Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VW Polo DashBoard Light!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by blk101, Nov 30, 2009.

1. blk101

blk101 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    hello, i have a 2003 1.9 tdi sport polo, there is a light on my dash which looks like a steering wheel with an exclimation mark! can anyone tell me what it means??
    i didnt get the manual when i baught the car, previous owner lost it!!
    thanks!
  2. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    I would hazard a guess that there could be an issue with the power steering fluid.
  3. blk101

blk101 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    yes, there was a problem with that before, i did wonder if that would be what it was!
    thanks!
  4. Ayub

Ayub Active Member

Ratings:
    +549
    crank engine over make sure your on level ground check fluid level WHILE ENGINE IS RUNNING.
  5. sean5302

sean5302 New Member

Ratings:
    +84
    I do wish people would stop offering generalised help when the OP needs help specific to the vehicle. Downright dangerous to attempt PAS top-up on this vehicle with the engine running. Also pointless as the PAS pump does not run unless the steering wheel is turned. The PAS pump is electric on this vehicle.

Dear OP:

The light you describe is showing a fault with your electro-hydraulic power steering.

It may be because of low fluid level (unlikely). To check this, turn the engine off. Remove battery. Under the battery tray you will see the filler cap for the fluid. Remove the cap and use the inbuilt dipstick to check the level.

I expect it to be OK. If the light persists, you will almost certainly require a steering angle sensor. £112 from your dealer and about 30 mins to fit. That is usually the cause of this fault.

The sensor detects how far you moved the steering wheel and hence modulates the output from the electric PAS pump. This pump takes over 50 amps and triggers the warning light when overcurrent is detected.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  6. joefield

joefield Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have just had this problem with my 2052 vw polo (the 02-05 shape) and it happened after a cold snap when i was fitting a new radio so i didnt know if it was electrical
  7. sean5302

sean5302 New Member

Ratings:
    +84
    I hope you are aware that most aftermarket radios will need the aerial amplifier.

The VW Beta and Gamma radios fitted to this vehicle have standard aerial amplifier power supply via the aerial coaxial lead.

Aftermarkets do not.

If you find you are not getting many stations ie poor reception, that is why.