Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WDTV live (new version) - Part 2

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by fizl, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nwpsys

nwpsys Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone had any luck playing VP6 video in an flv container ?

Product website doesn't mention this as a compatible codec.

Thanks,

Nige
  2. Timh

Timh Member

Ratings:
    +86
    you have a link to a file I could test?
  3. nwpsys

nwpsys Member

Ratings:
    +4
    PM'd. :smashin:
  4. Foster1984

Foster1984 Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Will be buying one of these in the next few days, and just had a quick question about how to organize the files on my HDD to best have the WDTV identify the movies and tv shows.

I currently have the files on the HDD structured as:

videos/movies/The Matrix (1999)

and Tv shows as:

videos/tv shows/family guy/season 1/family guy S01E01 episode name

Is this the best way to structure the folders and files? Or is there a better way?
  5. Tboggie

Tboggie Member

Ratings:
    +129
    WDTV should pick all your movies fine if you have them all structured that way. For TV Shows,mine looks like this:
    videos/tv shows/family guy/season 1/S01E01
  6. Timh

Timh Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Bad news I'm affraid (unable to play file) :(
  7. nwpsys

nwpsys Member

Ratings:
    +4
    No probs, thanks for trying. I'll break out Handbrake and get transcoding.

Nige
  8. Foster1984

Foster1984 Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Cheers, good to know. Really didnt fancy having to rename everything.

How does the WDTV fair when getting coverart and programme synopsis for TV shows with that file structures?
  9. elias139

elias139 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a new storage solution for all my movies and music. I have looked at two options: the 3tb my book essential or my book live.

Currently I have an old usb 2.0 hdd connected to the wd tv live, which works fine but I would like more storage space. From what I have gathered, it seems like the my book live would be able to share its content wirelessly to other devices as well? Is that the main thing that separates the two?

If I choose the cheaper my book essential and connect it straight to wd tv via usb, will I be able to map it as a network drive on my pc and transfer files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  10. Tboggie

Tboggie Member

Ratings:
    +129
    I use wdtvhubgen which adds the thumbs & metadata to all my movies and TV Show folders. This way i will not get incorrect info stored in a movie or TV show folder since i process them manually which is still very fast IMO. I remember it processed the whole of my "Friends" TV show, season 1 - 10 in less than 3mins. Here is what it looks like on the WDTV when a movie is processed:

Attached Files:

• hb.JPG
      hb.JPG
      Size:
      46 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  11. Tboggie

Tboggie Member

Ratings:
    +129
    The only reason i am using wdtvhubgen is because all my movies are stored on 10tb External hardrives which is connected to my PC via USB so i am using the network shared option. If you will be connecting your harddrives directly to your wdtv player then here is what it should look like once wdtv creates the metadata,thumbs and backdrops in each folder:
  12. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Answering my own question. I have read elsehwere that, in short, you can't have 2 WDTVs on the same network...something to do with writing files etc. that causes corruption. What a ridiculous oversight. Looks like I will have to sell one :rolleyes:

For further info read here.

Can anyone suggest a similar kind of player, that scrapes the internet for moviesheets etc. automatically and offers the same kind of functionality? I have a Dune Smart, but the only thing letting it down is it's lack of inbuilt scraping. Or will I run into the same problems again even with a different brand?
  13. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Could you not turn off the media library on one, I have a wdtv smp, and a wdtv live, on the same network, and they work fine, each has their own hard drives rather than a stand alone nas..
  14. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    I will give that a try thanks.

But can I ask a dumb question...what exactly is the media library? Is that the thumbnails and info sheets etc? (ie, the reason I like the WDTV !)

What I have read is that the problem lies in the folder named ".wd_tv". I have noticed that there is one of those folders sat within each main folder. So for example, I created Network Shares for a folder called Kids Movies, and one for Dads Movies (no not that sort :D), and within each there is a folder called ".wd_tv"

99% of the time, kids use one room for watching, and I use another (we're a happy family, really!). I suppose that just accessing a different folder on each, rather than both folders on both, may resolve it?

Anyway, I will test and see. But it's not ideal, and an absolutely ridiculous oversight by WDTV.
  15. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    im running a wd tv live hub and a wdtv live on a my book live nas both with media libary on both no problems at all and all hard wired

could it be the home plugs going to sleep / standby

and as its been said if there is a problem just use the media library on one of the wdtvs

the media library gets the movie sheets and thumbnails and puts all your media from diffrent files and shares in one place and in order (doesent move the files just lists them in one place)

with out it you just nav through your folders on your nas to get your videos, they will still have all the moviesheets and thumbs on them (only after you have run media library once to get the info for the first time)
  16. everett_psycho

everett_psycho Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Just wondering about this, does anyone know how to name TV series so it skins and retrieves episode info like it does with movies? I've got a few series to get ripping and it will be a lot easier to do it right while ripping
  17. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212

the wdtv folder is an index, that contains resume points, ect,, you can delete it, if there are issues, but it is recreated.. I don't think that is the issue, you can set the media library to manual, which how mine is set,, as i use wdtvhubgen for scraping, its a process of elimination, as i say, it works without issue here, and very well too.. but every set-up is different..
  18. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Now I am confused.

I am just practising with one WDTV, connected to my network via ethernet. I have disconnected the other. I have also deleted the wd_tv folder.

I did a factory reset on the player. Then I connected to the network and I go Setup> System>Media Library>Media Library Manager for Network Share and add the folder I want.

It has now been spinning round for 2 hours, "Compiling Media Livrary". I'm guessing it will do this forever, like it normally does.

What also confuses me, is when I go to Select Content Source, I don't know what the difference is between My Media Library, Media Server and Network Share. I'v sort of been through and added them all, basically getting lost in the maze of menus and options, not sure what I should add or not.
  19. crawffy

crawffy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Having trouble getting my head round getting cover art for my movies/tv shows. Most have been downloaded from the internet and not ripped from DVD.

The TVLive box is set to auto for content info but nothing is happening. The movies are stored on my WD MyBook live NAS.

Would appreciate any guidance.

Cheers
  20. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212
    2 hours seems like a long time, maybe 30 mins,, how big is your collection? Media server is any dnla detectable devices, network shares is your network, the media library is the wdtv own database of your files, I don't add much to anything, it finds them all ,, either media library or network shares, on which is the second wdtv.. sorry its hard to explain,, !!
  21. djstu_d

djstu_d Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Have you got any info/art for any of your movies ???

If your movies are dl'ed, are they named properly ??

Try going into the videos section, press options on your remote and then select Rescan. What happens ??

If your still having no joy, select a film, again hit the options button and select get content info. Does that work ??

Have a play fella.

hth

stu
  22. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    There's only a couple of hundred films. I have many tens of thousands of music tracks but I don't want them on there.

So in theory, to connect to the NAS and get all the movie sheet info, I should add the relevant folder through Setup > Media Library Manager for Network Share, and choose the folder I want?

Then go to the main menu, selct Videos, press the red button and select My Media Library?

I have just done that again from a factory reset and it seems to be working with all the thumbnails and movie sheets, for the time being...
  23. crawffy

crawffy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I dont currently have any art/info.
    They were named like this eg: 125485_the_inbetweeners_movie.hqdivx but renamed them to: The Inbetweeners

I went into the video section and pressing the options button doesn't do anything.????
  24. Tboggie

Tboggie Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Try this and rescan: The Inbetweeners Movie (2011)
  25. djstu_d

djstu_d Member

Ratings:
    +82
    if you go into where your movies are stored, select a film, press options and you get nothing ??
  26. crawffy

crawffy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    If i press options while movie is playing i get some options up. None of which are anything to do with rescan etc. If i press options while the video file is showing i get nothing.

Looking at the user guide i should be able to access the dashboard by pressing down. I can't access the dashboard. When i do this i get the message: "To access the dashboard, please connect to a content source with media library enabled"

Dont really understand that one as im connected to my nas, everything works/streams, just no artwork. ????
  27. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    You only get the media options like scan info and view you tube trailer when your in media library ,
  28. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Have you added your nas Folders to your media library ? It won't just scan the whole thing and find folders you have to tell it what folders to look in
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. crawffy

crawffy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Many Many thanks. I'm an idiot. I hadn't. I guess i was seeing the files ok as twonky on the nas was doing the work.

Thanks again.
  30. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.