Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What format for 3TB Dune D1 Internal Drive?

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by T3C, Jan 4, 2013.

1. T3C

T3C Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Hi everyone and a Happy New Year, sound a bit out of place already don't you think?

Anyway, I have a shiny new WB 3TB WD30EZRX hdd to go into my Smart D1 to replace my full 1.5TB drive and just want some advice on which file format is best to use and how best to go about doing so please?

2. Mr Eric

Mr Eric Member

Ratings:
    +204
    just install the HDD in the D1 and let the dune format it as NTFS. Done.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. T3C

T3C Member

Ratings:
    +19
    This will maximize the space available and allow easy transfer of the current content onto this new drive, via sata connection on my pc rather than via the slave port or lan connection?

Thanks
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,080
    AFAIK for a HDD >2.2Tb your only option is NTFS - I don't think the Dune can format these HDD's as EXT.
    Some people find the HDD is better formatted in the Dune, but others prefer to do it in a PC. Just try it and see what works for you. Either way just try copying a few small media files from the old to new HDD to test. If all works well then you can start to transfer the rest across - either connect both HDD's to the PC or conenct the old HDD via USB to the Dune and connect the new one internally, but the PC is likely to be quicker and you really don't want to be copying 1Tb+ of data across the network.

Mark.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. T3C

T3C Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I formatted on the Dune to avoid any issues and maximize to space available. I didn't fancy moving 1.35TB over my network especially with the D1 only doing 100mb so it was a direct connection of both drives in my pc.

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:
  6. mcspongy

mcspongy Member

Ratings:
    +120
    Did you find the Dune formatted the HDD in a matter of seconds? I imagine it would take hours on my laptop.