What is the best media player for bluray iso??

fonejackerjon

Established Member
Reaction score
Help! my head is spinning, so many media players ranging in price! I want to purchase a media player for my TV which is the best one NOW on the market

All its needs to do is:

1) Play blu ray iso and MKV files with no stutter or judder, I HATE that! doesnt need to stream from a network just a USB Harddrive.
2) Be under £200, does not need to come with harddrive I have plenty.

Thats it really, a reliable media player capable of playing full 40 GB blu ray ISO from hardrrive smoothly. Over to you clever people!

PS heard the the ME8DER 3d player is awesome (if it capable of playing 3d blu ray it must be pretty powerful!) is that the absolute best one (it does seem to be the most recently released one anyway.)

your choice boils down to whether you need to see the menus in the ISO file. If you do (so it looks like you inserted the disk and get the menus etc), then the Dune HD Smart models will fit the bill as they have a full bluray license.

If you dont need full bd menu support then the Mede8ers will also fit the bill along with 3d bd support.

All players from Feb/Mar 2012 that require a full bluray license (full menu support requires a full license) must incorporate Cinavia into the firmware. Subsequently all new players now only support bd-lite (just presents a playlist of the titles in the ISO) so that they dont have to implement Cinavia

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Really I only care about the quality of the movie no need for menus, no judder and no jerky frames are paramount that is my pet hate.

As the Med8er plays 3d blu ray isos does that mean its the most powerful? as it must take some power to do that! not many other media players can do that. Also does this or any another media player have an option to 'smooth' out the video playback if it does have jerky frames in case of bad codeing?

Thanks and apologies for my ignorance!

I am looking for the same thing and have researched it for some time now, none of them are perfect but the closest is definately the MED1000X3D, which I am going to be purchasing from Graham very soon. They have recently released a new firmware that fixes the fps problem.

Quoted from Mede8er 600 thread:

"Our engineers have almost completed the initial porting of the Mede8er code to the new SDK and we got an internal test release today. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at how stable this beta is considering it is the first on the new SDK. So true 23.976 seems a reality and not a pipe dream and if we can fix the list of things that need attention we may well we in the Beta test phase by the weekend. This is not the only change and amongst other things is the all new flash based YouTUBE app (Really impressive)."

The other 3D media player is PCH A-400, but it seems more people are returning the item than keeping it, whilst Mede8er owners seem to be quite happy with their purchase. I also keep hearing time and time again how fantastic the support is with these players, and how active they are with rolling out firmware updates.

Graham is also doing a good deal on them atm if you look to his sig.

Hope that helps.

I am not familiar with that player myself, and would definately wait till at least a few owners have reviewed it. There is also the Dune Base 3D due out in the next few weeks. Personally I decided to wait for this to be released and decide between that and Mede8er.

I heard about a new chipset being released early next year for media players, does anyone know what the likely advantages this will carry over the premium media players like med8er 3d?

Hi, I found a link for the HIMEDIA HD910B Media Player on Youtube, it looks good & might suit my needs since it says it does PGS subtitles.

Last edited:
is it better than the med8er 3D though it seems in my quest for a near perfect media player all roads seem to lead back to the med8er? Is it worth waiting until 2013 for a new chipset? whats going to be the benefits? anyone?

PS bit of a stupid question but i dont need it for 3D so would people still recommend it? I just want stutter free 2D blu ray isos and mkvs (from external hardrive not network)

Hi, med8er is a better known brand name & would do everything you need. It does light Bluray ISO.
I am not interested in 3D videos either just 2D MKV with 1920x1080 HD video, HD audio, chapters & subtitles. I have a Popcorn Hour which can do all this apart from displaying Bluray PGS subtitles properly, they are all out of sync.
So need a new player Med8er does PGS subs as well so that might be the right player, for both of us.

Last edited:
is it better than the med8er 3D though it seems in my quest for a near perfect media player all roads seem to lead back to the med8er? Is it worth waiting until 2013 for a new chipset? whats going to be the benefits? anyone?

PS bit of a stupid question but i dont need it for 3D so would people still recommend it? I just want stutter free 2D blu ray isos and mkvs (from external hardrive not network)

If you don't need 3D then get a Dune Smart series player (D1, B1 or H1). I have the D1 and it's superb.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom