Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the average life of an Ford diesel engine (miles driven)?

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by THE AMATUER, May 19, 2008.

1. THE AMATUER

THE AMATUER Active Member

Ratings:
    +328
    I'm looking to buy a second hand car and have seen a nice Ford Focus (diesel) for sale (2005 model). My only concern is its done very high mileage (90,000). Its only had one owner though and full Ford service history.

I assume due to it only being 3 years old those are mainly motorway motors, which I know are better than short, stop start city trips, so my feeling is the engine should be fine.

Does the average car engine have a life to it? I know if it were a BMW, VW, Merc etc .. the mileage wouldn't be such an issue but being a Ford Focus I'm slightly dubious about it.

Any ideas?
  2. hillbilly1

hillbilly1 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    you have not said what size engine...the 1.6 & 2.0 are from the French (!) & are common rail, the 1.8 is an old ford engine...iron block/head! I should think the engines should do at least 150K...anyone else shed any light on these engines ?
  3. Bilbob

Bilbob Active Member

Ratings:
    +295
    a modern, well serviced and proporly maintained diesel should run for easily 200k...
    and being a 2005 model, it wont be the old one...
  4. THE AMATUER

Ratings:
    +328
    Its a 2.0 litre diesel.
  5. hillbilly1

hillbilly1 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I suppose you could say how long is a bit of string, as per billbob post, if you look after the engine (oil/filters etc etc) it will look after you..:thumbsup:
  6. THE AMATUER

Ratings:
    +328
    I suppose. Most people are put off from buying high mileage cars though, I wasn't sure if that was because they have a life before they go bang on you?

So assuming the engine has been loooked after and I get it regularly serviced and don't drive like a F1 driver there isn't really a limit to how long it should last?
  7. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Don't forget that there are other car parts to consider not just the engine. Having said that - I'm no tecchie
  8. Billo

Billo Member

Ratings:
    +97
    Modern engines go on and on so much so that you could almost forget the millage and just concentrate on the condition of the car and it's service history. One thing to look out for is if it has only had one driver which is a good thing as different people ride and wear clutches differently. It may be coincidence but the only car I have had to replace a clutch in was a pool car in it's early life.
  9. eric pisch

eric pisch Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    type of millage makes a huge difference

cruising at 50-60mph adds millage quickly but has very low wear on components

stop start town driving wears an engine and all the other bits alot more
  10. un1eash

un1eash Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    Depends what you plan to use it for also, if your going to be doing 30k a year and have it for 3 years your going to start running into problems when its on 150k+ i would imagine.

Considering some modern engines done even last 90k its very hard to tell but i always tend to go for lower milage examples as general wear and tear tends to be better also.
  11. Adam Shaw

Adam Shaw Member

Ratings:
    +102
    At 140k my mondeo went terminal. If it had been kept serviced, it would probably have lasted longer, so my experience is 140k if not looked after.
  12. un1eash

un1eash Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    From experience, some are good and some are bad, my brother in laws 2003 mondeo 2.0 TDI with 70k on the clock (FSH) went wrong less then a year of him having it, luckily it was under warrenty as they had to replace the injectors and turbo so wasnt cheap. Its since had a massive oil leak from around the power steering pump, needless to say its going in a few months.

But then a guy at work with a 2007 passat 2.0 TDI has just had to have the turbo replaced as it died, so much for german engineering.
  13. gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,255
    Until the end of July when prices of diesel will be so high all oil burners will be put into cold storage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. Dom996

Dom996 Member

Ratings:
    +37
    All of the cars I have basically run into the ground have made it to around 130k. My current 18 year old Audi is on 154k and still going strong. It's been well maintained mind you.
  15. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,435
    A citroen engineer once told me the main problem with deisel engines is that they put them into the same cars they put the petrol engines into...
  16. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +372
    Like the C5?
  17. hillbilly1

hillbilly1 Member

Ratings:
    +7

I picked up a Focus brochure from the local stealers the other day, only just had chance to flip though it. in the engine data page it says the 1.6 & 2.0 TDCI's are 16v, DOHC, alloy cylinder head & block.
    for the 1.8 TDCI it states 8v, SOHC, cast iron head & block, so they still have the "old" ford engine in them...well I presume its an old design warmed up ?