc - non of these I remember installed to the HDD.

Do old software updates delete themselves when you install a new one? For example COD has had a couple of patches - when you've downloaded the second one for instance, does the first one delete itself?
  7. adbrad

adbrad Member

Ratings:
    +54
    some game update are very big eg gran turismo prologue is about 6gb :eek:.

Also the ps3 reserves 10% of the hardrive for itself, so thats another 8gb. You'll especially see this when you do upgrade, mine to about 30gb from the 320 :eek::eek::eek:.

other than that i don't know:rolleyes:

But maybe orth a check of game updates
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,113
    Hawx has quite a big install iirc, I'd check those out. If you don't play 'em any more, you could delete them. I would have thought any additional patch would superseded by the later one, but I'm not sure.

As Tigerblade says, check the game data folder, you'll be in for a suprise, I am sure!
  9. Craig8718

Craig8718 Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    Greedy little PlayStation. :D
  10. Craig8718

Craig8718 Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    I'll have another little look later on and see if I can work out where all the space is being used up.

It doesn't really matter anyway because I'm going to put a 320GB in it in the next few weeks.

I was just being curious on this long, grey, boring Wednesday afternoon. :boring:
  11. Tigerblade

Tigerblade Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    Then you have the delights of the System Backup then Restore :devil:

One tip I'd give is to delete any installs of any games you don't have anymore/aren't gonna play anymore, should shorten the time it takes......by a shade....:rotfl:
  12. adbrad

adbrad Member

Ratings:
    +54
    RUBBISH isn't it? I'm soooo bored i've been on here for hours.

My dog is whining for a walk, and im just going to have to bite the bullet soon.:mad:

Sorry for going off topic, but it is pretty s***

:suicide:
  13. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,113
    Its nice to know where it goes though. Hawx has a 5GB install and I think Burnout Paradice City has one too (1.4GB from memory)
  14. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer Member

Ratings:
    +186
    You may not have bought DLC for Burnout but it's on your HDD anyway. Criterion put all DLC into game updates & then whoever wants to buy it basically buys an unlock key, at a rough guess the updates would come to 1.5-2gb. Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 installs just under 2.5gb so with the 5gb from GTA that comes to around 10gb from just those 3 games.

Nah the updates dont delete themselves, new updates are added to the same file to make an updated update (if that makes any sense whatsoever :D)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Craig8718

Craig8718 Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    Yeah this is true, I popped Burnout in about two weeks ago for the first time in a few months and the software update is absolutely humoungous! I get what you mean about the content been there just not unlocked 'cos the bridge to Big Surf Island is there and when you approach it a nice little message pops up saying "Come along to our store and spend your hard earned cash."

To be fair to Burnout though, with regards to DLC and a constantly evolving game, it has to be one of the best available on the PS3. Every time I log on it seems to have something new. Big thumbs up to Criterion. :thumbsup:
  16. Brooktop

Brooktop Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Don't forget that there's also 10% missing just because of the 'maths' - Gb v ACTUAL thousand of bytes or something. So a 40Gb drive only has 36Gb usable and your 80Gb has 72Gb.
  17. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Agreed, it's one of my favorites. It's unbelievable just how much Criterion changed & updated it for free, a long time before the first bit of DLC hit the shelves as it were - probably the main reason I bought all of the DLC, kind of a way of saying thanks.
  18. sleaver

sleaver Member

Ratings:
    +167
    Have a look in BD Data under Video on the XMB as well as I found about 6Gb in there the other day!