Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Adaptive DRC and DSP

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by gromero, Oct 6, 2011.

1. gromero

gromero Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

I have the Yamaha dspax 763, which I've had for several years now and am very happy with the audio quality.
    I have MS 916i floorstanders and matching centre, and B&W bookshelfs for rears (the model escapes me for the moment), and a BK sub.

I watch a lot of blu-rays (action/sci-fi, you know blokes films :D) and I have noticed a problem with a lot of the newer films I have been watching, the range in volume is way too much.
    The high volume action sequences are too loud and make me turn down the volume before my house falls down, and the quiet scenes or even just the standard vocal scenes have me turning the volume back up again.
    I watched Thor this weekend, and I nearly gave up because it went from floor shaking to I couldn't hear what they were saying.

So I've been playing with the settings again, trying the equaliser, turning the centre speaker up and the surrounds down etc.
    But I'm sure there is a better way to resolve this.

Is there a way to reduce the range of the volumes without reducing the audio quality?
    Is dynamic range related to this?

I've always had Adaptive DRC and DSP in OFF.
    I've also always had Dynamic Range as MAX. (there are other options, MIN/AUTO, STD).

Any hints or tips to fix this problem would be great.

2. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    Set dynamic range to min and turn up the centre channel a little this is what I did.