Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does a dreambox do???

Discussion in 'Satellite TV Forum' started by barryd, Jul 6, 2009.

1. barryd

barryd Member

Ratings:
    +30
    i was wondering what these dreamboxes do as i have heard you can get all these pay/ sky box office channels for free? is this correct? i currently have a sky + 180 box in lounge with output coax with magic eye to bedroom. if it was possible to get this for free would i need another dish or use same one? hope you guys can help a techno numpty like me! many thanks:lease:!
  2. bob1

bob1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Nope.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. barryd

barryd Member

Ratings:
    +30
    so what is the benefit of having one of these boxes?:lease:
  4. Member 354643

Member 354643 New Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I think they are a brilliant reciever
  5. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Many are used to receive pay-TV illegally by means of Card Sharing and/or loading various software and files on the receiver.

Discussion on how this works is not permitted in these forums (see the Forum rules)
  6. Pittsey

Pittsey New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    A dreambox is a nifty little box. You can stream movies to it, and you can stream from the dreambox to your pc too.

I have just got one, and I am mightily impressed.
  7. lovelldr

lovelldr Member

Ratings:
    +151
    Another added benefit, is that it can be contacted via the internet to set up timers etc...

Just imagine, being out at a mate's, and then realising that the missus asked you to record the new torchwood series or summat. You just whip out the mobile phone, connect to your dreambox accross internet, find the listing in epg, and then add the timer...
  8. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,099
    This can be also be done on a Sky+ or Sky HD box via a mobile or internet connection "Remote record" - so not a unique feature.

The main attractions of the Dreamboxes are the illegal possibilities and that they are very customisable.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  9. barryd

barryd Member

Ratings:
    +30
    thanks to all above.
    can anyone recomend a good dreambox to start off with? still not sure if i need another dish or if my sky dish could be used. many thanks.:lease:
  10. Pittsey

Pittsey New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you are just pointing at 28.2e which is the location of the Astra satellite that Sky use, then there is no point in getting a dreambox really.
  11. RoYaL KiD

RoYaL KiD Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    a DM500s is cheap but very very good...the only way to view Sky TV without paying is by Cardsharing, this is highly illegal and requires you to have above average Computing knowlegde!
  12. newbirth2010

newbirth2010 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Dreamboxes are little computers but they can do EVERYTHING, because they run a powerful operating system....called....LINUX.

In fact, a Dreambox is a Linux-powered digital satellite decoder, also known as a set-top box.

When used legally, the viewer obtains a card that functions as a decrypting key to access the channels he or she has subscribed to through a TV-provider.

It differs from many other similar devices because its firmware (software and hardware) is officially upgradeable.

Because it’s based on an open source platform, it can be easily hacked to facilitate card sharing, which is why it is commonly used by viewers who wish to obtain television services without paying the subscription fees.

Illegal TV-providers manipulate Dreambox devices to pass on or sell a digital decryption keys to viewers all over world via the internet.

What makes Dreambox so popular is that you can get a combination of football, films and popular TV series on one, cheaper service, that no one platform provides to legitimate subscribers.

A dreambox itself is not illegal. But, due to its indefinite capabilities it can also be used in order to crack paid encrypted channels and make them "Free", an activity which is illegal especially in the UK.

Take Care
    Michael Jackson
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. newbirth2010

newbirth2010 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    A good cheap High Definition DreamBox is the DM800-HD.

There are 3 High Definition dremboxes (DM800-HD, DM500-HD and DM8000-HD). But the affortable one is the HD800.

M.J.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  14. newbirth2010

newbirth2010 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hey man. if you liked my above infos why don't you give me a little THANKS points?

Thanks
    Michael Jackson.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. RoYaL KiD

RoYaL KiD Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    DM500hd is not out yet!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. newbirth2010

newbirth2010 Member

Ratings:
    +4

Thanks Royal Kid

But when it will be out, it will be the best option if the price is what some people disseminate. 300 Euros. With 400Mhz processor and 256 MB RAM and High Definition. Definitely, I am waiting for it!!!

Michael the Naughty Boy !
  17. smithersmk

smithersmk Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I’ve spent/wasted £1000's on tech toys over the years , my Dreambox DM800 is by far one of the best. It takes a while to get to grips with, but once you do. Is actually not difficult to manage at all. I love it.

Just need a BBC-I player plug in for it.
  18. Greybeard

Greybeard Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Agreed
  19. cmclean

cmclean Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Me too....wasted so much money on trying to get other equipment to do only half of what my DM800HD can do.

Buy one and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it :thumbsup:
  20. FrankieR

FrankieR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about getting one of these does anyone recomend a good make and model?
  21. sep8001

sep8001 Member

Ratings:
    +103
    It really depends on your budget.

If you do not want HD then the options are DM500 or you could also get an Eagle Linux which is a DM500 clone.

If you want a hard drive built in the there is the DM600 and if you want HD then you could choose DM800.
  22. thfccambs

thfccambs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,320
    If £ isn't a problem the DM8000. :thumbsup:
  23. MartiniB

MartiniB Member

Ratings:
    +24
    also if you will watch one and record another channel or have digital air(DVB-T) or cable(DVB-C) in same box
  24. CrazySyD

CrazySyD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, im wondering if someone can help, i currently have a dreambox dm500 although im not really using, but im thinking of getting a HD dreambox, 800 or 8000 etc. Well anyway i got the dreambox 500 out yesterday just to see if i can tune in to the HD transponders but for some reason i can tune in to all the other transponders just not the HD ones. Why would that be could it be my dish or is the dm500 not meant to tune in to HD transponders? help :lease:
  25. RoYaL KiD

RoYaL KiD Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    most if not all HD channels go by the Symbol Rate of 30000. Non HD receivers cannot scan these symbol rates.
  26. CrazySyD

CrazySyD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh, cheers for that m8, just another quick question, dont know if its in the right thread but im in a dilemma as to wether to get the dm8000hd or the azbox hd, which one would you advise? thanks in advance
  27. RoYaL KiD

RoYaL KiD Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    you can get 3 AZBOX ELites for the price of a dm8000. I take it you mean the dm800. The price of the Azbox seems the most worth it for a HD receiver but the CCcam emulation for the azboxes are at its early stages.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. Member 354643

Member 354643 New Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I would go for the Dreambox for def.:D
  29. CrazySyD

CrazySyD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know the best price for a dm8000?
  30. bob1

bob1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Not a problem on my dm7025 ,it decodes sound but not video,if i transfer to the pc i can decode the video as well.