Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WDTV live (New version) Part 3

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by fizl, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Stuart P

Stuart P Member

Ratings:
    +153
    updated last night. ui seems a liittle faster running stock theme with 1 external 2tb hdd connected via usb
  2. mark2410

mark2410 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    im having trouble, posted here this is sharing content from windows - Western Digital Community

essentially files can be played if i access my nas as a windows share but not as a media server. it tells me they are not supported files. this means if i try sending a file to tha wdtv to be played it flashes up "this is sharing content from windows" then does bugger all.

it was working when a reset everything but then goes back to this and its infuriating, please help!!!
  3. mattyduk

mattyduk Member

Ratings:
    +38
  4. bigtruck

bigtruck Active Member

Ratings:
    +983
    Anyone had an issue with their Live not retaining username/password?
    It's linked up to my pc & used to be fine but recently every time I turn it on it requests the above. Not a major problem but a little irritating.
  5. Donnacha

Donnacha Active Member

Ratings:
    +886
    I upgraded the firmware last night....seems to be more responsive than before and there are a couple of new apps added, although the MyTV doesn't seem to work. I wish they'd add chapter capability to MKV files !!
  6. Stuart P

Stuart P Member

Ratings:
    +153
    it is indeed. no real need for other 'faster' themes now
  7. Lyceum

Lyceum Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I have an enclosure with two hard drives in. I had the original WDTV and after a firmware update it would only detect one of the drives, not both.

Would I have the same problem with the WDTV live?
  8. Norman

Norman Member

Ratings:
    +110
    I've just found put some of my HD .m4v files won't play after the firmware upgrade. They worked fine before and continue to work on my other WD TV Live that is still on the older firmware.
    Can you downgrade the firmware on these units?
  9. darkmast3r

darkmast3r Member

Ratings:
    +8
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. mattyduk

mattyduk Member

Ratings:
    +38
    This week I've received a replacement Sony TV (after a free 5 year warranty on my old Sony was called upon !), and I'm having trouble with HDMI initialisation with the WDTV.

Basically if I power it up from standby, I don't get a video signal, and it shows a lack of signal on my Onkyo amp that the WDTV is connected, so I don't think it's entirely the TV's fault ! Apple TV and Tivo are using the same HDMI connection back to the TV from the Amp and they are fine.

If I switch the WDTV off at the mains, leave it for 30 seconds, then boot up, it's fine.

What settings to people have on the WDTV of HDMI (CEC, Auto etc ? ).

I'm thinking of doing a full factory reset as it hasn't been cleared for ages
  11. gmp

gmp Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I've been living with this problem for a year now so if you get a permanent fix let me know. Same set up as you and to guarantee successful boot up I have to do the following in the order listed.

Switch on Onkyo 308 amp and select CBL input (hdmi from WD)

Turn on tv and select hdmi2 (input from Onkyo amp)

Turn on WD (either from standby or from switched off at mains, doesn't matter)

This works fine but is pain when you forget! If I turn on WD before amp or tv I get video signal but no audio and have to start process again. Must be some kind of extended HDMI handshake issue but I have messed around with every setting I can find on TV (LG), amp and WD. If you can find solution let me know. :lease: Weirdly when I use WD to play just music via amp (tv off and using android app to select) it seems to work fine whether I turn amp or wd on first.:facepalm:
  12. TechyMike

TechyMike Member

Ratings:
    +93
    It must be some sort of handshake issue between the amp and the wd.

I know it won't help but at least you know that it is possible to get the connection working with other setups. I have a Sony TV and Sony Amp. WD TV live connected to amp, amp to TV,all by HDMI 1.4 cables.

Press the remote on/off button on the WD remote, WD switches on, amp switches on to the correct WD input, TV switches on on the AV setting for the amp. WD TV live menu is displayed and away I go.

I then have two options, press the tv remote off button, tv powers down, amp powers down, 2-3 seconds later, WD TV live powers down.

OR

I can press the on/off button on the WD remote, WD powers down, amp and tv switch off at the same time.

I have CEC switched ON and the relevant settings on the TV and amp to allow CEC ON too.

Apart from the odd hiccup, again handshake issues, 9 times out of 10, powering on the WD turns on the amp and the TV.

So the feature does work but I know this won't help with your set up but at least you know it works and it is not the fault of the WD.

You could try hooking the WD direct to the TV via HDMI and see if you can get it to power on and power off correctly, just to isolate the amp. But I reckon it is the HDMI handshake protocol that is causing the issue.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. mattyduk

mattyduk Member

Ratings:
    +38
    have to see whether by 4 year old Onkyo works with CEC. I've seen there's a HDMI control setting on the TV, so might need to set that as well.

Im turning the kit on with a Logitech Harmony so I might be able to change the order things are launched.
  14. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    I use a Logitech Harmony, and I make sure that any automatic HDMI switching on any equipment I use is turned OFF, otherwise it could potentially mess up the switching that the Harmony does.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. killz187

killz187 Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Anyone using Wdtv live with a Harmony one remote help me with this issue, I recently purchased WDTV live and set it up with the harmony one remote.When i press the power toggle the WDTV live turns off(stanby).Is there a way i can send the power off signal for at least 3 sec. that are required so that the WDTV turns completely off??I dont want it to stay in standby mode since i have a usb powered harddrive connected to it.
  16. Stuart P

Stuart P Member

Ratings:
    +153
    you'll need to phone logitech and ask them to add that key code for you
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. killz187

killz187 Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Do they do it for me through my account or send me details by e-mail how to do it.will give them a ring or send e-mail.
    Thanks Stuart P for the quick response:smashin:
  18. Stuart P

Stuart P Member

Ratings:
    +153
    they'll ask for you account details, ask what you want doing and add the code to your account. they were v helpful when i did it a couple of weeks ago. it takes a couple of days for them to do it and you'll get an email from them when done :)
  19. djmike

djmike Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Guys

Just recentty got one of these players, I've got it hard wired over my network reading my films from my Synology NAS all files can be seen and played. I want to load a new them for example the Alaska one, I log into the WDTV interface via the ip address, go to appearance click browse pick the zipped file from my desktop hit submit, it then just says please wait for ages.

I also cant seem to use the internal scraper to get movie info, its like its not connection properly

Anyone got any ideas what im doing wrong starting to fustrated with it now

Cheers

Mike
  20. Donnacha

Donnacha Active Member

Ratings:
    +886
    Are you using IE? Try Chrome. I had a similar issue and using Chrome worked for me.
  21. djmike

djmike Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I used chrome and that seemed to sort it but i cant still scrap the films either auotmatically or manually, would i need to upgrade to the latest firmware to be able to do this.

Donnacha what theme are you running out of interest

Cheers
  22. Donnacha

Donnacha Active Member

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm trying to remember, I think its something like "AV3ER" which I think is an old Alaska theme. Its pretty simplistic and doesn't use Movie Sheets or thumbgen. The internal scaper works fine for me. Have you chcked the system config to see that "Get Content Info" is enabled?
  23. mattyduk

mattyduk Member

Ratings:
    +38
    yes, found that my Onkyo was being turned on by the TV when switching to HDMI 1.

Saying that I'd adjusted the order of the activity so the WDTV comes on last and so far, it's been working fine i.e the WDTV is working correctly.
  24. djmike

djmike Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes internal scraper on, I do have 206 mkv files stored on my NAS so maybe I have to a wait while it completes the get info scan.

The thing I noticed was when I go to any mkv file and press options on the remote I dont have to the option to get info, strange.

Do you know will if perform the get info scan everytime I turn it on

Thanks
  25. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Is the media library on?
  26. Donnacha

Donnacha Active Member

Ratings:
    +886
    As planthead says have you enabled the Media Library? Once it starts scanning you'll see the white LED at the front of the unit blinking....chances are the unit will become unresponsive during the initial scan. You'll find a lot of extra files been written to your NAS as well, so expect the 206 mkv files to have an additional 2 files each that will contain the info.
  27. djmike

djmike Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Im sure the media library is switched on will double check that tonight, thanks.

So when Ive done the intial get info is it best to switch it to manual after then when I add a fil it wont rescan the whole NAS.

Also i di notice when i did the auto scan it did give the wrong thumbnail for the film is there a way of changing it to the right one

Thanks Guys
  28. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212
  29. djmike

djmike Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyoe got a copy of the black mamba theme v1.9 they could email over to me a t all

Cheers
  30. TechyMike

TechyMike Member

Ratings:
    +93
    PM your email address and it will be on its way!!!:thumbsup: