1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to improve LCD TV sound but not with full Cinema System

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by supersonicdave, Dec 3, 2008.

1. supersonicdave

supersonicdave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have recently bought a new LCD TV (Samsung LE40A456), and I'm not too impressed by the sound. Can't complain though it was quite a cheap TV.

I'd like to improve the sound, but don't want to fork out for a full Home Cinema System, as I would not use it enough. What other options do I have? Can I just get a couple of nice looking speakers to stand next to the TV or something? Is an amp essential?

Cheers.
  2. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,426
    Cheapest option would be to feed the phono outputs from the TV (assuming it has them) into your stereo's aux input.
  3. T800

T800 Member

Ratings:
    +155
  4. supersonicdave

supersonicdave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies guys.

A couple of speakers like that would be ideal. If I make sure I get decent ones, will they improve on the bass of the TV at all? I'm not looking for anything special, just something to improve on the tin sound of the TV.

Thanks.
  5. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,426
    Can't see you getting much improvement with a cheap pair of 2.0 speakers.

If that kind of solution appeals then I would suggest listening through headphones first & then if that sounds OK, you could look at a 2.1 solution. Can't make any recommendations as I'm not a fan of subs but that's the only way to get deep bass with small speakers. That's why I would opt for feeding through an existing HiFi if possible.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  6. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,426
    Maybe a minor niggle but there's another consideration of using the headphone socket. You would have to either keep the speakers permanently powered or get up & switch them on every time you want the TV. Even if only flicking on for the news or something.

Although some higher end stuff may have it's own remote.
  7. T800

T800 Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Depends on the speakers, I know the speakers on my LCD are quite poor so most would be an improvement.

Could you not get a 2.1 package and stick the sub behind the display?
  8. davepuma

davepuma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,013
    Something like AE Aego M would do nicely providing your TV has analogue audio output connections (red/white) and not optical.
  9. philmate

philmate Member

Ratings:
    +4
    You do not give a price limit but how about a soundbar if you can accomodate one ?
  10. supersonicdave

supersonicdave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies.

I still like the idea of a couple of speakers to just improve on the built in TV speakers. I'm wondering if this could be done with about £50.

I won't rule out a 2.1 setup either but like I said, I don't really need a big bass.

I'm not to up on all of this, and I know nothing about soundbars or pricing.

Actually! I've got a Creative I-Trigue 2.1 setup with my laptop in another room, I hadn't thought of that at all doh! I guess I should try that and see if it is what I am after. I'll report back :)
  11. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,426
    Just stumbled across this Logitech package on Amazon which seems to be highly rated.
  12. philmate

philmate Member

Ratings:
    +4
    For £50 you will prob be looking for pc speakers, sub and l/r sateliites
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  13. ynoldus

ynoldus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same question, but what if there is only a digital audio out on my TV? I have a Samsung UA40B7100 / UN40B7000...
  14. CraigTheRave

CraigTheRave Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I was in a similar predicament to yourself and went for the JBL Spot 2.1 2.1 speaker system. Have a read at my thread here for what I thought of them: They cost me £69.99 from Amazon.

JBL Spot 2.1 THREAD

:thumbsup:
  15. BlueWizard

BlueWizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,682
    It depends on how much money you want to spend. Though it seems low, I think £50 was mentioned.

Ideally, you would get a stereo amp and pair of speakers, but that is going to run £200 at the minimum.

The alternative is to get speakers that have amps built-in similar to the speakers attached to computers. That can be done reasonably cheap. If you want it to be dirt cheap, any old computer speakers that you like will get the job done.

Personally, I would suggest you raise your budget. I would also suggest at this low price level that you forget about a sub, it is a lot of money, for something that doesn't enhance the voice range at all.

I would recommend the Creative Audio Gigaworks T40's, but they are over your budget. The T40 comes in the older T40 model which can be had for about £50 to £75, or the newer T40-II model which is going to run £100 to £150 depending on where you shop.

The older straight T40's where well rated, but are not going to be as bass heavy as speakers with a Sub; still they have decent bass.

If you can push to over £100, then consider the Audioengine 2 at £130.

Video demonstrating the speakers and reviews can be found on YouTube.com by searching the name and model number.

If you want dirt cheap, consider the Creative Audio Gigaworks T20's. These are also available in the older T20 model, and the newer T20-II models. The new is about £100 to £130. The older, yet perfectly good models, range from £40 to £60 per pair.

Again, all the speakers mentioned are reviewed on YouTube.

My first advice is raise your budget and get a decent stereo system.

My second advice, is pay for quality not quantity. In other words, drop the money into a good self-powered stereo pair and forget the subwoofer.

Steve/bluewizard
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  16. ynoldus

ynoldus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All of these sound like a good idea, but none seem to have a digital audio in - are there any systems on the market that do?
  17. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,682
    Your TV has digital audio in, and therefore you are able to feed any digital source to the TV, and it will separate out the audio, and make that audio available at the analog Audio Outputs of the TV.

If you want an audio system with digital inputs, you better plan to spend A LOT MORE money.

Steve/bluewizard
  18. ynoldus

ynoldus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unless I am very much mistaken the TV does not have an analog audio out (only in). And yes I'd be happy to spend more to find a system that has digital audio in although I'd never be using more than 2 or 2.1 speakers.

Forgive me if I am getting this wrong, I am just an average consumer. The TV is a Samsung UA40B7100, which I believe corresponds to a US-model UN40B7000
  19. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,682
    If your TV has SCART connectors then it has analog Audio Outs. You just need to buy a common £5 adapter to get at them.

Also, the new stereo amp being released on the market, have subwoofer outputs, sometimes two. I think as all the current model are replaced by new models, Sub outs on a two channel stereo is going to be dead common.

Just out of curiosity, are you by any chance from Australia?

I looked up the specs on the UN40B7000, and I don't see Audio Out specifically mentioned. Does the TV by any chance have a headphone output. If so, that is the source of your analog audio out.

I guess they are assuming that anyone who can put out US$2400, AU$2930, or UK£1640, can probably afford more than at £50 audio system.

I'm not trying to be rude, though I'm sure that is how it sounds.

If you TV really does not have any analog audio outputs, then I'm not sure where we can go. You either live with what the TV gives you or you spend a lot more money on an audio system.

If you want just the basics, there is an Onkyo system that has build-in amps and surround sound decoding as well as some digital inputs. I think the Subwoofer with two front speakers is about £300, and can be expanded to a full 5.1 surround sound system for about £100 more.

This is the system -
    ONKYO HTX22HD 2.1 HIGH DEFINITION DECODER/AMPLIFIER/SPEAKER SYSTEM (OPENED BOX) - from Superfi UK

This is the Upgrade to the system -
    ONKYO SKS11 5.1 SPEAKER UPGRADE PACKAGE FOR HTX22HD - from Superfi UK

If you are in the UK, a surround sound amp and speakers that you would actually want is going to run £550 or more.

There are all-in-one 5.1 systems for less, and if your budget really is strained, this might be a good option.

If your budget really is stuck at £50, then your options are limited.

Steve/bluewizard
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  20. seamo2000

seamo2000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to add this onto someone elses thread but I am in a similar situation with my lg 32lc55. What did you mean when you said if a tv has scart sockets then it just needs an adapter to get at the sound? what adapter?
  21. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,682

SCART connector has all kinds of things in it, audio in, audio out, video out, etc.... They make adapter to change from SCART to more standard connectors.

http://medda86.com/tv/scart-adapter.jpg

SCART / Peritel Adapter for European / UK televisions for Archos 704 Wifi - Archos Accessories

Scart Adapter Switchable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

The Red and White connector are audio, the switch on the top selects whether they are audio in or audio out. The yellow connector is composite video, and the other connector is S-Video.

I'm not recommending these source, they just happened to be the two that came up first on a Google Image search.

This adapter is very common, and most electronic/audio/video stores will have them.

However, it doesn't seem as if the orginial poster has SCART outputs, which made me wonder if he was from Australia. Also, when I search the Samsung part number, it lead to an Australian site.

Again, to the original poster, you either need to raise your budget, or lower your expectations. Sad, but true.

Steve/bluewizard
  22. ynoldus

ynoldus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is indeed an Australian model TV although identical to the US one, I believe. It does not have a SCART or a headphone jack (I didn;t check the latter before buying, I admit). The $50 budget restraint was set by someone else, not me. My only limitation is that I don;t want more than 2 speakers and possibly a sub because of the room lay out (and the missus!) and I don;t want to buy a full home theatre that again includes a DVD or BluRay player as I would then end up having everything twice. Large soundbars won;t work either because of size constraints. Ideally a 2.1 system that can be connected vua digital audio or HDMI...
    I will have a look at the Onkyo but not sure whether it is on the market here
  23. ynoldus

ynoldus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As I feared, the Onkyo is not on sale here, but it is EXACTLY what I am looking for. You don;t know of any similar systems from major brands, do you? At least, it means there are others out there with similar need and the market is responding to it...
  24. seamo2000

seamo2000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info about the scart adapters... so here is another daft question about them.. They seem just what I am looking for but only if they still output sound while the tv speakers are muted. I suppose they do but just checking as I have a buzzing faulty speaker inside my tv so if I can mute the tv and run the sound to exterior speakers then thats good.