1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wharfedale DVDR24HD160F faulty

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by bonzobanana, Jun 29, 2009.

1. bonzobanana

bonzobanana Active Member

Ratings:
    +222
    I've been upto my old tricks again buying another faulty dvd recorder off ebay. This is my last one for a while as I don't need anymore now. This one for the grand total of about £20.05 minus quiddco.

[​IMG]

The seller stated that since coming back from holiday the wharfedale has been permantly stuckin setup and there is nothing displayed on screen. I guessed that they turned the power off before leaving for holiday and the wharfedale lost its settings. I also guessed that this would result in the wharfedale going back to scart mode and that the wharfedale had been originally configured to hdmi. So when he came back there was no picture via hdmi and he assumed the recorder was faulty. Anyway I managed to get it for £13.10 plus postage. I thought even if the recorder itself was faulty I'd get a 160gig hard drive out of it.

Feature wise it has a dvd+r/-r/+rw/-rw type optical drive. Thats what the specification says but on one of the pages it says only dvd+r/+rw so not sure which is true another page contradicts again.

It has front av inputs with only composite and no s-video (there is a reason for that) plus DV/firewire input. At the back two scarts. coaxial digital output, RF in and out plus 2 audio out phonos and a composite output. There is no analogue tuner.

Component appears to be strangely setup on the wharfedale if I'm reading the instructions correctly if you select interlace the scart gives out RGB but if you select progressive the scart gives out a progressive component output and the manual shows a picture of an adaptor cable that goes from scart to 3 phonos for component and you have to run a seperate audio cable from the two audio phonos to the tv (I bet it would also work from scart as well though). Not seen this arrangement before. Not seen the adaptor cable available to do this either. Neither have I seen any wharfedale owners asking where to get the cable . Very strange. The scart input socket is configured for RGB I believe but I've not tried this yet. No support for s-video on any sockets at all. The other socket is of course hdmi which can display 576p, 720p and 1080i. It doesn't do 1080p.

These wharfedales which are actually made by Vestel of turkey are very modular. You can get the same model with or without a hard drive plus a choice of hard drive sizes plus you can get it with either a analogue or a freeview tuner. The freeview tuner connects via s-video. This is one up on some of the Toshiba models currently sold which are only connected via composite but not as good as models with a RGB connection which I think my Panasonic has but I could be wrong. No dvd recorders as far as I know take the raw digital information from the DVB-T tuner for recording, only freeview pvrs do that. I've not seen a dvd recorder where you have the option to just record freeview direct to hard drive without choosing a quality setting.

General operation of the Wharfedale is ok. The remote layout isn't amazing but acceptable. The menu's themselves seem logical. Editing is basic and not very user friendly.

I have experience of 3 other dvd recorders, 2 panasonics which I own, a sony my mother owns and now this wharfedale. Its powered by a LSI logic processor but I don't know how this compares to other dvd recorders. No mention of divx or anything like that. It can play mp3s from disc you can't move them to hard drive.

You can dub files to a dvd while recording a freeview program and while watching a stored video. You can not do any editing at all while dubbing.

Splitting files is slower than the panasonic and deleting sections of files only skips those sections rather than removing the bits. If you dub to dvd the bits won't be recorded. So to fully reclaim hard drive space you have to delete the file rather than edit it.

From what I've read elsewhere if you replace the hard drive it will automatically prepare it, itself. You don't have to get any special discs or service remotes.

I bought this for a bedroom CRT set and for that purpose is more than satisfactory. I can't imagine using it in the living room because it just wouldn't be satisfactory for me in that regard especially on a 42" display which I have. Its certainly eccentric in design. Why limit recording to composite and s-video quality and then fit a hdmi socket with upscaling where the limitations of composite and s-video would be more striking. The reality is the hdmi socket is a pointless addition. Whats more annoying is the earlier vestel model that wharfedale rebranded which didn't feature hdmi output had RGB recording!

Good points.

Excellent quality samsung optical drive (reads iffy dvd video discs no problem)
    160GB hard drive plus you can upgrade it yourself (not confirmed).
    Has RGB scart passthrough when in standby.
    My unit is multiregion. I tried my region 1 of 'finding nemo' and it played.
    Good picture quality from dvds in scart RGB or hdmi.
    Upscaling HDMI output to 1080i (not tried yet and only really useful for DVD playback)
    Can watch dvds even NTSC dvds while recording from freeview.
    Can watch video from HDD while freeview is recording to HDD and also dubbing from HDD to DVD.
    digital video input for recording from camcorders.

