Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does the Official VGA Cable look like? I think I might have been sold a fake!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Forum' started by Tom Lloyd, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Tom Lloyd

Tom Lloyd Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, could someone with the official Microsoft VGA cable have a look at it, I bought one off Amazon Marketplace (I e-mailed the guy to confirm it was the official one) and I'm a bit suspicious it might be a fake.

For one thing it wasn't packaged, and didn't come with a phono to 3.5mm jack adaptor like they are supposed to. Also the plastic on the end that sticks into the 360 has a shiny finish, not a matte finish like on the official component cable. Also it doesn't say 'Microsoft' on it anywhere!

Could someone please have a check of theirs and see if this matches up?
    Thanks
  2. JagoUK

JagoUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +597
    sounds like a fake to me, the end should look just like on the component cable.

i gather you bought this as second hand? (that would explain the no box and no adaptor which come with new ones)

can you take a picture of it?
  3. Desmo

Desmo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,468
    Does it have the Microsoft hologram sticker on it anywhere? Pretty sure there should be one on it.
  4. Tom Lloyd

Tom Lloyd Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought it as new! It was in the 'new' section on Amazon Marketplace anyway.

No, there's no hologram sticker on it, no markings or anything anywhere.

I don't have a digital camera so I can't take a photo unfortunately, but if as you say the end should look just like the one on the component cable, this must be a fake cause it's definitely not the same, different plastic, and look kind of cheap in comparison.
  5. Desmo

Desmo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,468
    From what you're describing, it definitely sounds like a fake. There's so many about :/
  6. rEVILospud

rEVILospud Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    This is what it should look like.
    I must say it sounds like a cheap alternative make.
  7. Tom Lloyd

Tom Lloyd Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've e-mailed the guy who sold it to me to ask for a refund (only received it yesterday so I'm well within my rights to return it), gonna go see if I can see get one in town after work.

Although looking at the images rEVILospud linked to, the cable in each image is actually different! Check the phono plugs and the size of the little screw things on the side of the vga socket, they're not the same. Mine's more like the one in the unboxed picture.

TBH even if it wasn't fake (which it probably is!) it was still sold as new but arrived unboxed and without the phono adaptor so I'm still sending it back.
  8. Chrispyphillips

Chrispyphillips Member

Ratings:
    +229
    Hi Tom,

It definitely sounds like a fake! I'm sure there is a MS hologram on the lead that plugs into the xbox, although at work so cant check sorry!

How much did you pay for it? Prob better off going down the ebay road if you want it well cheap, but I didnt pay over the odds for mine! Think it was £19.99, but cant remember TBH.

It definitely comes with a jack, but then again so do non-official ones, so I'd send this back if I were you as it sounds like half a package of an unofficial cable!

Lets us know how you get on with it! :smashin:
  9. Tom Lloyd

Tom Lloyd Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I paid £15.99 for it, so it wasn't that much of a saving, I only bought it from this guy cause it was the only place I could find one online, having tried all the shops in the area I could think of! Didn't think of Currys when I was looking before though, and I just checked and they have them in stock at my local branch so I'll pick one up this evening and compare the two!
  10. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +346
    What was the company? I ordered a memory card off amazon marketplace, sold as new when it quite clearly wasn't (ms one though) No packaging and scratched. Emailed them and they said there's no oem packaging but it is new, yeah right. Not worth fussing over for a tenner though.
  11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,567
    eBay isnt the best place for the Official cable at present as it is floaded with fakes, the packaging at a glance looks legit but 99% are not.

A good place to get an official cable cheap is Cex, only £12 and should come with the adapters, at least mine did.
  12. Tom Lloyd

Tom Lloyd Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The company was called gamesters, they've only got about 20 feedback entries on Amazon but they were all positive, so they seemed alright.

I'll see what happens if/when he replies (and when I have a genuine cable to compare it to).

I did try cex instore and online but but they didn't have one.
  13. ggu

ggu Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yep I was sold a fake VGA cable off eBay last year, the audio plugs aren't gold plated either like the official ones are. I bought a legit one from gameplay a month later and the picture was far better because I was getting a rain effect with the fake cable.

