What is your experience/opinion of 3D TV?

What is your experience/opinion of 3D TV?

• I have a 3D TV but I don't watch 3D on it

Votes: 523 13.5%
  • I have a 3D TV and I watch 3D on it rarely

Votes: 901 23.2%
  • I have a 3D TV and I watch 3D on it regularly

Votes: 491 12.7%
  • I don't have a 3D TV but 3D is something I would want in my next TV

Votes: 333 8.6%
  • I don't have a 3D TV and I'm undecided about 3D

Votes: 407 10.5%
  • I don't have a 3D TV and I'm not interested in 3D

Votes: 1,223 31.5%

• Total voters
I enjoy my 3D. LG tv with active 3D glasses. I must admit some films look better in 2d and others come to life in 3D with great depth which pulls you in. Best to see films in 3D in the cinema to see if they are worth buying or just invest in the 2D version. Listen to word of mouth to find out which films are good in 3D or not.

3D films i recommend
Avengers Assemble
Promethius
The Amazing Spiderman
Underworld Awakening (I enjoyed this in 3D the most)
Despicable Me
Tangled
Resident Evil-Afterlife ( in your face 3D)
Drive Angry ( in your face 3D)

I looked at several 3D TV's a year ago when replacing my set, and couldn't get on with any of them.
I'm a spectacles wearer, although only slightly short sighted, so for driving & TV, and I found trying to wear 2 pairs of glasses just too uncomfortable.
I wasn't overly impressed with the 3D demos I had either, but ones I preferred used the more expensive glasses. There are 5 of us, so add a couple of spare pairs for the kids friends etc, and just factoring the cost of glasses made it a no brainer for me.

We've had our Samsung 40" 3D tv since just before Xmas. It's amazing. I wear glasses but don't find having to put the 3D ones over the top of them a problem. Some of the programmes are brilliant especially Galapagos 3D with David Attenborough. I do find though that some things remind me of looking at those Magic Eye pictures where the main image stands out and the background is flat.

dont have one but woul love one. I think everything has it`s place and my intention would be high brow in 2d and a fun night in with an action movie in 3d.

Having only seen Avatar and Tron: Legacy in 3D at the cinema I wasn't very impressed. Tron was a mess of cross talk and Avatar only looked 3D for the first 15 minutes. I've had a new 3D TV for a few weeks now and after careful research settled on Underworld: Awakening in 3D to trial it. Safe to say I was converted. This movie is great in 3D with awesome sense of depth throughout the movie. The 3D also added some great immersion to some of the effects. Really the 3D was done well in this movie and I can't recommend it enough (the audio rocks too). So, I'm on board for 3D but only if I know for sure it's been implemented well otherwise I stick with 2D version.

My experience of 3D in the cinema has completely put me off 3D at home. The occasional "wow" moment but mostly "ugh.. I swore I would never, ever, do this again".

I really want one. Have a few 3D Blu Rays, and would like to do gaming as well in 3D.

Saw Life of Pi at the cinema, for me the best use of 3D yet. Felt completely natural, and immersive. Exactly what I wanted from 3D. Would love to view at home.

I really want one. Have a few 3D Blu Rays, and would like to do gaming as well in 3D.

Saw Life of Pi at the cinema, for me the best use of 3D yet. Felt completely natural, and immersive. Exactly what I wanted from 3D. Would love to view at home.

Thats the one thing I thought I'd love in 3d, but I don't particularly.

Movies and programs are great, but I just find gaming in 3d (from xbox so admittedly not as good as if from PC but still) to be distracting. And those games that do it well, tend to be the ones that make the 3d effect quite subtle.

Best 3d game for me was avatar. But it wasn't a great game in general.

FPS's can be quite hard to play in 3d, IMO because the speed of action can be confusing when playing in 3d. Perhaps I'm alone in this. But I think 3d may suit slower games better.

Just got around to trying out the 3d stuff on my newish TV. Watched Dredd 3d and it looked fantastic. I could easily see me trying out more 3d feature films now.
Also tried out Sine Mora in 3d on the 360 and while I wouldn't say it adds much to the game it does look good and the extra depth enhances the presentation. I still have to try Sonic Generations and Gears of War 3 which I imagine will make better use of the 3d aspect.

Sadly I don't have full vision in one eye so 3D doesn't work for me. However, none of my friends with two functioning eyes are particularly impressed with it. Shame, really, as we have a very nice and large 3D TV!

I have a 3D tv and have tried to watch it but cant last more than 15mins before the headache sets in....... so 3D at the moment is not for me

I second this eye strain and tension headache. Had to visit the optician after buying a HD Projector. Got rid of the Panasonic 5000 PJ and opted for what seems so far an excellent Optoma 3200 Projector.:smashin:

Really enjoyed 'The Bourne Legacy' on the Optoma and it's an £800 PJ whereas the Panasonic was £2000ish. I'm thinkin the Optoma is actually a better HD Projector as the picture seems more Vivid, great colours including Black. The Optoma is well built as I got worried it might be crap when I realised 'Made in China'. Now I believe not to worry as it's all Japanese design and technology manufactured to their standard in China.

Maybe it's just me but I shall have the odd 3D treat at the Cinema and forget about the home market.:):)

Not really interested in 3D and it's associated costs. Have just replaced my telly for a 50" Samsung LED and deliberately searched around for a large Smart TV without the 3D facility. Not easy.

We have the 47ET5 and the passive 3d is really good, much better than I expected it to be. Don't think I'd want to watch it all the time but I think it's implemented really well on this set. Imax Hubble 3D, Megamind 3D look good. The Olympics in 3D when it was broadcast was good too. It's fun to watch and we enjoy 3D at the cinema also.

The only time 3D has been a problem for me is when something is too close to the camera and it throws my focus, for example on the Olympics opening ceremony when some of the athletes came right up to the camera lens it threw my eyes a bit. But if someone in real life came right up to your face quickly it would throw you then as well!

Also saw a 3D film (passive) at Bletchley Park about rebuilding the Bombe and Collossus. Have to admit it nearly turned my left eye inside out LOL. I wasn't at the correct viewing angle though, standing to the right and slightly above the angle the screen was tilted to, maybe it was OK if you were watching sitting down. I think if I'd I seen that before getting my set I too may have fallen into the "3D is crap" camp.

Love reading all the negative comments, 'never going to have 3D', 'passing fad' etc., same people who complain to the BBC when they change the weather map!!! - only joking for those of a sensitive nature :)

Biggest downside for me is the premium for 3D blu rays. Takes the p*** a bit to say the least. Price point for 3D blu rays needs to be under £10 for me to buy one.

It's not for everyone, but works great for us on our set and we like it.

Last edited:
I've had my Samsung (55D8000) since May 2011, love it, I do watch a lot of sport an the Olympics in 3D was all I'd hoped it to be, watching Titanic 3D this week, wasn't expecting much but it looks great, very engaging.

I have a 3D TV and I watch 3D on it rarely

Find the glasses uncomfy

I have a panasonic 3D TV, watching sport on it is different, you can certainly tell is a try or goal is over the line better but, it can also often feel a little like your in the nose bleed seating.
Films, hate when directors do something because it looks good in 3D, but the depth feeling of 3D for me immerses me in the film, particularly when watching on one of the IMAX digital screens, 3D TV at home is nice but, 50" is not big enough to immerse you, looking at the 82" in richer sounds that's about right but it's also £33k!

Nb don't understand the point of shopping around to avoid a 3D TV, choose not to use the feature but surely review, visual inspection & price, rather than avoiding a feature are key?

Last edited:
I got the 70inch sharp and the size does help for the better 3d experience. I still haven't seen a film in 3d that made my jaw drop yet but to be honest haven't seen too many 3d movies. The imax under the sea clip where fish turns to you is the best pop out scene I have seen so far

Good 3D isn't about pop out in my opinion, it's just about depth. The best films I have seen in 3D almost make you forget you're watching in 3D, and suck you into the film by adding subtle depth, such as Prometheus. I love the fact that it makes the actual screen appear to dissapear and you look 'into' the picture, rather than 'at' it.

I still think that POP effect is what was done with the first red/green 3D films.

Good 3D isn't about pop out in my opinion, it's just about depth. The best films I have seen in 3D almost make you forget you're watching in 3D, and suck you into the film by adding subtle depth, such as Prometheus. I love the fact that it makes the actual screen appear to dissapear and you look 'into' the picture, rather than 'at' it.

I still think that POP effect is what was done with the first red/green 3D films.

Surely its about depth and POP in the right places?

Some content naturally lends itself to depth and some lends itself to POP out. In my opinion.

Nobody wants things flying constantly into their face, but I think certain pop out can really enhance films. Like for example in Hugo when people lean into the camera, it gives you a real feel of personal space and that being invaded.

And horror films and cartoons, pop out can really enhance the viewing of those in 3d.

Couldn't Agree more with this statement! I don't know what tellies some of the previous posters are watching with their comments of reduced picture quality, my Panasonic Active 3D TV gives a wonderful picture in 2D and 3D, but the 3D gives such depth in the image its only when you revert back to 2D you notice how ... er ... well 2 Dimensional it is (I realise how dumb that sounds). After watching a good 3D film, 2D just seems flat and lifeless....

For me, its not about "effects" its about how it helps immerse you in the movie - your almost looking into it rather than looking at it.

I've stopped watching 3D on the tv since I got a 3D projector, but if a film I want has a 3D release I'll usually buy that version, and watch it in 3D, so I probably get through 4 or 5 3D viewings a month, sometimes more.

Surely its about depth and POP in the right places?

Some content naturally lends itself to depth and some lends itself to POP out. In my opinion.

Nobody wants things flying constantly into their face, but I think certain pop out can really enhance films. Like for example in Hugo when people lean into the camera, it gives you a real feel of personal space and that being invaded.

And horror films and cartoons, pop out can really enhance the viewing of those in 3d.

I concur. Depth to the image is all great and well but it's the pop that really sold me on 3D. My mate and I watched Pirhana 3DD (don't ask) and the scenes where stuff (especialy the title) flew out of the screen really wowed us both. Watching that made me happy to have a great 3D TV and has made me want to go out and buy more 3D specs. So Pirhana 3DD converted me to 3D. How about that?

One starts to take the depth for granted after a while but a bit of pop is always a crowd-pleaser.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom