1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Western Digital or Seagate hard drive?

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by asprint, Nov 21, 2012.

1. asprint

asprint Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I am looking to get a mains powered 2T hard drive to back up music files.

There are two manufactures, Western Digital and Seagate that offer drives at affordable prices.

What have been your experiences with these manufactures is one better than the other or are they both much the same?
  2. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    If you are using the drive for backup then its actual use will be very low compared to a live drive so things like different MTBFs will not really come into play, either will do just as well.
  3. GW43

GW43 Member

Ratings:
    +140
    I think you should try and audition them as they will sound very different.:devil:
  4. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    Especially when you use one of these to connect them

Cynosure v2 USB Cable

a snip at $3549 :devil:
  5. GW43

GW43 Member

Ratings:
    +140
    Interesting to read that there is a 30-day return for your money back, less a 20% re-stocking charge - over $700 to try it basically.

I'll have two!
  6. neilmac

neilmac Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No idea about seagate but I have have used a wd one connected to my squeezebox touch for the last 18 months with no issues whatsoever.
  7. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,084
    I always use WD drives now and won't touch Seagate ones. Seagate did used to be me drive of choice many years ago but in my opinion they've gone downhill and nowhere near WD as far as quality goes.

That's all in my opinion of course :)
  8. testdasi

testdasi Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I assume you mean external HDD. In which case, it is cheaper to get a 3.5" enclosure and add an (internal) HDD. And for internal drive, best value is Hitachi.

As for WD vs Seagate, it used to be Seagate. Now it's WD. I have lost all faith in Seagate after its firmware bug.