Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web Interface v2.0 for Humax Foxsat HDR

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by adrianf36, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Hello Everyone,

I am pleased to announce that Version 2.0 of the Web Interface for the Foxsat HDR is now available for download.

Before I get started on how to upgrade and a quick list of new features there are a few notes of thanks that need to be made. Full credits are in the FAQ included with this release but I must mention a few people who have been instrumental in getting to this point.

Firstly, thanks to af123 (af12345 as he's known here) for allowing us to take his original work on the T2 and port it over to the Foxsat HDR, for sharing the source code to a number of utilities, for his help and support during the development process and for hosting the repository from which you are about to download the upgrade.

Huge thanks to raydon for his help, support and encouragement whilst I battled through the implementation and for resolving a number of issues with the startup scripts and packaging. Without raydon and af123 none of this would have been possible. Thanks!

Lastly, thanks to the beta testers (raydon, partridge and REPASSAC) for their fabulous, contructive feedback during the intial test cycle.

Okay, here it is ......

New Features in v2

FAQ / Quick Tour
    A FAQ and quick tour document is included with this release (link at bottom left of home page). Please take the time to read this before posting questions. It should cover most of the obvious things you need to know.

Updated Media Browser
    The Media Browser is now integrated with a HMT file parser/manipulator allowing you to Lock/Unlock, Protect/Unprotect, Mark new/Watched, Delete, Rename or download a recording.
    [​IMG]

EPG Browsing Funtionality
    Two EPG modules are included in this release - Now/Next and a 7-day view similar to that of the Foxsat Guide page.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EPG Searches
    You can also search the EPG program titles (and optionally program descriptions) for any text of your choice.

Settings Page
    A new Settings page allows you to manipulate a number of web interface and system settings.

[​IMG]

Pre-Requisites
    Please note that this upgrade requires you to be running v4.0.4 of the custom firmware. Please upgrade to that before installing the web interface upgrade.

Download Instructions
    To download the upgrade, browse to the "Package Management" page and click the "Update Package list from Internet" button. Once complete, select the "Upgrades" tab and install the Web Interface upgrade package. This will install the upgrade and several new utilities required by it. Note that this can take in the region of 60s to complete.

Last thing - Please don't post a question asking if/when it will be possible to view/set scheduled recordings via the web interface. This is a work in progress but there are a number of challenges yet to be overcome. Please be patient - I'll be having a short break and then cracking on with that in a few weeks.

That's it. I hope you enjoy using this release. My regards to everyone on the forum.

Adrian
    • Thanks Thanks x 36
  2. raydon

raydon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,076
    Great stuff Adrian. Congratulations on a great job :thumbsup:
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  3. the drone

the drone Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely fantastic update thanks, I like the opt+ options alot, just one thing that I noticed is that when I deleted two episodes of the gadget show the parent folder for the series remained, I FTP'ed into the box to remove it, it also happend with another program that had a parent series folder, is this normal or is it me as I was accesing via an iPad
  4. GaseousClay

GaseousClay Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,398
    Wow, this is brill. I too love the opt+ options especially being able to mark items as watched/new. :smashin:
  5. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Thanks. Glad you like it.

Good point. The Media Browser doesn't currently delete empty parent folders. No reason why it can't be made to do so though. If it's a popular request I'll include in the next release.
  6. swedish cook

swedish cook Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Great stuff, and thanks for the user access control. Is there any security reason not to open the web interface up to the internet once user access control is enabled.
  7. paulburke

paulburke Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Superb.

Well done and huge thank you to all involved.
  8. David500

David500 Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Adrian
    Great work. Thanks to you and everybody who was involved.

Agree delete empty folders would good
  9. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Sorry this is a bit of a long post (and slightly off topic) but wanted to address the question regarding security of allowing access from the Internet.

I've done a very quick search and couldn't find any known exploits for the version of mongoose that we're running. Of course, that doesn't mean to say there aren't any or won't be any in the future ;)

My personal opinion is that there is always a risk with opening up your router to allow unsolicted traffic into your network. However, if you set it up carefully, this risk can be minimised.

• Assign your Humax a static TCP/IP address on your network that is outside of your router's DHCP scope
    • Only open up a single port (port 80 in this case) and use the "port forwarding" feature on your router to forward requests on that port to your Humax
    • Some routers allow you to configure a DMZ on a specific device on your network which will open all ports to that device. Do not do this.
    • Enable logging of all inbound traffic on your router (not all routers have this feature) and check the logs regularly for unexpected attempts to gain access
    • If you know that you'll only ever access the box remotely from a specific place (e.g. from work), and if your router allows, limit external access to specific TCP/IP addresses only. Logging would help you to determine the (probably static) IP address of your workplace.
    • Minimise exposure to the risk by turning off your Foxsat and/or the router port forwarding rule when you know you're not going to be accessing the device remotely
    • Change the password for the "root" user on your box to something other than the default!

So now the potentially scary bit. Let's talk worst case scenarios.

At the end of the day, unless you are able to limit Internet addresses that can access your device, you will be opening up port 80 to anyone on the internet who stumbles across your public TCP/IP address. 99+% of Internet user's don't go round port scanning public addresses to find devices with open ports. But with billions of Internet users out there the <1% that do is a resonable number. Enable logging on your router's firewall if you don't believe me and check it after a few days!

Worst case then ..... someone might be able to "find" your public IP address, bypass the mongoose username/password, guess your new "root" pasword and get access to your box.

Even if this does happen, and someone is able to browse the file system, they're likely to be bitterly dissapointed! It's hardly NASA or MI5 - they won't be making a fortune selling illicitly obtained secrets to the papers! Chances are they'd get bored an move on.

In addition, given that most of the filesystem is read-only there's not a huge risk of permanent damage. However, the writeable bits (such as the /opt folder) could be deleted. This would include any recordings, music or photos you have in the media folders too.

The risk is minimal. You'll need to make your own decision as to whether it's acceptable or not though.

Hope this helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Sorry, one last thing that should have been in the last post.

You should, of course, take the usual precaution of setting a complex password for web access and change it regularly.
  11. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I updated to Raydons Media & File Server 4.0.4 following the 1.00.17 firmware update and then added your very nice looking Web Interface v2.0 this morning. All was working ok but now when I enter the web address (192.168 etc) I get a 'could not connect' message. Restating the Humax allows me to connect again but I soon get the 'could not connect' message again, any idea what could be happening?

Windows Explorer can see the Humax ok at all times
  12. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Hi. Sorry to hear you're having problems.

After re-starting the Humax does the web interface come up okay?

Does it then stop working of it's own accord (one minute it's there and the next it's not) or does it stop responding as you are browsing the web pages?
  13. Centre100

Centre100 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has the new Humax Firmware HPRSFCI 1.00.17 clashed with these add-ons as I too can no longer connect?
  14. Malomaka

Malomaka Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent work. :thumbsup:

Not a major problem but...

On the Now/Next and 7 day EPG, the channel Icon/Picture does not seem to appear for channel 103 'ITV1 Mer South' (all other channels display fine).
  15. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    I had a feeling there would be a few regional channel icons missing I'm afraid. If you're comfortable with telnet you can sort this by doing the following once telnet'd onto your box:

Code:
    cd /opt/var/mongoose/html/img/channels
    ln -s "ITV Meridian E.png" "[COLOR="Red"]ITV1 Mer South[/COLOR].png"

All of the above "ln" command is case sensitive. The bit in red should be replaced with the Channel name exactly as it is displayed in the EPG page (same case, spaces etc.).

Let me know if that works. I'll keep a list of the missing icons and make sure they're included in the next release.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi adrianf36, thanks for the quick reply, it's actually working OK at the moment, I've been happily browsing through pages for about 15 minutes.

On 3 occasions in the past hour it stopped responding whilst browsing through the pages and an AVG oops could not connect page appeared. I was then unable to reach the Web Interface page with Firefox 7, Internet Explorer 9 or Google Chrome but Windows Explorer was OK. Each occasion required the Humax to be switched off and on (by the front button, not a full power off) to reach the Web Interface page again
  17. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    It shouldn't have. Did you upgrade to v4.0.4 of the custom firmware before installing the upgrade?

A I understand it, v4.0.4 of the custom firmware includes the 1.00.17 update from Humax so the OTA transmission shouldn't have had an effect on anything.

Are you still able to telnet to your Humax and/or connect via the SMB share(s)? Is it just web access that seems to have died? If so, does a reboot bring it back?
  18. Centre100

Centre100 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maximumbaz

Please tell me what Humax Firmware you are currently using. I still can't connect even after a power off.
    Thanks
  19. Malomaka

Malomaka Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect fix :thumbsup:
  20. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It's just gone again. I shut down Firefox and restarted it and got the "AVG oops! page not found" again. I also had the page at /faq/faq.html open and that page also has the "page not found" message
  21. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine was updated to 1.00.17 over the air then the Media & File Server 4.0.4 (also with 1.00.17) was applied this morning.
  22. Centre100

Centre100 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi adrianf36

Thanks for the reply.
    I did the v4.0.4 upgrade as soon as it was released but didn't check if the Humax firmware was updated as well.
    Still can't connect using FTP or either Chrome/IE9 over my home network.
    However Network Magic does see it and confirm my IP settings.
    I'll reload v4.0.4 and see what happens.
  23. swedish cook

swedish cook Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks for this, Mongoose isn't a web server I've used before. If possible with my router I will also not open port 80 and instead use a lesser used higher numbered port which is not likely to be scanned and forward to the HDR port 80. Port numbers can be found here List of TCP and UDP port numbers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  24. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Sounds to me like Mongoose is bombing out for some reason. We did see this once or twice during testing but only when we were trying to hammer through all the pages as quickly as possible to get everything tested.

The root cause is still under investigation but it does appear at the moment that mongoose can get upset if you navigate away from a page or click on links on a page before it's fully loaded into your browser. The pipe that mongoose was using to transfer the data for the page you've navigated away from sometimes doesn't get terminated cleanly.

This was one of many reasons for implementing the Channel List filters. The full epg (all channels) can take 20+ seconds to render and it is very tempting to navigate away from the page before it's fully loaded.

Does this sound like it may be the cause? If so, if you try to make a conscious effort to let the page fully load before clicking on anything or navigating away you should find it doesn't happen.

If this all sounds like nonsense, can you provide any other information to help try and track down what's going on? Is it a particular module that you're having problems or have you had problems in different modules?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. raydon

raydon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,076
    Sounds like the mongoose server is suffering the occasional crash. If you are comfortable with using telnet, then you can check the running status of mongoose by entering the command service from the command line. You will then be presented with a list like this:
    Code:
    Foxsat-HDR~# service

Name                 Installed  Autostart  Running
    ----                 ---------  ---------  -------
    telnet               Yes        Yes        Yes
    dropbear             Yes        No         No
    tinyftp              Yes        No         No
    vsftpd               Yes        Yes        Yes
    samba                Yes        Yes        Yes
    mediatomb            Yes        No         No
    twonkymedia          Yes        No         No
    mongoose             Yes        Yes        Yes

Syntax:
            service start <service>
            service stop <service>
            service toggle <service>        (toggles service state)
            service auto <service>          (toggles autostart)

If mongoose is not listed as running then you can restart it by entering the command service start mongoose. You should the be able to access the web interface again without the need for a reboot.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  26. Centre100

Centre100 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've now reinstalled v4.0.4 and noticed during the installation process the screen showed Humax firmware 1.00.17.
    I can now connect as before without issue.
    However the Humax now shows its firmware as 1.00.15, which suggests I'll loose the Humax fixes until the firmware is updated over the air again, then perhaps I'll be unable to connect again.

Any thoughts please?
  27. Heuer

Heuer Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Fantastic work! It is like the old days when they started development of TiVoWeb :thumbsup:
  28. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the suggestions Adrianf36 and Raydon, I've not used telnet before and from the way you say "If you are comfortable with using telnet" I'm guessing it's not something simple. Do you know of any basic guides?
  29. raydon

raydon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,076
    Which operating system are you using ?
  30. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using Windows 7 64bit Home Premium 'BUT' I did a full power off with the Humax using the rear switch and rebooted my router and it seems to be OK at the moment (fingers crossed)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.