1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning to others 'upgrading' from 20MB XL to 50MB XXL broadband

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by TenThirteen, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TenThirteen

TenThirteen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I would share my experiences with Virgin Media this month on the forum so others don't get caught out by the same nonsense from Virgin Customer 'Services'...

I tried to upgrade to the 50MB XXL package from 20MB XL package (£80 set-up charge!) but failed miserably! Engineer/fitter who came to do the upgrade had no wireless router for me (advertised as free with the install on the flyer I was sent with my bill and prompted me to phone up and order the upgrade) and showed me an electronic handheld device clearing stating my order specified “No router required” - he told me to get the modem installed by him anyway and to call up and request the router to be sent to me via courier. BIG MISTAKE!

I called the afternoon of the install and was told upto seven days for delivery and that I'd have to do a self install of it. (£80 activation and installation charges and I have to do half of it myself!) Well I accepted this and I waited nine days for delivery of this wireless router but nothing came so I called them up, they said something had been done wrong and it had been ordered incorrectly and they assured me that a router was now being sent to me, guaranteed delivery within three working days…

Five working days later still no router had arrived. Most annoying seen as the installation guy said he had routers in his van but couldn't give one to me because “computer said no”. Great.

I've been a 10mb then 20mb Virgin Media customer for three years now and Blueyonder/NTL before that, first paying Virgin £35 a month for 10MB then £37 a month when the 20mb service was rolled out. The 50mb service is not cheap - £50 a month and the idiots can't even post me out a router! It's now been two weeks since my 50mb 'upgrade' but I haven't had any benefit of it because my router is three years old and caps the speed to just over 20MB. So I called and cancelled it this morning - why am I paying the extra for a service I cannot receive?!

I'm a very reluctant Virgin Media customer now and I'm actively looking to change supplier (Be Internet do 24MB ADSL for £21.50 a month) and I would like to warn others about allowing an engineer to visit to only do half the job - you'll never get the other half done via the call centre people regardless of their promises!

I'm so glad I don't have phone and TV with these idiots! Buyer beware!
  2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Well, it certainly seems like you've had a bad experience.

Whilst I'm not their biggest fan in a few respects, I can say a couple of things in their defence.

Firstly, all you have to do is call customer services and explain the situation.
    I can pretty much guarantee that you won't pay for a service you haven't been getting. The money will be credited and as long as you keep a level head, you'll probably get a bit back in your favour as a goodwill thing.
    That said, make sure you phone in the morning, to get someone based in England. If you've been speaking to Asian CS people (it's probably a bit unfair to say, but) they're useless in that they only work from scripts and seem to have no authority to do anything to give a proper solution.

Also, while you can get 24Mb from Be, you have to be extremely close (a few hundred meters) to the exchange. The chances are that if you live any distance away, it'll be way lower than 24Mb.
    Then again, if you find that you can get decent speed, go for it like a shot, as as you say VM is very expensive.
    No doubt someone will give you a link for an ADSL checker :smashin:
  3. TenThirteen

TenThirteen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Badger0-0 - All the Virgin Customer service people I spoke with about this over the past two weeks were based in the UK (Wow! What are the chances of that!?) And none of them seemed to have a clue what they were doing "it says it was ordered sixteen days ago on the screen..." "I have no idea what's happened..." "There's definitely one on it's way to you now..." was about as much 'sense' as I could get out of them! More fool me for believing the set-up engineer and his "Oh they'll just pop one out to you via courier it'll be here in three days tops" patter! I should have sent him away as soon as he said he didn't have eveything for the install.

Re: Money. When I cancelled the 50MB service today they assured me (?) that they have recredited my account for the activation/set-up charges and moved my fee back down to the 20MB XL rate. What a waste of everyone's time! It was their empty promises that annoyed me the most, it's not a cheap service and going from paying them £444 a year to £600 a year I thought I'd get a bit better customer service than that, why the installation guy couldn't set me up with a router at the time of my install is a confusing one - and apparently I was the 4th customer to get 50mb in my area!

Re: A new provider I have done some ADSL checks and I can apparently get upto 18mb with Be for £17.50 a month on a twelve month contract - less than half the price of Virgin's 20mb service AND I was only getting about 17mb on that anyway so it could all be a blessing in disguise! I'm going ahead with that order tomorrow and once I've checked that the speed is upto scratch I'll cancel Virgin altogether. (The worst part is that I used to work for the Virgin group! Although not Virgin Media, the group always seemed to have a clue about what they were doing back then! - Or at least I did when I worked for them!)
  4. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    I can't fault your thinking re moving to Be then in that case :smashin:

That said, if you do really want to go with the 50Mb, you could try one last thing;

Go through the options on the phone line and hit the "thinking of leaving" number.
    Tell them exactly what's happened and tell them if you're not sorted in 3 days, you're leaving, full stop.
    My money says they'll sort you and make it up to you in some way.
    And seeing as you sound like you're going to do it anyway, you have nothing to lose, imo, a 3 day wait apart.

Might be worth a try???

I know what you mean though.
    The CS isn't a patch on what it was in the days of Blueyonder and Birmingham cable before that in my case :thumbsdow
  5. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    You never know, there are (or at least were) some VM employees on here and they might be able to help you out :)
  6. TenThirteen

TenThirteen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Admittedly 50mb would be nice (I wouldn't have wanted to upgrade in the first place if I didn't want it!) but everyone I've spoken to at VM has said all the "right things" to me on the phone... "yes, the router is being sent to you, it will definitely be there in seven days/by Monday, sorry for the hassle..." ...but nothing actually arrives and when you go back to them and say "Where is it then?!" they go "Oh..." and go back to the beginning. They just don't seem to have a clue and have no explanation as to why I've not received a router because the "computer has authorised one to be send out to you..." they can't give me a courier tracking number or anything to support all these claims! And all the while the Virgin Media vans are zipping around my town with the routers in the back of them for other new to 50mb customers! The call centre confirmed that the routers were in stock and that there was no backlog for them of any kind! Useless!

I'm aware I've got to give a months notice to Virgin so that's what I'm going to do whilst I wait for Be to sort me out. Going back to ADSL after all these years is quite something (although I remember first getting 56k dial-up in 1997 and having to pay Virgin £12.99 a month and then phone charges by the minute after that!)
  7. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Have to say in VM's defence, my 50meg service is faultless and having no restrictions at the moment rocks! Frequently getting 6200m/s from my news provider. As for my modem? Sitting in a cupboard under the stairs.

I will point out though that the first 2 days it would not go above 20meg speeds but I was warned by VM that it could take 1 or 2 days for the link to settle in much the same fashion ADSL does. But when it turned on properly, its really turned on ....... woooooosh!:rotfl:

Best £50 a month i've spent in a long time! :clap:

edit: good luck with Be. When I used them I used to get 22meg connection and it was awesome, don't think anyone else had it in my area so I had the full run of the house as you might say :)
  8. Wray2k

Wray2k Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Have left virgin, now with O2 BB :D

to test the system did various down loads, best was Nvidia driver at 1.9 meg.

bit torrent down 1.4 meg test: lewis s3 E1,2,3,4.
    up 160 kb

can do the normal surfing with no lag with torrent, all set to max.

about 2 miles from BT exchange.

with 3 months free and £70 quidco, works out at £10 per month for next 12months, on their top package.

:D :clap: :D
  9. Delvey

Delvey Active Member

Ratings:
    +786
    Glad your happy with O2, been with them a while now and im happy. I live closer to the exchange than you though and only get 14MB, might have to phone them.
  10. Sheradons

Sheradons Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought i would post this info on virgin blagging us all on there internet speeds.If you know about computer data (witch most people dont) there are 8 Megabits in 1 Mega Bite.a Megabit is shown as a small b and a Mega Bite is show as a capital B.we have all been ripped off 50Mb is less internet speed than 20MB
    Mod edit: discussion of removing Virgin Media speed caps not allowed
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2011
  11. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    How does that work then mate?

You really are talking tripe.

I suppose the likes of www.speedtest.net are wrong too?
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  12. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Technically, he's probably not wrong, its in the capitalisation of the B (and its BYTE and BITS Sheradon, not "bite"). I can't be ar*&d to sit here and do the maths as I've had far too much to eat and probably drunk too many Carlsberg to get it right. However, as they are all pulling the same "trick" the comparison of each others speeds still stands and so do, Speedtest.Net, who show you the true comparison.

No more than most other companies, they are all as bad as each other. I can only think they get away with it with Advertising Standards Agency as they are stating its an "Acronym" rather than a "techincal definition".

Oh and feel free to move to ADSL if you don't like fibre cable, and as soon as you get 3 feet from the exchange your rate will plumit, unlike digital fiber optic (don't ask me why BT's CN21 is limited to 40meg to the door when VM have demo'd 200 to the home user and 1gb to offices).

All in all, a big rant over naff all from someone who only knows a little - A little knowledge can be dangerous! (I've got more than a couple IT qualifications for MS, IBM, Citrix and Novell)

p.s. I'm also more than happy on my VM 100meg link!

edit: Also well done in waking up a thread from MAY 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  13. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    I must admit I got caught out with the small and large B there.

But it's not important and still utter rubbish, imo.

What's concerning me more is the comment that he doctors his modem has been allowed to stand.
  14. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,018
    please take in to account it is Christmas and most mods are busy doing what 99% of the populus is doing and enjoying themselves, under normal circumstances as you know the remark would have been removed earlier.

Curly
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    When he says "reprogram" i'd also like to know what he means and on which modem! VM have there modems locked down (as far as broadband side is concerned). Maybe he thinks that by modifying its SSID he's repgrogaming it :laugh:

I'd also like to know where he can get a home 20MB(YTE) link!
  16. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    How DARE You!!! Considering you get paid all that cash to be a mod...... oh ..... wait :laugh: Happy Xmas!
  17. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Salaried and no extra for overtime... I drew the short straw as well...mod on call Christmas day night ;) :hiya::hiya:

Curly
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Yes, sorry Curly.
    A couple too many beers yesterday :blush:

Your work is very much appreciated mate, as it is for all the mods :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Sheradons

Sheradons Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What i mean by reprogramming it i mean iv Flashed it..and i didnt say i have 20MB ,,
  20. Sheradons

Sheradons Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes byte ,,thats what i ment,,,lol
  21. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136

I know you didn't and I didn't say you did. What I was asking is where ou think any of us can get a 20MBYTE home link .... I assume you do know right? or your comparison is irrelevant.

And why are you flashing property thats not yours? (I assume VM modems are still the same as they always used to be and owned by VM at all times)
  22. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    The fact that in networking data rates have always been written in bits and in computing terms it's bytes, 8 bits is a byte, 1KB is actually 1024 bytes not a 1000 bytes, 1024 KB is a 1MB and so on. I'm not sure how using standard terminology is 'trying' to rip off the consumer.
  23. Sheradons

Sheradons Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the property is mine i bought from ebay.The hardware being changed to get free internet is fine,Using it the law is being broken buy breaching Service Act 1982.
  24. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    To clarify, which modem have you bought?.
    Was it a Virgin Media Modem?
  25. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136

Thats very interesting to know. How does the services act allow you to get free internet?

(you do know that nothing is free, VM had to pay to lay cables, staff to run the company etc)
  26. carl.waring

carl.waring Member

Ratings:
    +74
    So you're admitting, in an open forum, to breaking the law?
  27. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    I did wonder that myself, I was errr'ing on the other side though in case he found a way and thought it was legal (which it may be but I doubt it) to use a service unpaid for?
  28. Sheradons

Sheradons Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the servive act does not allow anyone to get free internet
  29. Sheradons

Sheradons Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes
  30. Sheradons

Sheradons Member