Wharfedale 160GB PVR from Argos - Q &A

Not really, mind you I don't have it in a bedroom.

Don't think series record is available on Freeview yet so I don't know if it can do this. And yes it records the name, some information about the program and subtitles where available.

Thanks.

Hi,

looked on the argos website, and it states that the non HDMI one can also upscale to 1080i, but i thought you couldnt upscale unless it was through a HDMI port.

could you confirm if it does or if its argos being lazy gits and just copying and pasting the same description

thanke kindley

Poobaa

They're just being lazy! :boring:

any chance of some kinda review, run down of all the features or anything, sounds really cool, just curious what the pros/cons are.

Also what kind of tv have you got it hooked up to?

thanks

Hi,

looked on the argos website, and it states that the non HDMI one can also upscale to 1080i, but i thought you couldnt upscale unless it was through a HDMI port.

could you confirm if it does or if its argos being lazy gits and just copying and pasting the same description

thanke kindley

Poobaa

Nah, mine doesn't upscale.

I'm not much of a review writer but i'll give it a bash. The unit isn't the prettiest, but then very few on the market are. It's really simple to use, the remote is very clearly labelled and well laid out.

-You can one-touch record the program you're watching.
-You can also record on the program guide by highlighting the program and pressing record.
-You can record 2 things at the same time and watch either one of the channels you're recording or another previously recorded program at the same time.
- You can start watching something from the start that is still recording.
- You can pause live TV whilst recording something else.

A button on the remote takes you a library of your recordings. It also shows you how much space is used and how much is left on a simple graphical display. You can watch recordings from the start, from where you last stopped watching them or you can directly input how many minutes in you want to start watching.

It also does a cool thing called picture in picture that allows you to have a small image of one channel in the top corner of the screen and you can flick to other channels on the main display at the same time. This means if you're watching something with adverts you can stick in in the box, flick around other channels whist still being able to see the other channel and flick back again when the ads end.

Oh and it's attached to a 26" Philips LCD.

If there's anything else, just ask!

sounds cool, thanks alot, just out of curiosity is there any kinda output to a pc or anything?

cheers?

sounds cool, thanks alot, just out of curiosity is there any kinda output to a pc or anything?

cheers?

There's some kind of parallel port at the back (like an old printer port) which the manual says can be used to update the unit software from a PC. Whether you can transfer stuff back to the PC through it though, I don't know.

can you record onto a dvd recorder
hooked up to the wharfedales h/d?

reduced in argos to £75

Is it possible link this unit up to a standard amp - not sure whats its called, but the two socket audio out connection?

This unit (or at least the 250 HDMI version) is getting more and more bizarre!
I've been checking this everyday on the Argos site and it keeps coming up with out of stock, then today the site is saying it's on special at £10 off normal price :clap: but then it's still out of stock:confused::confused:
Is this how Argos normally operate :eek:

This unit (or at least the 250 HDMI version) is getting more and more bizarre!
I've been checking this everyday on the Argos site and it keeps coming up with out of stock, then today the site is saying it's on special at £10 off normal price :clap: but then it's still out of stock:confused::confused:
Is this how Argos normally operate :eek:
Crazy I know! I spotted that last week - how the heck can Argos trumpet on about a special offer on an item they havn't had in stock for weeks (months??). Like you I was keeping tabs on the website just about every day but my patience has run out now and I'm looking to pick up a Panasonic or Pioneer unit with HDMI. A bit more expensive maybe but at least no hassle factor!

Do any of these four wharfdale units allow you to pad and add extra onto the ends of programmes (to allow for over runs etc) Prefereably pre set, whilst still maintaining a recording title facility - ie Palins europe or whatever ?

Cheers,

Rich.

Am I missing something here? How come the 'DVD-R24HDF DVD Recorder with Freeview and HDMI' is cheaper than either the standard freeview version (without HDMI) or the HDMI version (without the freeview)? :confused:

It's only £120?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5335725/Trail/searchtext>WHARFEDALE+.htm

Yep - think you're missing the 160/250GB hard-disks that make the models real "PVRs" rather than just modern VCRs (with a DVD disc instead of a video cassette).

Hi all, I've a few questions regarding the Wharfedale DVDR160HDF. I bought a couple of these units about 3 or 4 months ago and a power cut has knocked one of them out - all I get is a blue stand-by light. I can probably track down the fault by experimenting with the boards using my working unit but I'm unsure whether this will actually be worth it. How easy is it to get replacement boards if I find the culprit? Would it be simpler to take it down to an electronics shop for fixing rather than locating new boards or should I just write it off and get a new recorder (ouch!).

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi all, I've a few questions regarding the Wharfedale DVDR160HDF. I bought a couple of these units about 3 or 4 months ago and a power cut has knocked one of them out - all I get is a blue stand-by light. I can probably track down the fault by experimenting with the boards using my working unit but I'm unsure whether this will actually be worth it. How easy is it to get replacement boards if I find the culprit? Would it be simpler to take it down to an electronics shop for fixing rather than locating new boards or should I just write it off and get a new recorder (ouch!).

Cheers,
Jim.

If its only a few months old cant you take it back to the shop under warranty :confused:

If its only a few months old cant you take it back to the shop under warranty :confused:

Apparently not. It was from Argos and exempt from their replacement cover. I've been onto trading standards and they say there's nothing I can do either. For the time being, I'm stuck with a dud.

It may be exempt from their replacement cover but its still under manufacturer warranty and they will have to repair it.

It may be exempt from their replacement cover but its still under manufacturer warranty and they will have to repair it.

Damn, wish I'd known that. Given Trading Standards advice that there wasn't anything I could do, I've been poking around inside the unit and have split all the 'warranty void if tampered with' seals. Do you still think I should take it back?

I would definetly take it back if theres a problem later because of the tamper seal just say it was damaged when you were installing the unit.

If the unit develoed a fault within 1 year of purchase then you are entitled to a replacement or refund. These items are only exempt for return under the 30 day thing. If they don't stock them anymore then just contact the manufacturer and get an rma with them.

any one wanting the 160gb pvr with hdmi.if you live near bristol they have them in stock at argos at emerson green at £99.99.7 in stock as of yesterday

I've noticed that Argos do a different version of this one now which has series link. Does anyone know if there's an update for the original to give it that functionality? My firmware is dated May 2007. I check for updates over the air but it doesn't find any. However, I don't receive all the channels, so wondered if the update is on a "channel" which I can't receive either.

Any help much appreciated.

Just got one of these today from the Penrith branch. Impressed, but is the AUX socket supposed to be input and output? I get sound input but no picture. I'm trying to plug a dvd player into the aux socket so I can use the hdmi feed for my projector. Sound appears to go via the scart cable to the wharfedale unit, but I get a blank screen. I think the dvd player outputs RGB on the scart cable, should this work?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom