Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the least rubbish 'party' games?

Discussion in 'Wii & Wii-U' started by David 8, Dec 14, 2010.

1. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I've been told to take my Wii home this xmas for some 'family fun'. Thing is I haven't really got many suitable games. I've got Wario Ware Smooth Moves which has been a bit of a hit in the past but I think the novelty of that may have worn off. Wii Sports is reliable but boring. I think Mario Kart might be too complicated for them. I know there are a lot of mini game collections for the Wii and I've always just ignored them in the past because they all look rubbish to me. I don't really know where to start looking. Which ones are considered to be best?

Thanks
  2. Amph

Amph Active Member

Ratings:
    +641
    Wii Party is lots of fun, simple for all and has different game modes. No motion plus required either.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I notice there's a number of threads about it, is that one of the better ones then? I've checked out the videos and it looks a bit lame to me and not sure it looks like it's worth £30 either... I was hoping more along the lines of a tenner off ebay.

I've only got 2 sets of controllers as well so games where you share would be good.

What about those raving rabbids games? My missus keeps going on about Just dance as well, is that actually any good? How about any quiz style games?

I've also just remembered that I've got Wiiware title Bomberman Blast but I know it'll be too frantic for them and they'll just switch off.

This is like a gaming nightmare for me. Maybe I'll just stick to the bowling, everyone likes the bowling :suicide:
  4. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll has around 20 mini games as well as a cracking 2 player co-op mode for the main game and can be bought for around a tenner. The older Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz has 50 mini games and can be picked up for little more than a fiver :smashin:

I've spent the last few weeks putting together a review of all the mini games on the two Monkey Ball titles to share with everyone as it's a mixed bag but on the whole, there is definitely plenty here that you'd enjoy and virtually all the mini games are 2+ simultaneous play as opposed to taking turns like in Wario Ware Smooth Moves. Will aim to get the reviews up by Xmas :rolleyes:

Rayman Raving Rabbids is also good, the one to get is Rayman Raving Rabbids Party Collection which is a compilation of Rayman Raving Rabbids, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 and Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party. This gives a total of 180 mini games :D

Just Dance is *ok* but the women enjoy it far more than the blokes. In fact, I've yet to find any bloke who prefers this over other party/mini type games. Not tried any quiz type games but you could always go for Trivial Pursuit.

Finally, you might also want to pick up Wii Play if you have any kids as they all seem to love this. Has 9 very simple mini games but they're good fun and great value. If you buy new you get an extra remote. Secondhand, you should be able to pick this up for less than a fiver.

EDIT: Super Monkey Ball reviews now up at http://www.avforums.com/forums/wii-games/1378835-super-monkey-ball-banana-blitz-vs-super-monkey-ball-step-roll-mini-reviews.html
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  5. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Thanks for that Dodger Geezer very helpful. I might go for Raving Rabids collection then as it seems like good value for £18. I'll also see if I can pick up a cheap copy of monkey ball off ebay. I might give Just Dance a miss...

Any other suggestions are welcome
  6. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Rayman Raving Rabbids has a hilarious Just Dance type mini game anyway which is a lot more fun than Just Dance :D

There were a few copies of Monkey Ball Banana Blitz being sold on the forums a few weeks back, you might want to try there before eBay :smashin:
  7. buzlightyear

buzlightyear Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Rabbids is the way to go. hours of fun there.
  8. everett_psycho

everett_psycho Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,028
    trivial pursuit is 2 fo £25 on play, i got a copy coming for my mum as she has a wii with the 2 wii sports games and wii fit and i thought she could actually work this one out without calling me for instructions.

As for the rabbids, the novelty eventually wears off but when they are new they are brilliant fun. Make sure you give it some single player action first though to unlock the best games for your family, otherwise they will have to endure some of the weaker games which a lot of people just find tedious
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Thanks for that. I had to do a similar thing with Wario Ware and unlock all the levels first. I'll have a think about trivial pursuit. The hardest part of all this is trying to work out what peoples attention spans are.
  10. everett_psycho

everett_psycho Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,028
    if they requested your wii and not a ps3 or xbox then i'm guessing quite short :D
  11. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    :laugh:

very true - too many damn buttons on those controllers.
  12. Amph

Amph Active Member

Ratings:
    +641
    I find that statement to be very rude, I mean the Wii is er... um.... sorry, just noticed a dog with a puffy tail walking past.... what was I saying?:blush: :D

Boom Blox Bash Party is great multiplayer fun and rated highly by norms and critics alike. It's like Jenga, but angry and destructive. Plus the controls are really simple.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Boom Blox does look good but could be risky due to it being a puzzle game and therefore requiring actual brain power...

I ordered the Raving Rabbids collection for 12.99 from hmv. I'll see how it goes.
  14. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Boom Blox Bash Party is good but it's not a proper multiplayer as you have to take it in turns to play the game. Ditto the co-op mode.

@Amph, excellent Simpsons gag :D