Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web Interface Channel Editor Plug-in for Foxsat HDR

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by adrianf36, Mar 5, 2012.

1. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Hello Everyone,

I am pleased to announce the release of a Channel Editor Plug-in for the Foxsat HDR Web Interface.

It has taken almost four months of hard work and dedication by a number of people to bring this functionality to you. Huge thanks are due to Partridge, raydon and REPASSAC for their perseverance and patience throughout this process and for the countless hours they have put into testing each attempt at a solution along the way. Thanks to REPASSAC and Partridge for scripts and analysis of channel data changes during the housekeeping process. In addition, thanks are due to Max Largo from the German iCord forums for a key tip-off and pointer in the right direction which finally enabled us to achieve our goal.

Full credits and instructions for use are in the Guide document which can be found in the documentation pages after installation.

What's Different about this Release?
    There are two key differences between this and the previous version of the Channel Editor:

1. This release is fully integrated into the Foxsat HDR Web interface making it platform independent (the old Windows-only executable has been retired)
    2. Channel edits are now applied as delta changes to the default channel configuration meaning that changes made during the housekeeping process will be retained (new/removed Freesat channels for example)

Why Would I want to Use the Channel Editor?

If you're new to the channel editor functionality then below are some of the primary reasons you might want to use it:

• Renaming Freesat or Non-Freesat Channels
    • Marking default 'Visible' Freesat Channels as 'Hidden' e.g. to hide the regional BBC and ITV channels at Channel Numbers 9xx
    • Marking default 'Hidden' Freesat Channels as 'Visible' e.g. to enable the recording of the BBC 'Red Button' streams
    • Setting Non-Freesat channels to 'Freesat' to enable them to be included in the Freesat Channel list which avoids having to change the Foxsat into 'Non-Freesat Mode' and also facilitates setting of timed programme recordings for non-Freesat channels and channels from other satellites
    Pre-requisites

1. You will need to be running the custom firmware (http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...r-bundle-foxsat-hdr-release-4-0-part-1-a.html) version 4.04 or later
    2. You will need to be running Web Interface 2.61 or higher

Instructions for Use
    Full instructions are contained within the Guide which will be available in the documentation pages of the Web Interface after you install this package.

NOTE that because of the different mechanism used for applying channel edits ALL users will need to configure changes from scratch after install - including those who have been using the previous version of the Channel Editor up to now.

Instructions for Download
    Download in the usual way:

1. Visit the "Package Management" page
    2. Click on "Update package list form Internet" button
    3. Select Upgrades tab
    4. Install the Channel Editor package (note that this will also install the sysclock package which is a required dependency)

I hope you find this updated functionality useful.

My regards to everyone on the forum.

Adrian.
    • Thanks Thanks x 36
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I never bothered with the Channel Editor before, but will definitely install and investigate now

Once again, thanks to all you guys on this forum who've worked so hard on the Foxsat HDR and helped to make a slik purse out of a sow's ear :clap:
    A magnificent supplement to the already brilliant Media and File server bundle :smashin:

Humax developers please take note :lesson:
  3. c2r

c2r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello... I'm a long time reader and user of the file and media server software so registered to say thanks - everything in this package really makes the foxsat the package it should have been out of the box!

Also, I've been thinking... Would it not be possible if the user has a dual tuner configuration for the system to be programmed to 'reserve' at least one of these to a freesat transponder in the background, so that scheduled recordings still do start when on a non-freesat channel - it's probably not that easy I suppose \o:

Thanks again,
    Chris
  4. twosheds

twosheds Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Tried this today & everything seemed to install OK. Made one change using the channel editor (hid channel S4C) & saved changes. When I went to look at the 7-day EPG it displayed this error immediately below the 'search' box

Code:
    Runtime Error: /opt/var/mongoose/lib/epg.class:594: no such table: epg in procedure 'epg' called at file "epg7day.jim", line 45 at file "/opt/var/mongoose/lib/epg.class", line 594 
  5. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    An unfortunate coincidence I think. The error relates to the database containing the EPG data which wouldn't have been touched by the Channel Editor installation (assuming you were already on the latest version of the Web Interface).

The problem seems to be that the database file is corrupt in some way - at least it's reporting that the table that contains the EPG data is not there. It's difficult to know exactly how this happened.

If you connect to the Humax via the samba share or FTP and browse to the /opt/epg directory is there a file called "epgnew.db"? If so, delete the existing epg.db file in the same directory and COPY "epgnew.db" as "epg.db". Before you do this however check the size of the epgnew.db file. If it's about 12MB you should be good to go. If not, it is probably being processed so wait about 5 minutes and check again.

Other alternatives exist for a fix including a full custom environment reset (deleting the DO_NOT_DELETE file) or forcing a re-install of the epg package but these will both require you to set up your WebIf channel lists and Channel Editor customisations again. Preferable to avoid that if possible.
  6. twosheds

twosheds Member

Ratings:
    +4
    A full custom environment reset resolved my problem. Thanks Adrian.
  7. bspks

bspks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been thinking about installing the past version of this for the last month, but it looked a bit complicated.
    Took the plunge with this one, logged on to the HDR from Kubuntu (Linux) using Firefox and installed it.
    It reported as installed ok and using the package mangement section of the Web Interface it showed as installed.
    However, it did not show up in the web interface main page despite rebooting both the HDR and the computer.
    Rebooted the computer into Windows 7, brought up the Web Interface and it was there first time and works beautifully.
    Just tried it today and it's working fine through Kubuntu as well.
    I will admit to not being the greatest Linux expert, preferring to use the GUI package managers supplied with the system to make changes, so no doubt, it was something to do with cached pages or similar in Firefox, but I thought I'd post this in case anyone else finds similar problems.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  8. galleonslap

galleonslap Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've just installed the new channel editor, and the displayed text in the box ends:

<quote>
    cp: can't stat '/opt/channels/FOXSAT-HDR_channels_backup.fcl': No such file or directory
    Error getting size of the input file.
    Configuring sysclock.
    Configuring channel-editor.
    </quote>

Is this correct? Thanks.
  9. galleonslap

galleonslap Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Further to my own post, I found I had V2.5 of webif installed. I've upgraded to 2.61 and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the channel editor. No errors this time, but... It doesn't work. In the webif main screen I get the Channel Editor text but no icon. If I click on the text I get a 404 not found. :( Thanks for any input. :lease:
  10. raydon

raydon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,076
    Reboot your HDR so that the mongoose web server gets re-initialised with the correct path to the plugins folder.
  11. galleonslap

galleonslap Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, I'll try a reboot. It's recording Holby City right now so I'll try after it's finished, in the interests of not getting lynched! :D
  12. galleonslap

galleonslap Member

Ratings:
    +2
    When Holby finished it was recording Horizon! Anyway, just rebooted now and all OK, many thanks! :clap:
  13. paulburke

paulburke Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Seems like another great addition thanks guys.

Just a question - when I hide a channel (e.g. BBC Alba), should it still stay in the list on the web page?
  14. David500

David500 Member

Ratings:
    +102
    If you mean:
    1. Webif Channel List - No, the channel is hidden.

2. Channel Editor Plugin - Yes, other wise you wouldn't be able to make it visible.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. paulburke

paulburke Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I was referring to 2, and of course I should have realised that!

Thanks for the help, and thanks again for all your work on this.
  16. nowster

nowster Member

Ratings:
    +114
    One very little bug: The channel number is 1000 out in the web interface for hidden FreeSat channels compared with the channel shown on the HDR itself. eg. BBC's NEWSLOOP shows as 1992 in the web interface, but is 0992 on the EPG. For non-FreeSat channels, everything is correct.

It's also noticeable that the EPG populates correctly for hidden ITV regions, when converted into FreeSat channels.

Thanks for this.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  17. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +401
    Humax store the channel number that way in flash memory (as 1992) - not sure why Humax choose to display it differently. Possibly the extra 1000 is used to indicate the channel should be hidden by default.
  18. Ritchiek

Ritchiek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the web interface very much and the new integated Channel Editor looks a very professional piece of work. Unfortunately, unless I have missed something, it has dropped the functions I used the editor for. Single number channels and sensible regrouping were such a boon for popular programmes.
    There were problems with scheduling recordings with the old editor. The 3am housekeeping substituted the original channel numbers for the reorganised ones and replaced the logo and title with another programme, eg My C4 on channel 4 returned to 104 with the logo and description of Radio5SX. The Schedule displayed on the tv then became empty.
    Do I presume that this was a problem incapable of solution or will the functionality be returned later? Despite this quibble thanks for all the great work.
  19. nowster

nowster Member

Ratings:
    +114
    One word of caution. If you're tuned to a non-FreeSat channel (eg. Sky News), even in FreeSat mode, scheduled recordings may not happen. This is because the FreeSat-specific "now and next" stream (for channels other than the one you're currently on) isn't broadcast on those transponders.
  20. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +401
    The re-sequencing of channels caused the later foxsat firmware releases major problems such as emptying the channel list and the schedule.

While it may have been possible to get renumbering working all involved thought this was not a good idea with the direct link to the schedule and the thought was that an new channel addition could cause great problems - especially if it used an existing number.

Humax significantly changed the way things worked twice - the addition of the channel update and EPG download during housekeeping and the change from all year round use of GMT to using GMT and BST. The solution choosen should hopefully survive future changes.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  21. GaseousClay

GaseousClay Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,409
    :thumbsup: Once again the collective minds of these very clever guys has produce another brilliant addition to the already brilliant custom firmware.

Just a teeny weeny thing I noticed was (it may only be a corrupt file on my machine) the 326_1_00_Menu_Settings.png file has been sheared across the reflection area. I've fixed the image if it's showing on other folks webif and can be downloaded from here 326_1_00_Menu_Settings.png - 4shared.com - photo sharing - download image

also if anyone wants to change the colour of the spanner from red to blue on the 'Service Management' spanner.png file it can be downloaded from here spanner.png - 4shared.com - photo sharing - download image

Just my minuscule contribution.. :p
  22. galleonslap

galleonslap Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Had a chance to play with the channel editor now, all I can say is absolutely excellent! Well done to all concerned. :thumbsup:

A question: I understand that a recording may be missed if watching a non-Freesat channel, say Sky News, when the recording is scheduled. What if you're watching an out-of-area ITV region? This is part of Freesat anyway, just not selected by your postcode. If you were watching such a channel, would scheduled recordings still happen? Thanks!
  23. David500

David500 Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Recordings will start when watching another ITV region

See the Channel Editor Plugin Guide - Things to be aware Of - Which gives more information.
  24. galleonslap

galleonslap Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info. I didn't bother with the channel editor before, but this new implementation looks great. Thanks again. :)
  25. Graculus

Graculus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This looks great, many thanks to all involved! Can anyone clarify, do I need to reboot the foxsat once this is installed? I ask because a) the missus is currently watching take me out and it's not worth risking my life at the mo and b) I tried making changes to hide channels and didn't get either the blue arrow or any changes saved when I hit "save changes". Once again, cheers!
  26. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    If you were on Web Interface version 2.61 prior to the upgrade then it should not require a reboot. If you were on a previous version then it possibly does - depending on the version you've come from.

I'm assuming that you've had a chance to reboot since your earlier post. Is everything okay now?
  27. adrianf36

adrianf36 Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Thanks GC - I did make some changes to that image to make the background transparent at the last Web Interface release (v2.61). I could easily have knackered it at that point. No access to my Foxsat for a few days but will download your updated image when I can and compare the two. No plans for a new Web Interface release any time soon but happy to include the fixed image in the next release when it comes.

Thanks again.

Adrian.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. Graculus

Graculus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. Sorry for the delay! I am on web interface 2.61, but a reboot seems to have resolved the issue, though I'm yet to apply the changes I've made (having to wait for yet another reboot)! Not sure it makes any difference, but I should probably add that I made the changes on my ipad this time, whereas I was on my PC using Chrome previously.
  29. paulburke

paulburke Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Is there a limit to the number of channels that can be hidden, or a limit to the number that can be hidden in one go?

I am having trouble hiding more channels. I have hidden 52, had to do these in bunches of around 10 at a time. If I did it in more than ten in never worked - there was no success message or request to restart.

Now I cannot even hide a single channel, again no success message or restart request.

I have manually restarted the box a few times with no more success!
  30. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +401
    Paul,
    Can I ask you for your browser details please and if it is IE can you check that it is not in compatability mode (which I thought was not possible with one of the headers).