What speakers better ?

Volodymyr

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody ! I'm from Ukraine.
My audio system: Creative titanium hd - pioneer a450r - mission 780 se.

Would it be better if I upgrade to

Tannoy 605 ?​

Or leave it as it is?

Last edited:
If your Missions are in good order then I would not change them for the Tannoys. It would be a backward step in quality in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Hi Volodymyr,

For useful advice some more information might help:

1. What is it you think is lacking in your current system?
    (Too little/much bass, too much/little treble, too little/much dynamics (attack/decay)? something else?)
  2. Have you heard something else that you liked?
  3. What room do you listen in? (approx size, hard/soft furnishings?)
  4. How much would you want to spend?
The Mission 780SE were well reviewed in their day and should be great in a small room with soft furnishing. The only thing I read on them were some drivers failing. But if yours is working then you're fine.
The Tannoys might give you some more bass if that is a problem area for you but I can't imagine they'll give more detail?
Of course there could be other better options depending on your taste...

Upvote 0
I am in a room 6 meters * 3 meters with poor acoustics.
I was able to listen to different studio monitors - KRK RP5 G2, Adam A5X and others. Now I miss (after Adam A5X) more treble and detail. But I want to stay within the budget of 150-250 US dollars.
I don't want studio monitors for home use. I like the tone of vintage hi fi and want to find something high quality and original in sound.

Upvote 0
Great information.

So first the room:
Its fairly big and by 'poor acoustics' I'm going to assume hard surfaces (floor/wall/windows). One thing that often helps in that situation is adding soft furnishings (rugs, fabric seats, bookshelves, acoustic panels) This can remove some reflection/distortion and reveal more detail.
Any speaker will struggle to fulfil its potential in such an untreated room (I had similar experience).

Now the speakers:
From the active monitors you've listed it sounds like you like a neutral sound (not artificial colouring of bass) and you mention you like detail...
One way to go is studio monitors, but as you have an amp something passive may help keep the price down... Also they are designed for nearfield listening so may not shine at more normal listening distances...
Another way to go is with home brands that 'tend' to have a neutral/detailed sound:
e.g. Monitor (older iterations tend towards bright, recent are excellent), Dali, Elac, B&W (some are great but can be a little forward for some tastes), KEF (a little warmer than some others but usually great detail and superb soundstage)...
Of course sound characteristics vary by model, but I would look at these brands (and I have a neutral/detailed taste also). Others on the forum may be able to recommend other brands/models.

Finally, budget. $250 will not buy you 'something high quality' that is new...
However it may be able to get you something 'vintage' / second hand...

e.g. MONITOR AUDIO System R352 Loudspeakers | eBay

I need to caution though that I'm not sure $250 is going to get you a meaningful upgrade on your Mission's... You may get a slightly different sound character that might suit your taste better... BUt you may not and the only way to check is to audition in your room, which means potential returns if you're not happy.

If it was me, I would dress the room in soft furnishings, make sure Mission speaker placement is optimised and then keep saving :)

Good luck!

Upvote 0
What do you think about Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4 ?

Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4 + Stand Spectral BS58 = about $ 309

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's difficult to say how the speakers are going to sound in your room which you freely admit is a bit of an audio nightmare. Speakers are without doubt the most important part of any set up but this is quickly followed by the room, very quickly followed actually. Unless you try and get a better room response then it is difficult to give a definitive answer as to how any speakers are going to sound. It's a bit of a lottery at the moment.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom