1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you watching tonight/watched last night??? Part 9

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DrWise, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrWise

DrWise Active Member

Ratings:
    +947
    Just watched Oceans thirteen can't get enough of this movie quality 8/10
    and yeah thought id start a new thread
  2. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo Active Member

Ratings:
    +259
  3. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo Active Member

Ratings:
    +259
    karlp606, I came to pretty much the same conclusions regarding Source Code.. Tried to be a mixture of other, more superior films and failed miserably impo....
  4. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo Active Member

Ratings:
    +259
    Just watched 'A Lonely Place To Die' Not bad at all... Retained my attention throughout while keeping me entertained. Good effort....

7/10
  5. DrWise

DrWise Active Member

Ratings:
    +947
    think i need to watch a lonely place to die seems like people are enjoying it
  6. Marky1973

Marky1973 Active Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Bit late to the party, but watched Antichrist last night......uncomfortable, challenging and thought-provoking.......very well made horror with great performances from the leads. I can see how some might see it as pretentious rubbish, but I thought it was stunning.....although part of me thinks von Trier wants to polarise his audience......will check out some more of his stuff now......looking forward to Melancholia.

Might have to watch Antichrist a few times to fully appreciate all the detail.
  7. lucasisking

lucasisking Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,742
    Logan's Run

I havent seen this in ages (always loved those Sandman pistols as a kid). Very, very seventies, but in a way this gives it just the detached, otherworldly quality it needs. It's a great sci-fi tale. And Jenny Agutter was dee-licious back in the day.

But dear lord does this movie need a re-make. The acting is terrible, the action like something in an average Star Trek episode, and the final third goes on and on and on. And on.

In fact a remake may be on the cards:

Logan's Run (2014) - IMDb

It better be good.
  8. Marky1973

Marky1973 Active Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Just finished Hangover 2......not as good or funny as the first.but still entertaining for an easy evening with a beer or two!
  9. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,727
    Water For Elephants (2011)

Robert Pattinson, Reese Witherspoon, Christoph Waltz, Hal Holbrook

Really enjoyed this, all the cast were good, star was the elephant though.
  10. GloryHornet

GloryHornet Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Raging Bull

Excellent film. Great performance. Horrible man.

4 out of 5
  11. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Goo-oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-d Mo-ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-rning Vietnam ! ...was my movie at zero, nine-hundred hours. It was fun to see the young Robin Williams again. This is one of the best films about Vietnam and has a comedic side too. Vietnam and comedy together is difficult but Robin made it look easy. :thumbsup:
  12. redcat1

redcat1 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    watched the adjustment bureau last night. Alot better than i was expecting 7/10
  13. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,143
    Just watched a blast from the past, Lifeforce from 1985! Netflix has finally launched in Ireland so there's plenty of classics on there.

I have always remembered seeing this film in my teens. Anyone familiar with the film will know the sole reason I watched it back then... ;)

Not a bad film, cheesy bits and some poo special effects but a bit of fun. 7/10

And yes, she's as hot as I remember her!
  14. Metalhead Pete

Metalhead Pete Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Killer Elite, not brilliant by any means and it was apparently based extremely loosely around true events but it was alright for a Saturday night beer and takeaway flick. Better than I was expecting if I'm honest, worth a rent. 7/10
  15. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +187
    funnily enough i watched it as well

better than average i'd say and certainly better than the last few films i've watched.....
    i'm sure i read the feathermen years ago...a book that the filmis 'loosely' based on

cheers
  16. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,727
    Project Nim

Fascinating and emotional documentary that took place in the early 70's, about the raising of a chimp in a human-only environment.
  17. ArabChris

ArabChris Active Member

Ratings:
    +132
    Got project nim yesterday so glad to hear positive reviews, looking forward to it
  18. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I watched a Blu double feature last evening. First up was Life Is Beautiful. I really like the way this film makes levity out of a dark subject, concentration camp. This movie scores thousands of points with me.... ;) My second feature was Little Fochers. It's really a below average comedy but I enjoy Robert DeNiro's performance as Frank Byrnes so much that I wanted to watch it again.
  19. Vipers @ HiFi Lounge

Vipers @ HiFi Lounge Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +576
    Watched Nine this afternoon, actually didn't know it was a musical but fantastic cast and really enjoyed the film, 4/5, Penelope Cruz didn't look to shabby also :rolleyes:

This evening watched Nowhere Boy, fantastic film, detailing the formative years of John Lennon, a great watch if you do or don't like the Beatles 4/5.
  20. GloryHornet

GloryHornet Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Adjustment Bureau - I liked this much more than I expected to. It's a romp from start to finish, you don't have to think about it just let it wash over you. I'm sure a more intellectual viewer could found faults but it was fun

4 out of 5

Cowboys and Aliens

Interesting premise, not so much an interesting film. For an action film there's a lot of time where nothing happens. Mr Craig gets his top off for the girls, Olivia Wilde is semi nude for the boys and Ford looks older than ever.

3 out of 5

The Guard

Best film of the day, so funny. Brendan Gleeson needs to be in more stuff, in fact I'm going to search through his filmography and see more of his films. The humour is very dry, a bit like my own, and it felt real enough that you could believe in this, foul mouthed, drug taking, racist (or is he?) copper who loves his Mum.

4 out of 5
  21. Marky1973

Marky1973 Active Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Rabbit Hole.......simple but effective drama looking at the effects of the loss of a child. Set 8 months after the event, it is a subtle, and often humorous look at bereavement and dealing with its impact...... 4/5 if you are in the mood for something like this.......and great performances from whole cast.
  22. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    Few from Saturday evening:

Intolerable Cruelty - Quite enjoyable with some funny moments. Thought George Clooney was great. Overall, an above average comedy rom film and I'm never usually a fan of the Coen brothers - 6/10

Warrior - Amazing film, similar to a Rocky-style film in some ways but much grittier and a lot more interesting back stories with some truly great fight scenes. Think it might have immediately crept into my Top 25 purely based on the fact that it even made my shed a tear at the end! 9/10
  23. QuestShield

QuestShield Active Member

Ratings:
    +283
    Real Steel - I'm a big robot buff so loved this. the FX are amazing. I know it's just Rocky with robots but still thoroughly enjoyed it, so did the wife.
  24. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,143
    As an MMA geek, I've been championing (pun intended) this film since I first saw it, just ordered the Blu yesterday.

I'd love to see some recognition during "award season" for this, especially for Nolte. Doubt it will happen though, a "cage fighting" film (hate that term) is probably not going to get much help from the Academy etc.
  25. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    Well it's no different than say Rocky, The Fighter, Million Dollar Baby except that I'd say it's a much superior film, or at least as good as Rocky (much better fight sequences than Rocky). Even the missus loved it :smashin:
    I've always been a big fan of MMA - used to rent the UFC videos from Blockbuster when it started in the US and it was the only way to see it over here :)

Nolte was amazing in it, and I agree, definitely an award winning performance, although it was a little sad he kind of disappeared towards the end of the film. Tom Hardy was also brilliant, even though he didn't have to do much more than look angry and p*ssed :)
    I'd highly recommend that film to everyone - a must-watch :thumbsup:
  26. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,143
    Boxing has always been huge and mostly accepted in the US though. It's a "respectable" form of beating the poop out of someone. MMA may be growing massively but it's still a way out from mainstream acceptance.

Home come I haven't seen your ugly mug in the MMA threads! :nono: :D
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  27. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    :laugh: mainly because I don't really get a chance to watch much nowadays. I sometimes catch a bit of an old UFC championship on one of the Freeview channels (5* I think) but it's rarely on and I'm always watching something else on my main Virgin box :(
    Should really start recording it (presume it's on ESPN or something similar) as I did used to love it back in the day :smashin:
  28. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,143
    ESPN has the lot at the minute. Loads on too, in the middle of 3 events in 3 weeks at the minute.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    Think I'll setup a wishlist on my TiVo :D
  30. Vipers @ HiFi Lounge

Vipers @ HiFi Lounge Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +576
    Watched Dorian Gray tonight recorded from over xmas, thoroughly enjoyable story, I wasn't aware of the previous film or book so had no expectations to meet, just a really great story acted out with a great cast and some excellent sets 4/5.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.