Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is PCM Down Sampling?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by pixel, Apr 25, 2003.

1. pixel

pixel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Should I turn this on it's in my Audio options on my DVD player. I am using a QED SR75 Coax cable to a Toshiba 36ZP18Q 36” widescreen TV.

Plus there is a digital output option with either bitstream or PCM.

What is this.....

2. pixel

pixel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    anyone know................? :D
  3. vonhosen

vonhosen Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Bitsream output is when your DVD player is sending a Dolby or DTS bitstream signal to an external decoder for decoding.

PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) down sampling is when your DVD player is down sampling your original PCM signal. If say the original was 96khz & your amp wouldn't accept this down smapling would convert it to 48Khz before sending it out.

With the digital out option , if you didn't have an amp that would accept DTS or Dolby bitstream you can let the player convert to PCM & send the audio out as PCM
  4. pixel

pixel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So do I use it or not?
  5. pixel

pixel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    bump

should I use it?
  6. dogastus

dogastus Member

Ratings:
    +6
    If you are feeding the digital audio into the TV set then use the PCM option as the Toshiba doesn't appear to do DTS or Dolby Digital decoding.

Nigel.
  7. pixel

pixel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Emm my ZP18Q says Dolby Digital in the spec......?
  8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule Member

Ratings:
    +27
    As I understand it,you should use PCM down conversion if you are sending the sound to a non 5.1 decoder,so you get just a stereo out feed.I'm sure Dolby Digital auto down converts to stereo anyway,unlike DTS.

So if it's going to a non 5.1 DD/DTS TV then you don't need to use it and turn PCM on in your DVD menu.
  9. pixel

pixel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks