1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is better - a PCI wireless card or USB Dongle?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Floob, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Floob

Floob Member

Ratings:
    +19
  2. ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs Active Member

Ratings:
    +309
    no difference really mate
  3. tomd84

tomd84 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    From experance it makes a hell of a lot of diffrnce, Having a PCI card at the back of the computer means that is not in the best place to get a strong signal

USB dongles have the advantage of being put whereever you want them and movable and you can put them where they get the best signal
  4. nburg01

nburg01 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've used both, there's no difference at all. Personally I think it's a waste of a PCI slot to use a PCI wireless card, plus the hassle of installation, I now always go for wireless USB dongles.
  5. Floob

Floob Member

Ratings:
    +19
    This was the one I was after:
    http://www.netgear.co.uk/rangemaxnext_wirelessadapter_wn311b.php

So it is movable to a degree. And I thought as it has a large antenna, it could pick up the signal well?
  6. tomd84

tomd84 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    ah i see what you mean! yer that would do a good job!
  7. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    I have a great deal of experience (in the business) and say the exact opposite. First, a PCI car is better for your computer because it does not use processor cycles, usually being bus master. The way that a PCI card connects internally is also superior to a USB adapter. USB adapter can also get knocked and/or damaged because they stick out from places where that is likely.

As to this old chestnut about USB adapter being movable, so are PCI card antennas. In fact the antenna be be placed even more advantageously than a USB card with the added advantage of the PCI antenna being more efficient. Having said that I have had to use extension antenna cables on very few occasions.
  8. whitters366

whitters366 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I would concur with my beer hunting colleague. A PCI card will have a much better (i.e. lesser) effect upon the CPU in your PC, as it uses the much greater bandwidth of the PCI bus, rather than the USB card (also probably an internal PCI card, but split between how many USB Ports?).

I also concur that it is more feasible to move/change the "stock" PCI Card's antenna into a more advantageous position.

:thumbsup: