1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What psu to use?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Processors' started by malk, Dec 2, 2011.

1. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +145
    Hi there,ive just bought a Gigabyte ma78 lmt motherboard,and im going to buy an AMD athlon2 x4 640 chip,with some ddr3 1600 RAM,but,im stuck on what power supply i will need,also,how do i find out what the power supply is,and what the poweris, in my old pc is,as i might be able to use that,(its an old scaleo t).
    Cheers.:)
  2. rorackowe

rorackowe Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Completely depends what graphics card you are considering using as that will be the main power drain in the PC. If you are not using one then the power supply from the Scaleo T will probably be better than most budget brands. The manufacturer of this power supply should be obtainable from the panel on the side of it.
  3. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +145
    Cheers for the reply,im not going to use a graphics card,im going to use the gpu from the board,it has VGA and a DVI,so,thatll do me,the scaleo t one is a 300gtx,i take it thats 300w?how do i know what voltage the new board will be?will it have minimum requirements on the box?
    EDIT-also,do boards have all the same connections for the power supply,or is there any weird ones?
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  4. rorackowe

rorackowe Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Likely it is 300w, there may also be more information regarding part number that will tell you the manufacturer. Mainly delta, deer, fsp etc. From what I read earlier the scaleo t used a standard micro atx motherboard, the connections on the power supply should be universal. If in doubt post a pic!
  5. the cod god

the cod god Member

Ratings:
    +20
  6. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +145
    NIce one fellas,cool,i think ill get that Alpine one,11.99,thatll do.
    Ive read somewhere that older PSU's,can get damaged,just through time,so,11.99,cant be bad,also,500w,gives me room tp play,if i do get more stuff which will probably need more power,this is a learning curve,all this compatibility stuff,thinking of upgrades,then the expense,......you cant really be all spontanious with this stuff,eh??
  7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,189
    I wouldn't recommend it, anything with such unlikely specs (500W for just £11) is likely to be rather poor quality. Stick with the scaleo one if possible as you know that works reliably.

The information you want from the PSU should be on a label on the side of the PSU. The important bits are the paired voltage and amperage figures, For example:

Code:
    +3.3v  +5v  +12V
      6A    10A   14A

And so on (there will probably be a few more).

With no graphics card and a relatively low-end CPU about 300W should be fine unless you're planning to overclock or something, the important figure will be the +12V line.

Power supply connectors have changed over time, there's a page detailing them here. Specifically you want to check whether the PSU provides a 24-pin (or 20 + 4 pin) motherboard connector, a 4 pin ATX +12 connector and, if you're going for a new hard drive or DVD drive, SATA power connectors.
  8. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +145

Aaahhh,,i see,right,ill stick with what ive got then,then,when the board gets here,ill have a look,and then see what is needed,hopefully not a new PSU.
    It does look like the new board has the same connections as whats already on the scaleo board.
    I was thinking to get it now,but i might not need one .
    EDIT-that page about PSU's is well handy.
    Cheers pal.:)
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  9. rorackowe

rorackowe Member

Ratings:
    +164
    +1 stick with your PSU. The PSUs fitted to branded machines are usually considerably better than low end supplies, more likely equivalent to low end branded units (antec basiq for example). Certainly in the Dell and Acer PCs I've looked at.

If you're replacing it, it's unlikely that you would find anything worthwhile for under £35.
  10. phillyd1981

phillyd1981 Active Member

Ratings:
    +434
    what is wrong with the psu that cod of god mentioned in his post it's from the dabs outlet so I would have assumed that it was a safe psu to use (I have just brought one with a view of running a hd 4850 gpu on it got me a bit worried now :eek:)
  11. EndlessWaves

Ratings:
    +1,189
    The majority of 500W Power supplies are £40+ for a reason, companies don't maintain 300% profit margins when there are half a dozen or more competitors.

Not to mention the lack of website, the suspicious name (does it sound familiar?) and the limited details provided (no information on peak/continuous power, maximum for the rails, not even a list of the connectors it provides).

If dabs are selling it then it probably works fine at lower loads, but I'd expect it neither to provide what it's rated for consistently (if at all) or last very long at the maximum load it can sustain. I don't know what the rest of your system is like so you may be able to get away with it for your 4850, assuming it has the 6-pin power connector that your card needs of course.
  12. the cod god

the cod god Member

Ratings:
    +20
    The alpine psu really isn't that bad, i wouldn't recommend trying to pull 500w from it but i only recommended it because of the low power requirements malk has. I've used one in a cheap internet browsing and word processing pc and it does the job nicely, it's very quiet too! Malk's old psu will most probs do the trick but if it doesn't then the Alpine psu certainly won't fail him, and for £12 you really can't go wrong. I don't see you using any more than 250w at full load, so your current psu should do fine if it is a 300W psu. If it ever fails though, don't go too overboard with the psu, you're never going to need an extremely high wattage psu.
  13. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +145
    The Pc im attempting to build,will be used for Cubase5,i dont want to take it online, or play games,(hence the graphics card,or lack of that im not botherd about),i will use the old Scaleo for downloading bits for cubase,and transfer over,
    i will need a new PSU,thinking about it,to run either the Scaleo,or new one,and the cheaper(as long as its fine)the better.
    As far as the Scaleo goes,for its age its not too bad,i just need that little bit more.
    I dont think ill need a super duper blinding one,as i use the ps3 for gaming.
    So,as someone mentioned,for 11.99,itll do.
    This is the reason im upgrading,so i can have a standalone music making machine,and for it to do what i want,i need more ram,and to do more ram,i need a better board.
    Still,for the money,approx 130-150 quid,its not going to be too bad,well,ill be happy with it anyway.
  14. phillyd1981

phillyd1981 Active Member

Ratings:
    +434
  15. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +145
    PMSL,there we go,.....why was it 11.99 again?
  16. rorackowe

rorackowe Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Have had a few power supplies fail. Some cheap ones do not fail too gracefully, and ive had CPU, motherboard and hard disks trashed. The two reasonable quality units ive had fail only took themselves out!

Corsair CX430 V2 should be around £35.
  17. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +145
    Oh right,so it could,potentionaly,take the rest of the build with it?
    I imagined,if it failed it would only effect itself.(i suppose better quality ones would contain itself,hence better quality).
    I was thinking/budgeting £35 for a psu,so,the corsair,should be ok then?
    Also,with a new board,say i was lucky enough,to be able to use my HDD,would it need a format if i plugged it in?
    and,would it read the info(if it didnt format),that is on there,like Windows xp,and the other programs?
  18. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +145
    Oh right,so it could,potentionaly,take the rest of the build with it?
    I imagined,if it failed it would only effect itself.(i suppose better quality ones would contain itself,hence better quality).
    I was thinking/budgeting £35 for a psu,so,the corsair,should be ok then?
    Also,with a new board,say i was lucky enough,to be able to use my HDD,would it need a format if i plugged it in?
    and,would it read the info(if it didnt format),that is on there,like Windows xp,and the other programs?
  19. EndlessWaves

Ratings:
    +1,189
    Assuming it's not encrypted or anything like that and it came from a system using an older or the same operating system then reading from it should be no problem.

However, it might not be able to boot into windows and if it does then it's likely to be unstable so you'll very likely need a new installation of windows (especially if it is Windows XP, Vista/Seven are much better at this).

If the computer is still working then I'd back up all the stuff on the windows partition now (bookmarks etc.) and then just wipe that and reinstall windows. If you don't have a windows partition and everything is on the same partition then you will want to make a copy of everything in case you can't revive windows well enough.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Just looked at the (defunct) power supply from my Scaleo L.
    This was a DPS300MB according to the label.
    The label also listed the power available on each of the different rails, and totalled it up to 290W.
    You have to take the case off (at least) to see this label, though.

I replaced it with a 400W Corsair unit.

So if the PSU is more than a few years old you may be better off with a new one.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. rorackowe

rorackowe Member

Ratings:
    +164
  22. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +145

MMMM,this is the confusing bit,i think,i will back up the stuff like music and some films,and the music ive made on cubase on another HDD(ive got a spare 120gb from a ps3,using a caddy).
    Install a fresh XP 64bit(i think ive read there is a 64 bit version),then just have cubase.
    Nice,no other stuff getting in the way,nice and minimal.
  23. essjay

essjay Member

Ratings:
    +119
    People often overlook the PSU and regard it as a component that they can skimp on. A PC is only as strong as its weakest component, A poor PSU can cause stability issues, electrical noise and even cause some components to fail.

I would go for a Corsair, Seasonic or Tagen
  24. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +145
    I agree,i think ill go corsair,heard their name mentioned loads,and not in a negative way.
    Nice one.
  25. Grimley

Grimley Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Good choice OP.
    I put the Mark 1 CX430 in my dad's PC last year & its been good so far. Sounds quiet too but the spec PC its powering isn't stressing it that much.