They shouldn't be allowed to do it though because when I bought mine it actually stated 100% Official Microsoft VGA cable which is false. For anything like that now I just buy from actual websites like gameplay or shopto because it's worth spending a few extra pounds when you know you will get legit products.
  14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,567
    Just checked Cex online and they have stock.
  15. Tom Lloyd

Tom Lloyd Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yeah I see now, I was searching for 360 VGA and it wasn't returning any results, rubbish search function!
  16. surfprof

surfprof Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Don't know if this is allowed or not. If not forgive me mods.

I have a spare official vga cable if you want one. I bought it 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to use it properly with my Sony TV, (TV's fault not the cable), so I'm using componenent again.

It's the real Microsoft cable with adaptor and booklet. Bought it from Currys for £19.99.

It's no use to me anymore so if you want it you can have it at a reduced price. PM me if you want. Otherwise, I'll be putting it up in the classifieds section. Cheers
  17. lydiachris

lydiachris Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I have also recently purchased an official Microsoft vga cable from amazon, from a company called swallow games.

It certainly came in legit packaging with all the microsoft documents, but the plugs are shiny and not matt, with no Microsoft hologram logo on it anywhere. The 2 phono plugs are gold plated and did not come with a 2 rca to 3.5mm jack as described in previous posts.

Pretty sure it not a fake... :confused:
  18. surfprof

surfprof Member

Ratings:
    +11
    As far as I know, the Microsoft cable always comes with the RCA adaptor.
  19. dannius

dannius Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    I bought one yesterday from Currys and can confirm the official cable comes with a phono to 3.5mm jack adaptor and a female to female VGA adaptor.
  20. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +346
    Same company that sold me a 2nd hand memory card as new.
  21. CounterWhine

CounterWhine Member

Ratings:
    +156
    If you have an issue with an Amazon partner, I'm pretty sure Amazon themselves have a grievance process.
  22. lydiachris

lydiachris Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Just out of interest, would it be possible to take a picture of the VGA Cable you bought from currys just to show us all what the official one looks like along with the phono to 3.5mm adaptor.

Strange thing is, the cable came in legit microsoft packaging....???????????????

Robbing £&$^%*£'* :mad:

Doesn't matter though as i've ordered a monster cable for £46 delivered from a UK based company, it's arriving tomorrow :thumbsup:

Yes, a picture would be good if thats possible!

Here is the currys link with picture:

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...sku=488709&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&tabIndex=1

Click enlarge, looks EXACTLY like mine...strange!
  23. DragonOfSilver

DragonOfSilver Member

Ratings:
    +73
    if theres no hologram, or vga gender changer + rca to 3.5mm daptors included in a sealed package, its fake, end of. Fake packaging isn't uncommon nowadays unfortunately.
  24. tylerjosh

tylerjosh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +944
    took 2 pics of the official cable that i bought used from gamestation fotr 9.99 best bargain from them :)

Attached Files:

25. lydiachris

lydiachris Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I defo got sold a fake!
    No logo on top or bottom of vga plug which goes into the back of the console, nor the Microsoft Logo. Hmmmm...

Never mind, As I said got the Monster Cable arriving tomorrow :thumbsup:

Anyone want a fake vga cable... :rotfl::suicide:

Seriously... £5??????????????? :smashin:

Wonder why the curry's picture is the same as my cable without the hologram etc???
  26. surfprof

surfprof Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Yep. Mine's the same as Tylerjosh's.

Thing is, packaging has been so easy to fake, especially in the far east where it's a huge industry. The sealed packages are designed to convince you it's genuine and the low price sucks you in.:thumbsdow

I've found that with console cables, you really do get what you pay for. Don't know about the monster cable though.
  27. Van Dam

Van Dam Member

Ratings:
    +181
    The fake cable is probably the reason why you decided to order the Monster cable but if you had originally been sold an official MS VGA cable you would certainly have been happy as there's very little to choose from between the MS and Monster variations.
  28. JayEm

JayEm Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Does anyone know how often Play.com get stock of this cable? It was in stock when I ordered but it's sitting on "Awaiting Stock" now.

I'd really like to have it by next Wednesday.:rolleyes:
  29. DragonOfSilver

DragonOfSilver Member

Ratings:
    +73
  30. Tom Lloyd

Tom Lloyd Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I went and got an official cable from Currys on the way home last night, and comparing the two, the one I got off Amazon is definitely fake! Lydiachris' sounds just the same as mine as well.

I've still not heard back from the guy, if he doesn't e-mail me back today I'll take it to Amazon themselves.