Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weak signal after adding hdd box to already 2 way split

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by cammy22, Feb 21, 2012.

1. cammy22

cammy22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have my Freeview TV in my living room and my Freeview TV in my bedroom, both split from the antenna socket on my living room wall via a 4-way splitter (2 unused), and all was fine. A month or two ago I added an HDD recorder freeview box, which I had to take another feed from the livingroom wall splitter (now 3 of 4 used) and connected to my TV via HDMI.
    Now I lose BBC1 occasionally, mostly during the daytime and channels like Pick TV and 4Music seem to struggle and break up frequently. Also, my tv in the bedroom constantly finds, loses and reloads as signal is too low at various times of the day (also at night).

Is it an aeriel problem (btw the aeriel was replaced as new last year) or maybe I need an amp/booster? Any help will be muchly appreciated this is getting very annoying! Thanks

Cam
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,250
    Connect your new unit temporarily by scart only [ Remove HDMI] and see if the problem goes away .

HDMI leads can leak RF interference which can knock out some or all channels.

If this turns out to be the problem [ rather than over-splitting ] then you require a new HDMI lead - and / or may require better screened UHF leads, and the two should be kept as physically far apart as is practicable.
  3. cammy22

cammy22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavtech
    I have changed the HDMI for scart. No improvement in picture break-up on 4music and Pick TV and still losing BBC1 completely at certain times of the day. Its so annoying. Its like they boost the BBC1 mux signal at night, I always get BBC1 at night for some reason?!
    So no need to amplify the signal coming in to the box in my wall?

Thanks
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,107
    • Thanks Thanks x 1