1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What av receiver to suit my needs? HELP

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by podgey3874, Feb 12, 2012.

1. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    hi wondering if you could help me just purchased
    PURE ACOUSTICS Noble 5 Piece Loudspeakers - Home Theatre Kit
    just to get me started get me started with my home cinema setup
    i am looking for a av reviver/mini hifi system i think to wire these up to and was wondering what you would recommend as i have no clue what i am looking for
    i would like to use my iPhone with the devise
    also have 3D capability as i am going to purchase a 3d tv and blu RAY player or ps3 shortly
    my price budget is no higher then £200 for the receiver
    hope you can help

:)
  2. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,904
    The problem you have is that your budget will only get you a base level receiver but the speakers you have are only 4 ohms so not ideal for this level of receiver. The lower impedance of the speakers will put a higher load on the receiver which it is not best to handle. Considering your budget I feel you have bought the wrong speakers. Now a budget receiver will work but you will need to take care with the volume as you are more likely to get clipping of the sound which will damage the speakers. Receivers to look at include Onkyo 309/509, Yamaha 371 or Sony 520/820.
  3. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Hi.
    Not to mention risking the amp overheating and tripping out. You might be OK as long as you keep the volume set to no higher than half. FAQs : Receiver | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website
    But it may be prudent to rethink the budget to allow for an amp that safely drive those speakers, or discuss with your retailer about returning/exchanging those speakers. If you're in the EU, and mail-ordered them, consider using the distance selling regulations.
    Particularly as one just starting out, one may then wish to consider a package such as Onkyo HTS5405 Black | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excl DVD player | Richer Sounds which contains avr/amp and matching speakers; would suggest avoiding the ones that include DVD/BD players though...
    --
    Regards, Iain.
  4. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    What about this aby good ?
    Onkyo TX-SR309 5.1 AV Receiver (3D Ready, iPod/iPhone Ready, USB Port) - £169.95 @ Richer Sounds.

Or pay £186.90 with 5 year warranty. Onkyo presents the TX-SR309 an entry-level A/V receiver fine-tuned to power your system right out of the box. Set-up is simple and adjustments are easy thanks to a new overlaid on-screen display. Also new at this level is PLL jitter-cleaning circuit technology to reduce distortion and a front-panel USB port that provides a high-quality digital link to your iPod/iPhone. To get the best from your compressed audio files the TX-SR309 employs Onkyo’s proprietary Advanced Music Optimizer. Naturally the receiver also handles high-def lossless audio in the form of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audioâ„¢. These are carried by three HDMI® inputs that also support immersive 3D video content. And whether you’re gaming in 3D or not you can choose from four customized audio modes to match your gaming content. It all adds up to one high-value proposition. Key Features • HDMI Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel • Direct Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via USB • Convenient Overlaid On-Screen Display via HDMI • Four Audio Game Modes for More Realistic Action • Advanced Music Optimizer Building on the already class-leading TX-SR308, the new TX-SR309 adds an iPhone/iPod compatible USB port, enhanced jitter reduction technology and sleek new styling. As before, though, what truly marks the TXSR309 out from its competitors is the inclusion of both 3D compatibility and high-definition audio processing; many rivals still only provide one or the other. With 3D compatibility you can run your 3D Blu-ray player, PS3 and Sky 3D box via the receiver and in to your 3D compatible TV; all with the minimum of fuss. The latest and most powerful processing has always been at the heart of Onkyo's receivers, and the TXSR309 is no exception. It will handle high-definition lossless audio codecs from Dolby and DTS. This high resolution surround sound processing makes it the perfect partner for Blu-ray with all the potential for audio excellence this source provides. It's not just the processing power but quality, too, that makes Onkyo receivers stand out. Burr-Brown 192/24 DACs for all channels, an advanced 32-Bit Processing Chip and a high power transformer help to give the TXSR-309 class-leading sound quality and an equally impressive 85 watts power output (dynamic measurement at 8 ohms). This may be the baby of the Onkyo range but, when it comes to connecting up, there's a surprisingly comprehensive range of sockets - as good as many mid-range receivers from just a year or two ago. Three HDMI inputs and an output let you route your Blu-ray, digital TV and games console through to the TV. Added to this are a wide range of other sockets including twin component inputs for older DVD players and three digital audio inputs. New to the TX-SR309 is a front-mounted USB socket. It might not look much, but this little socket will transform the sound quality from your iPod or iPhone. By connecting to the USB, you'll benefit from a digital connection. This gives a direct signal and, hence, purer sound quality than using a conventional dock or analogue input. If you don't have an iPod or iPhone, the USB socket will also accept music signals from other MP3 players or multi-media devices. Finally, one of the features we like most about the Onkyo AV receivers is how easy they are to set up. With an overlaid On-Screen Display, adjusting settings is straight-forward, while the simple menu logically takes you through the fine-tuning of your system. As budget AV receivers go, the TX-SR309 is a gem and, yet again, if you're looking for a path into proper home cinema then the Onkyo TX-SR309 is still the number one route.

