1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the life span of a DVD+R DL disc?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by shoestring25, Apr 20, 2008.

1. shoestring25

shoestring25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +171
    excuse my question of already answered of common knowledge as couldn't find anything when did a search

what is the life span of a DVD+R DL disc do they degrade over time, or usage?

VHS tapes have a life span but can last for ages of kept properly is the same true for copied DVDs

PS excuse me if this is in wrong forum
  2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Actually, that's a good question, as no-one knows.
    There has been a suggestion that DVD, let alone +R DL, lifespan could be really short.
  3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn Member

Ratings:
    +165
    It has been stated (by a scientific report I read about 12months ago) that a quality manufacturer (Verbatim) single layer should last approx 5 years. Thats with it being stored in a dry\dark normal household temperatures.

Personally, I wouldn't give the dual layer equivalent half of that.
  4. pjclark1

pjclark1 Member

Ratings:
    +289
    between 3 months and 5 years, depending on manufacturer.
  5. meansizzler

meansizzler Active Member

Ratings:
    +219
    wanting to know this about my 25gb bd-re
  6. shoestring25

shoestring25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +171
    so not ideal for long term storage then i take it.

shame take up alot less space than old VHS tapes but VHS lasts longer so i will keep those
  7. Naqv

Naqv Active Member

Ratings:
    +186
    I have disks (DVD-R) about 5years old, really cheap ones (expensive in those days) and they are still fine.

I have heard the figure of 50years for the disks, but that figure seems an exaggeration, as we are dealing with dye's.
    i most certainly don't think 5 years is correct, at least 15years depending on environment, scratches etc.
  8. jrwagh333

jrwagh333 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    sorry to but in.. but do you think i should wait for Verbatin to release a 50gb BD-RE disk then? or get the EXPENSIVE TDK one? :rolleyes:
  9. Naqv

Naqv Active Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Are you talking about 25GB TDK vs 50GB Verbatim? Get which ever you need right now.

I don't even have a blue-ray writer, as I am waiting for the prices to drop. Now that BR has won the HD war, BD disks should be plenty and (relatively) cheap within 12months+.
  10. jrwagh333

jrwagh333 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    no i got the 25GB Verbatin BD-RE with my burner but have heard that Verbatin are alot better then any other disk maker so i was going to wait untill they released a 50GB BD-RE
  11. springtide

springtide Active Member

Ratings:
    +439
    Thats really interesting. Verbatim were claiming about a year or so ago that their "Advanced AZO" DVD+R disks had a 100 year lifespan, and their DVD+RW disks a 50 year lifespan.
    But I've just checked now, and these claims seem to have been removed and even their Archival Grade disks are lacking actual figures...
    http://www.verbatim-europe.com/index/product.php?pid=41&lang_id=1
    ----------------
    "With a dual gold/silver reflective layer, AZO dye and Hard Coat protection, the Archival Grade DVD-R was designed for lifetime use and longevity.

The dual gold/silver reflection layer with the valuable gold coating provides for the longest possible archival lifetime."
    ----------------

Which isn't exactly very specific :(