Bad points.

No s-video inputs
    Only records from external sources at composite quality.
    Freeview recording is composite quality.
    Internal fan triggered by heat sensor is quite noisy. Could be annoying if used in a bedroom.
    Basic Editing.
    Known reliability issues.
    Wierd progressive component output option requiring special cable (confirmed).
    Easy to end up with a black screen if you select various options wrongly.
    No divx playback.
    MP3 file manager is pretty basic.
    No ability to move files onto HDD except actual recordings.
    High power consumption (a revised version of this model reduces this but is also a major reliability problem in that it can struggle to come out of standby but you have the option to disable low power standby mode. Its normal consumption is about 38 watts and 24 watts in standby)

Summary.

A poorly designed product with regard important features, performance and usability. It gets the job done in a rough unsatisfactory way.

Please note the Logik LDVR1608 and LDVR808 are the same vestel origin as the wharfedale except for the styling differences plus the LDVR808 only features a 80gig hard drive. Not sure if the Logik models feature hdmi output.

Please also note I'm not recommending this set. Its working for me but if you have the money and don't like fiddling and playing about with gadgets like me you'd be better off with a higher quality, easier to use recorder like a panasonic or sony.

Argos do not provide good support for this unit. The manual is poorly written. Vestel do not provide good support. They are practically unreachable if you have questions as they are an oem supplier and aren't really interested in the end customer.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. thepfy

thepfy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I think some of the Samsung recorders dump the program stream directly to disc as you can't select SP / EP / LP when recording from Freeview.
  3. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    That sounds like a really good feature of samsungs but from what I've read here generally samsung's aren't recommended due to other issues.

My wharfedale has a strong samsung connection because looking at this site here I have both a samsung optical and hard drive. Which is good news as samsung are highly rated for these. Although when it comes to hard drives western digital are my favourite but for optical I think samsung are the best.

wharfedale internal pictures

Getting the hang of the wharfedale more now. Its a bit crude in some ways.

You can watch ntsc dvds while it records pal freeview programs to the hard drive.

As far as I can tell it doesn't feature chasing playback for programs being recorded. They don't appear in the hard drive listing until they are finished but you can pause live tv etc. I was trying to find an option to disable it to save hard drive wear and tear but mine doesn't appear to have it. Nor does it have the option of a low power standby mode as far as I can tell. I'm sure I've read somewhere these recorders do but it causes problems. So I'm not sure if my recorder has a earlier or later firmware.

Build quality externally is surprisingly good. The plastic feels pretty solid, the buttons seem strong and its fairly weighty.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  4. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    Just noseing about and found out the optical drive is the same as fitted to the Sony RDRVX420 and probably other sony models and is dual layer not that the wharfedale implements dual layer recording as far as I know. Samsung have a strong manufacturing connection with sony and in the past when sony reluctantly started selling vhs recorders their first models were made for them by samsung if I remember rightly.

So if someone has a duff sony dvd recorder with a faulty optical drive a cheap wharfedale might be a solution for parts. From what I understand wharfedales have a highish failure rate although much of this I would put down to the appalling unfriendly nature of it. Even changing to NTSC instead of PAL or MULTI caused me to lose the picture and my tv is NTSC compatible. It came back eventually after unplugging but thats three ways you can lose tv output, set it to ntsc, progressive or hdmi when not appropriate and you've got a black screen. Only hdmi is an option on the remote to recover the right mode and you have to be careful with that as its very slow switching between each mode. So there are two choices that might require the dvd recorder being reset and unplugged. These are the sort of design errors you get when the manufacturer isn't interested in customer feedback. With a Panasonic you can almost guess the most logical way a feature would be implemented and thats how Panasonic implements it most of the time. That certainly doesn't apply to the Wharfedale.

On the positive side though once you know the wharfedale pitfalls in design you can avoid making the same mistake again and it becomes very usable.
  5. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    Here's a picture of the vestel model that the wharfedale is based on. You don't see this model over here.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  6. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    Ok more information about my wharfedale so that anyone googling the model number might pick this up and get a bit of information which I couldn't find.

Firstly media compatibility is superb obviously thanks to the samsung optical drive. I have half a dozen roughly copied dvd discs from the past which wouldn't work on my standalone dvd players. They would play most of the way through and then struggle in the last 15 minutes normally. Not one disc struggled in the wharfedale. All played perfectly to the very end. As previously stated these samsung drives are fitted to various dvd recorders. I'm sure they are fitted to samsung models for a start. Also sony models and vestel models (wharfedale, acoustic solutions, logik and I'm sure a few others too). The logik version of the vestel which has a similar button layout to the actual vestel case would I'm sure have the same drive too.

[​IMG]

The file menu for mp3s is pretty basic and there is no obvious option for storing mp3s on the hard drive. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. It doesn't play divx/xvid. It will play unauthored mpeg files on cds/dvds but thats it.

You can not copy dvd videos to the hard drive at all even unprotected videos.

There are remote codes for resetting video output modes in the manual to get back from a black screen. Its very easy to get a black screen with the wharfedale.

The scart external input on this is composite only as far as I can tell which is pretty poor.

I've tried a couple of sources via scart with RGB output and its obvious the wharfedale is only accepting composite. The wharfedales own menus are RGB as is DVD playback which is superb quality. As soon as you select scart input it goes to composite. As the freeview tuner appears to be s-video (its noticably cleaner than the scart input but doesn't look as good as RGB) there is no way of getting RGB signals into the wharfedale in anyway at all. I've changed my mind about the freeview tuner being connected by s-video. Looking at some of the banners and logos the dot crawl is evident even if it seems less than from external inputs. I'm guessing the freeview tuner is just better paired to the recorder side being an internal connection.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  7. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    We'll I've been gradually finding more information about the wharfedale as I use it. So my good and bad points have been changed. I think anyone reading the first post will realise the very poor design and functionality of the wharfedale. Add to this a bad reputation for reliability and these models and perhaps other models based on vestel designs can not be recommended. This is in no way reflects on vestel freeview pvrs that don't feature a dvd drive but are purely hard drive based. I have one of these myself and its excellent. Also many top brands are happy to put their name to vestel freeview boxes and pvrs but only low end brands are happy to put their name on vestel dvd recorders. Also it has to be said that vestel have an almost monopoly on the supply of freeview boxes and pvrs with the majority being vestel sourced sold in the uk. At least for the standalone freeview tuners, there is more competition with regard pvrs. The same can not be said for their dvd recorders which only achieve a small percentage of sales compared to other brands. They seem to be exclusively sold under only three brands; wharfedale, acoustic solutions and logik for the current vestel dvd recorder models.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  8. RussWWFC

RussWWFC Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I have just got one of these, £36 for a "new" one off of eBay. I am pretty pleased with it, only problem I have with it is the very noisy fan which seems to come on every 10 minutes at the worst times. Though sometimes it will go hours without coming on.

Any ideas if I can adjust this, if the worst comes to the worst I will just switch it off when not using it, but I like being able to leave it to record things, saves me having to use my PVR to record a program, then feeding it through the scart

Given up with the rowdy sod now - all the discreteness of Jordan after a skinful. Why the hell they put such a noisy fan that comes on at random is beyond me, the person who thought this would be a good idea needs their testicles wired up to the national grid
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  9. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    Both the optical drive and hard drive have a standard molex power connector so if you can find a low volume pc cpu fan you might be able to use that and then disconnect the fan under the hard drive. You may find by adjusting the screws or position of the existing fan you can reduce the noise levels as an alternate option. Another option is to simply disconnect the fan with no alternate cooling. A bit risky though. Fan noise is a problem on many dvd recorders and it seems to vary a lot with even the same model.

I must admit I prefer dvd recorders that have a fairly small low power fan on all the time which you can't hear rather than designs with a bigger fan where it constantly turns on and off with the heat level.
  10. RussWWFC

RussWWFC Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Oh well, it's off at the wall now. It's not like I need it to be on all the time as I have a Sky and Freeview PVR.

Apart from the fan noise it's a decent product. Editing is fairly basic but it gets the job done and playback of DVD's and VCD's is excellent
  11. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    The wharfedales have another wierd feature in the way they handle hdmi. When viewing copied or unprotected dvds without macrovision they don't need hdcp on the display device (i.e. no macrovision on the disc) and when viewing live freeview channels via hdmi they don't need hdcp but playing back commercial dvds and recordings from hdd it does require hdcp. This doesn't seem to be effected by the output resolution. Strange really. Also it may be possible to link through the front av input and scart input to hdmi even without hdcp on the display device. Its very wierd handling of hdcp. It may just be a one off issue with my Hewlett Packard monitor which doesn't feature hdcp but if it applies to all pc monitors without hdcp but with dvi inputs it does mean the wharfedale can double up as a freeview tuner for such monitors and also play some dvds through it.
  12. lasaudrais

lasaudrais Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a couple of the Logik models, both have stopped responding to anything, so I suspect they need a reboot. Does anyone no how to reboot this model, please?
  13. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    Not sure what you mean by reboot but there are things you can try. If you have access to a working Logik or Wharfedale you can do a hdd swop and reformat the hdd because sometimes its a corrupt hdd that stops it booting.

Also make sure there are no discs left in the optical drive. This is one of the most common causes of booting problems because a corrupted writable disc causes the recorder to just keep trying to read it and not start up properly. This is true of lots of dvd recorders.

You can try leaving unpowered all night but if that doesn't work you could try disconnecting the psu board from the logic/SOC board inside for a few hours so there is no chance of the large psu board caps preventing the logik board from resetting.

A common fault seems to be the psu board though giving out erratic or reduced voltage which will need replacement or repair at the component level.

The two above solutions are the most likely if all you get is the standby light and it won't switch on at all. Normally hard drive and optical drive issues get stuck at the 'preparing' stage and never come out of it.

Please note I'm not a service engineer but have fixed some of these recorders by swopping boards around and tinkering.

The psu board seems to be the weakest link. I found a psu board in one of these which was very poorly assembled. I.e. missing solder.

Also sometimes the freeview tuner boards seem to overheat and require additional cooling.

Generally they are functional dvd recorders and still better than the awful Sony DC range but please be aware they record everything at composite quality. Thats from its built in tuner and from external sources (even though they have RGB bypass for scart).

Also be aware they consume more power in standby (upto 24 watts) than some dvd recorders like the samsung range do when actually on. They are very energy inefficient.
  14. RussWWFC

RussWWFC Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Mine had calmed down noise wise, but it appears to be no longer working :(

I had a DVD in it and went to switch it on, the LCD display had "preparing" on it (as it always does when coming out of standby. So I took unplugged it, left it for 5 minutes, now it does nothing when I power it up. The standby light is on, but no LCD display and the unit is unresponsive. Will leave it off overnight, see if that helps and take it from there
  15. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    That is the typical wharfedale failure routine. Quite common I think. If leaving it unplugged overnight doesn't work you could try disconnecting the cables from the psu board to the main logic board (between hdd and optical drive) and leaving overnight.

It could just be a corrupted hdd, the fact it said preparing and wouldn't go any further and then you had to turn it off means it may not be properly configured.

I've come across this before though where simply replacing the psu board with a good board sorted the problem and I suspect this is the most likely.

On one occasion I managed to get the recorder working again by disconnecting the internal fan. It seemed like the small drop in current required was enough to get it working again.

It seems poor quality psu boards can cause flakey operation of these units.

Best of luck.
  16. RussWWFC

RussWWFC Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for you help. Turning off overnight did not help, will try unplugging the transfer cables (as opposed to the power cables) on the board between the 2 drives and leaving overnight and see what happens. After that I will try disconnecting the fan. If not the final step will be to try a hard drive format, after that it I think I will have to eBay it as I don't fancy replacing any boards
  17. RussWWFC

RussWWFC Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Well I unplugged the cables and left it off for a couple of hours. Also tried switching it on without the hard drive plugged in - still no joy. Think I'm going to have to give up on this one, I suspect it's a faulty board.

Will have to try and get rid of it on eBay - any idea on how I can get my DVD out? - the eject button is not working - the only sign of life is fan noise and the standby light being on
  18. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    With the top off you should be able to remove the top of the dvd drive without having to fully disassemble it. Its normally a samsung drive of some description. Sometimes its just 2 or 4 screws at the top and then it hinges off maybe at the front. Sometimes it just clicks off if no screws are present. Once the top is off just remove the disc.

It may be worth trying holding down a button or two when you turn it on from the mains to see if you can reset it that way. I phoned the wharfedale support line years ago and they told me to hold down both channel buttons on the recorder as I turned it on at the mains. Great help that was when there are no channel buttons on the recorder. I assume they were thinking of an earlier model but not a lot of help to me. I tried numerous combinations of the five buttons actually present but no luck.
  19. peanutnboo

peanutnboo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    please excuse the hi-jack but it occurred to me any answers to my questions might be helpfult to other Wharfedale owners that find this thread. Happy to put my questions on a new thread though.

I would like to ask if you would be prepared to post a easy connection and start up guide for this recorder ?
    I have just purchased 2x new DVDR24HD250F models and am experiencing extreme frustration as I am completly new to DVD recorders.

After many hours of reading the manual and searching the net I have completed setup and managed to record to a DVD+RW disk (3x 1/2 hour programs) stored on my Sky+ box.

However the recorder has since managed to erase a further 3x recordings on another DVD+RW by itself ?
    It often refuses to accept 'record dub' when a DVD+RW disk with previous recordings is put in the tray ?

I think it is either the program settings or the record sequence I am getting wrong but the damn thing is so slow to respond I may be locking it up by being impatient.It doesn't help when the recorder just says 'root' and won't respond to the 'video source' or 'record/dub' buttons when a partially recorded DVD+RW disk is inserted

All I want to do with this recorder is to
    a) play commercial DVD's through my LCD TV (AOC L32W )
    b) Record saved programs on my Sky+ box to DVD+RW disks

I will never record to hard disk as that is what I use the Sky+ box for.

Q1) How should I connect the TV ,DVD recorder, & Sky+ box with scart leads
    Q2) What sequence should I follow to set the DVD recorder up to record from my saved Sky+ recordings onto a DVD+RW disk ?

what i need to know especially is the sequence of selections on the DVD recorder to get into the correct DVD record mode so I can press play on the Sky+ and press 'Record/dub' on the DVD recorder and burn a disk .

phew sorry for the long post. Hope you can show me where I'm going wrong.:lease:
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  20. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    What brand dvd+rw discs are you using?

It is best to record to hdd on the wharfedale and then dub to disc later. Its much more reliable that way.

You are using the right type of dvd+rw though as the wharfedales are optimised for + media but you also need to make sure you are using a good quality disc.

If you are using something like verbatim's and still getting problems your optical drive may be suspect.
  21. peanutnboo

peanutnboo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    the only disks I have at the moment are Asda specials :smashin:

ok ok they are not the greatest but I just ordered some good quality disks to try.

I don't think the disks are the problem as I managed to record onto both . The problem came when i tried to record some more onto the disks.

Some of the remote buttons definitely don't work in certain states. I tried switching off and back on and toggling the HDD/DVD button but couldn't start a recording from Sky+,

I think another problem is the way I have connected everything I was hoping you might be able to tell me the correct linkage. I cannot see the recorder information on the TV screen

I read on another thread that you should not connect the recorder to the VCR scart on the Sky+ box as it was an inferior quality ?

How would you recommend I connect the recorder, Sky+ and LCD TV scarts cables ?

Would you recommend that I record all my Sky+ programs to the recorder hard drive ? then burn them from there ? I find the Sky+ remote very straightforward to select record and to freeze live programs etc. I would imagine it would be a nightmare to live pause Sky+ from the recorder remote whilst recording Sky+ to the recorder HDD
  22. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    While the wharfedales do have RGB bypass which means when in standby they route the RGB signal (from your sky box for example) through the input to the output scart (to your tv) they only actually record in composite quality.

I would recommend a scart from the sky plus box's TV output socket to the wharfedale EXT/Input/Decoder scart socket and then a scart lead from the wharfedale output/tv scart to the tv. Then when you'r not using the wharfedale leave it in standby and the sky image will be crystal clear RGB quality on your LCD tv assuming your LCD tv has a RGB scart socket and you have connected the cable to it. Not all scart sockets are RGB compatible. On many LCDs the first scart is and the second isn't but this varies from none having RGB to both having RGB. Make sure your sky plus box is set to output RGB.

The wharfedale can use dvd-rw discs but they can be problematic. Best discs to use are verbatim dvd+rw and if they don't work then you know the optical drive is at fault. Always format the discs before use in the wharfedale even if it doesn't prompt you to do so.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. peanutnboo

peanutnboo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for all your help.

I guess I'll just have to find a better user guide on the net or persevere and try to work out exactly how to program this recorder so that it will make recordings to DVD from the Sky+ box and allow additional recordings to be added without erasing the existing recordings

What I ,and clearly many other users require, is a simple Step-by-step guide from startup. Or even a flow chart perhaps. The Whafedale clearly has a very unintuitative complex programming sequence for even the simplest of tasks.

I have produced several guides myself for various things such as Bosch fuel injection fault finding and converting video and editing for youtube for example.
    Many people simply do not have either the apptitude or the time to spend days learning a new piece of technology .
  24. Loopthrough

Loopthrough Member

Ratings:
    +179
    Hi I read your info on the Warfedale/ Vestel DVD/HDD recorders and would like to ask the following:

Does it have an annoying really bright blue led when on standby?

Do HDD recordings always resume when you play them (even after the unit is switched off)?

Do DVDs resume in the unit when the unit is switched off, and do DVDs resume when removed from the unit (as with Philips recorders)?

What's the recording time in SP on the HDD?

Does it auto aspect ratio switch from 16:9 to pillarboxed 4:3 on Freeview TV from the inbuilt tuner when in HDMI 1080i mode or do you need to be in 576i/p?

Does it have 576p (progressive scan)?

Is it noisy? Samsung HDDs are normally really quiet, but Vestel have a tendancy (eg their PVRs) to place the HDD right up against the cooling slots!

Thanks in advance. I've got a Philips recorder which is really doing my head in and am considering either this or a Pioneer (or rebadged Pioneer by Sony).

Was considering the LG, but need multi region and it seems to have design flaws, Panasonic have noticable jaggies and the new Sonys are a disaster. Samsung aren't even to be considered and there don't seem to be any other DVD/HDDs on the market!
  25. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,176
    A Wharfedale versus a Pioneer, or Sony/Pioneer ????

There is no serious dilemma here surely?
  26. Loopthrough

Loopthrough Member

Ratings:
    +179
    I know, it sounds ridiculous! I just wanted to see if these Vestels could do anything worthwhile. My experience of Vestel products in the past has always meant they get returned within a few days. I can't stand bad technology.

I've researched this more since posting, gavtech, and it looks like:

PIONEER DVR-LX60D - The KING of DVD recorders: but seems to be discontinued and very pricey now (and difficult to find in multi region).

SONY RDR-HDX970 - Excellent features as it's a Pioneer rebrand (but again, as it's no longer made, I can't find a new multiregion anywhere online)

SONY RDR-DC205 - useless: lacks many essential features and full of annoying flaws which is very surprising for Sony. Although the UI and design are nice.

PANASONIC DMREX83 - Best all round features, but I believe has worse jaggies than the Sony/Pioneer. Very good features and clear Panny UI though.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and Tosh are out as they're just Funai rebrands. LG will not come into my house either, maybe for a LCD monitor or microwave or as part of another companies product, but not anything else!
  27. peanutnboo

peanutnboo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    just don't buy one period. I've just returned two brand new units back to ebuyer because these recorders are rubbish. They cost £65.00 each on clearance which is an indication of their true value.

The manual is incomplete and inadequate.

The proceedure for recording and finalising DVD+r etc is ridiculously difficult requiring all sorts of setting and mode adjustments .

You have to reset everything each time you switch it on which is a pain in the ......

If you want a simple 'one touch' recorder with basic straightforward controls this is definitely not the recorder for you.

Do yourself a huge favour and buy something else which other users recommend:smashin:
  28. imabitlost

imabitlost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    HI

I've got a Wharfedale dvdr24hd250 and the picture suddenly stopped showing- i still have audio. I saw on some other posts thats its about the HDMi setting but I don't have a HD TV to plug it into nor knwo how to fix it. I've took it to a local repair shop but they said the nain board had gone- but it will still record onto disc so with a picture so I don't think this seems to add up. I've got 80 hours of stuff stored on the HDD that I don't want to lose and I can't get in to see the menu to dub it onto disc- is it possible you could help?
  29. RussWWFC

RussWWFC Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Don't you know anyone who has an HDMI TV that you could use to switch back to normal mode (if that is the problem)

You could always buy a HDMI lead cheap off eBay and use a display model in a shop to do it. If an assistant asks, say you are checking compatibility/picture!

Should be in the manual how to change it
  30. imabitlost

imabitlost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the HDMi lead that came with it so I can ask a friend who has one but I'm not sure thats the problem or how to change the settings if its got no picture?