Sent from my iPhone
  5. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaint
    Hi.
    Not to mention risking the amp overheating and tripping out. You might be OK as long as you keep the volume set to no higher than half. FAQs : Receiver | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website
    But it may be prudent to rethink the budget to allow for an amp that safely drive those speakers, or discuss with your retailer about returning/exchanging those speakers. If you're in the EU, and mail-ordered them, consider using the distance selling regulations.
    Particularly as one just starting out, one may then wish to consider a package such as Onkyo HTS5405 Black | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excl DVD player | Richer Sounds which contains avr/amp and matching speakers; would suggest avoiding the ones that include DVD/BD players though...
    --
    Regards, Iain.

What about this aby good ?
    Onkyo TX-SR309 5.1 AV Receiver (3D Ready, iPod/iPhone Ready, USB Port) - £169.95 @ Richer Sounds.
  6. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

Ratings:
    +145
    The problem you have is that the only AVRs costing significantly more than £200 will have the power rating needed to drive 4-ohm speakers safely...in the Denon range I think only the flagship AVRs (4311, RRP £1.5K) is officially able to handle 4 ohms speakers. Having said that I did use a 1909 to power some 4-ohm M&S speakers for a while, though any attempt to push the volume up to even a moderate level really strained the AVR. Since upgrading to a 4311 the difference really is quite clear!

Your other alternative is to go for a seprate receiver and power amp, but that is going to cost £££
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Hi.
    I'm afraid you misunderstand; my suggestion would be to return those speakers for a refund, then buy the set that includes amp and speakers. You quote £s, so guess you're in the UK. If you mail-ordered those speakers, you're covered by the distance selling regulations, so are normally entitled to return things within a limited period for any reason.
    The package deals are a relatively inexpensive way of getting started, without having to worry about matching bits of kit.
    --
    Regards, Iain.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I understand what your saying but I do not intend to turn the volume up to max it will cause me a major problem with the neighbours as you can imagine I just intend to have a nice looking set up for my viewing and surround sound pleasure
    But thanks for your help guys
    I ended up buying the Yamaha reicever
    What speaker systems would you suggest suits best then give me a few ideas for future reference that would b great thanks
  9. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,904
    The problem is that the Yamaha may struggle to provide the power for the speakers at even modest volume levels. I am with Iaint in that it would be better to return those speakers and get more appropriate ones for the level of receiver you are looking at. Rischer Sounds do a few Yamaha, Tannoy and Jamo speaker sets around your budget although they are all sub/sat speaker systems. The other option would be to buy the front pair as either standmounts or floorstanders and then get the other speakers as funds allow i.e. something like the Wharfedale Diamond series or Q Accoustics 2000 or Monitor Audio BX range. This will get a much better sounding system in the end.
    The speakers you have just look too cheap to be any good, 5 large speakers with multiple drivers for £120 (what I saw them selling for online) just seems too cheap to be any great quality and then there is the ohms issue.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Hi.
    Keep the volume set below half, maybe 60%. You'll also need to take extra precautions to ensure adequate ventilation. May encounter problems with material with a high dynamic range; you'll need to resist the temptation to up the volume during the quiet bits as the loud bits could well cause trouble.
    While I don't share the enthusiasm for stuff like silver-plated speaker wire, operating kit outside the environment it was designed for is normally unwise...
    Modern amps are likely to have a cutout in case of overcurrent or overheating. This is a safety device, and not something you should be tripping on a regular basis. The manual suggests you only get 3 trips before the unit locks out and you need to contact a service center...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3

looks like i will be returning them speakers,unless you can help me put them speakers to good use elsewere, this not looking good at all is ; (
    so please recommned for me guys
    a speaker package that has
    a pair of floorstanding speakers
    bookshelf
    and a centre speaker
    and of coarse a sub that will go nicely with my av reciver the yamaha with out been over extreme with the budget am not a rish man but quality would be preffered and thank you yet again all for your help
  12. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    as recommend i am going to purchase these
    Jamo S 426 HCS 3 Speaker System

what is your opinion?
  13. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,904
    Jamo are a well regarded speaker manufacturer and should pair well with your Yamaha receiver. They are also 6 ohms so much better than the previous speakers you had.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    NOW YOU HAVE A IDEA OF THE SPEAKER PACKAGE I AM AFTER IS THERE ANY OTHERS YOU WOULD RECOMMNED IN MY BUDGE OF AROUND THE SAME:lease:
  15. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Hi.
    Well, the impedance matches. The surrounds are only rated for 60w long-term, and the center only 80w long term. Amp is capable of delivering 100w. How much of an issue this is, I'm not sure. I believe as long as you're sensible (don't turn the volume up loud enough it starts sounding horrible), you'll be fine. In a typical living room, you won't need even a quarter of that power.
    Yamaha seem to deliver their amps set to 8ohm impedance by default; you'll want to change that to 6. Full details in the user guide, but believe it's hold "straight" while switching on, wait for "SP-IMP" to appear on the display, press straight to select "-6", then press power to save.
    You may also want to go into speaker setup and set the fronts to "Large" if the auto-setup thing doesn't do so. Unless you're ordering the optional sub as well? Reviews seem to suggest it's not strictly necessary, and you can always add it next year should you feel the need.
    See if PSM1 has any thoughts before ordering though.
    --
    Regards, Iain.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    have fallen in love with thease plese advise before i purhchase:lease:
  17. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
  18. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Hi.
    For a start the impedance is too low. Just for the center/surrounds. No idea about the fronts, as there doesn't seem to be any detail available. The pics show something that has designed to look impressive, but may not sound impressive.
    The lack of results from a google search is also deeply concerning.
    Have to suggest avoiding.
    --
    Regards, Iain.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. BuToNz

BuToNz Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Don't mean to bash, but OP why aren't you listening? You've already purchased an amp which wasn't recommended and now you are posting links to unbranded ebay speakers when PLENTY of speakers have been recommended.

Why ask for advice and then ignore it?
  20. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    cos i have no clue what i am talking about so no need to take offence its doing no arm on you and thease guys are helping unlike yourself
  21. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Hi.
    Almost; the 371 was suggested.
    The OP seemed reluctant to return original speakers the market for which I'm not sure about. Anyone spending enough for an amp that can safely drive 4ohm speakers is not going to then connect it to cheap speakers.
    What's actually wrong with the Jamo speakers? They appear to fit the Yamaha AVR (subject to not being silly with the volume knob), and appear to get positive reviews.
    If it'a just about looks, get both sets, leave the cheap ebay speakers disconnected and use the Jamos beside them...
    --
    Regards, Iain.
  22. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    noth9ing wrong with the jamo i have gladly gone for them thank you
  23. BuToNz

BuToNz Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Don't get me wrong, I was in the same boat a few weeks back. But rather than pasting links constantly try using the 'Search' function or even Google.

I chose the Denon 1912 (Based on a recommendation from here) and matched it with some Q Acoustic 2050's (Soon to add more) and it's been fantastic. Pretty much based on research.

So to be more helpful: Clicky

Have a read up on why Impedance matters. (As I did) :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  24. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Hi.
    OK, now that's settled. Interconnects. Cheap Asda/Tesco HDMI cables are fine (look for the new High Speed logo HDMI :: Manufacturer :: Trademark and Logo or an older package which states "High Speed" with the HDMI logo. If there's not much price difference, may as well get the "High Speed with Ethernet" version, but don't know of any kit that uses it.).
    Actually, the Tesco ones are a bit much. Don't spend more than that. Plenty of misleading advertising/retailers out there. HDMI cables either work properly, or they don't (green stuff on screen, blanking screen, or HDCP failures) and are therefore faulty and just need replacement.
    And speaker wire... Cambridge Symphony 100 from Richer Sounds all of a pound a meter. Normally make the front L/R the same length, likewise the two surrounds should be the same length too. Measure what you need carefully; but note that cables that don't reach is a big problem, a small coil is contingency, a large coil is wasteful and could negatively impact sound quality.
    --
    Regards, Iain.
  25. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,904
    Get the Jamo speakers as they will be fine with your Yamaha. It is often better to have an amp that has more power than the speakers anyway as it gives more head room and better sound quality. However, although the Yamaha states 100W per channel it will put nothing like this out over 5 channels. Look at the size of the power supply and divide that by 5 as a more accurate measure of the power per channel.
    Also no need to change the Yamaha to 6ohms, leave it set to 8 ohms. The 6 ohm setting does nothing that you can not do by being careful with the volume and the 6 ohm setting can actually reduce sound quality. Just leave it set to 8 ohms and if it starts to sound bad (distortion) turn it down a bit. I suspect you will never get to that point as it will be too loud to be comfortable to listen too before it reaches this point.
    If you do not have a sub then the front L/R speakers will be set to large anyway and you will not be able to change it.
  26. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    the speakers come with 30m speaker cable think that quite enougth so ill make sure i jsut use the requirrecd length and thanks gratefully for you help
    i have a hdmi so that that sorted
    :smashin:
  27. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    o and also can you help with the layout of the speakers
  28. podgey3874

podgey3874 Member

Ratings:
    +3

i have this speaker wire 30m of it 30m FISUAL COVERT SPEAKER CABLE
    is there anything else i need
    also have the hdmi lead
    hopefully i am good to go if not please advise
  29. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Hi.
    You'll need 1 HDMI lead to connect amp to TV, plus one HDMI lead to connect each device (bd player, PS3, etc) to amp.
    If your TV does not support Audio Return Channel (ARC), you'll need a suitable lead (normally TOSLINK) to connect the TV back to the amp.
    Obviously, you'll need places to put everything and mains supply for everything, antenna feed for anything (TV, sat box, freeview PVR, etc) that needs it. A surge protected extension lead is probably worthwhile.
    That amp would appear to support 3 methods of dealing with your iphone. Either the dock (YDS-12), or Bluetooth wireless (YBA-10). Or a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable plugged from the iphone headphone port to the portable jack on the front...
    --
    Regards, Iain.
  30. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,904
    Looks like you have all you need for now.
    If you give a quick sketch of the room we can advice on best speaker positioning. Otherwise do a search under Dolby speaker placement or THX speaker placement as there are lots of speaker layouts to look at.