Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VU+ Duo HD Enigma2 HD twin tuner PVR-Ready receiver - Continuation

Discussion in 'Satellite TV Forum' started by logiciel, Feb 27, 2012.

1. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,492
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Sicilian

Sicilian Member

Ratings:
    +28
    In reply to this post http://www.avforums.com/forums/16492544-post1105.html by Ekkostar
    I am not denying the fact that I'm the Founder, owner and Admin of the said forum and I've never denied a handful of users are having issues that we try to help with and solve, by countless hours of beta testing and debugging. Everything I post here is factual and in no way misleading.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  3. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,492
    Leave it there!
  4. Sicilian

Sicilian Member

Ratings:
    +28
    If my response to Ekkostar is going to be so heavilly edited and made to look stupid, please delete my whole post above. I also respectfully request that you remove this post http://www.avforums.com/forums/16492544-post1105.html as this member is trying to discredit my good name and teams name! My post contained all the actual facts!
  5. Paul D

Paul D Active Member

Ratings:
    +349
    To get back on topic....

As a Duo owner, i can fully recommend the VIX image.
    It's not just the image, but the support and help given. As most people know, getting up and running as a newbie can be daunting. Who needs google eh?.
    I found this experiance almost painless and have been reaping the rewards ever since.
    The Duo is also a great machine. Some may say the newer Vu models are better (which they may be), but for the money, the Duo is still worth a look in.

I've found the iPad streaming app totally stunning. Ease of use and reliability are it's strong points.
    I seem to be using it most at weekends when i want to monitor two football matches at once. (one on the TV and one on the iPad)

The Duo has been worth every penny so far...!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star Active Member

Ratings:
    +283
    Hi,

If you use an Apple Mac I would suggest trying iDreamX, it's a fantastic bit of software that allows all sorts of things, streaming included.

There's also Vu+ player app that works on iphones/ipads but that's a paid for app.

As for images there's plenty out there including VTi, BH, Vix and of course the original OpenPli. The beauty of an E2 receiver like the Duo is you can chop or change whatever works for you best. That also allows for completely unbiased opinion as images can be a personal thing.

The new kernel has meant some developers like BH seem to have successfully re-based their image. It claims to be the most stable and fastest and by all accounts seems to live up to that claim.

When it comes to linux receivers if the image is no longer stable then it will lead to all sorts of issues, mostly unnecessary headaches and frustration. BH is based directly on the 'official' VU v7.0 firmware. You can't go wrong if you don't deviate from official VU firmware too much.

All the VU's are pretty good machines, I don't think you can go wrong with any model. The newer ones offer a little more flexibility should you need it.

Thanks
  7. bluepeter

bluepeter Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Mods, can we ban the users ? instead of locking threads.... There are many of us that own the RX and would like to go on discussing said receiver.

Having owned mine for nearly 2yrs, imported from Germany before they became available here in the UK. I have no allegiance to any particular image and have tried them all...

And to the said forum members can you conduct your turf wars on the appropriate forum, Vix & Blackhole....

Kind regards
    Peter

PS, both of you know that images are not that important, you all copy each other... lots of you write bad code and make multiple mistakes... But the bottom line is how good the drivers are from Vu & with the latest kernel 3.11 they have some way to go to get back to pre 3.11
  8. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,492
  9. maxwell4321

maxwell4321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +393
  10. bluepeter

bluepeter Member

Ratings:
    +23
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. thfccambs

thfccambs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,382
    The thread was locked as it got to the 1000 post mark. As they do on the forum. Another has been opened.

Unless I'm missing something?
  12. bluepeter

bluepeter Member

Ratings:
    +23
    You need to look a little closer THFC - the continuation thread is also locked as the 2 offenders decided to carry on their battle instead of taking it to the relevant forums

Regards
    Peter
  13. thfccambs

Ratings:
    +2,382
    Mate on my iPhone so not the best way to read forums. Sorry if wrong.

Personally think a certain person from VIX forum should be banned anyway.
  14. killz187

killz187 Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Is the original VU+ Duo HD Enigma2 HD twin tuner PVR-Ready receiver - Continuation thread going to be
    re opened or not?I dont think its fair to close a thread just because two forum members are not getting along,it does not help other people who have this receiver.Can a Moderator let us know whats going on.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  15. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,492
    It's open - otherwise I wouldn't have said you can use it and wouldn't have asked what the problem was with it.:confused:
  16. Davey H

Davey H Member

Ratings:
    +154
    It is now - It wasn't yesterday...
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. maxwell4321

maxwell4321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +393
    Or indeed this morning
  18. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,492
    OK - there must have been a glitch - this can merge with it now anyway.
  19. Paul D

Paul D Active Member

Ratings:
    +349
    Hi Logi, both threads were closed. I did at least try to get things back on track! :)

Now that i can reply, the streaming App i was refering to is called "Dreambox live".
    It has been perfectly reliable, with the only downside being the lack of support for HD channels.
    This hasn't been a big problem though, as the SD channels look excellent on the iPad screen.

I don't use the latest version of Vix, as i found 2.0 very stable and perfect for my needs. Enthusiasts like to have the latest and greatest, i just wanted stability. I've been lucky to have had no green screens or freezes.

If and when my VU+Duo does die, i wouldn't hesitate to get another. But like most people, i would have a good look at what else is out there...:smashin:
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  20. Ghostleader

Ghostleader Active Member

Ratings:
    +308
    I like your motto there, if it aint broke dont fix it!:smashin:
  21. emporer

emporer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,623
    I must admit i've been tempted to change from Vix 2.1 to something newer but it just works so well for me, I put it on a year ago and its been great, from what I can gather folks are having a horrid time with 2.3 and it does seem to be problematic with the latest kernel, plus I see lots of folk putting allsorts of addons on their boxes for this and that and they wonder why they get green screens all the time, at the end of the day its a sat box and nothing more, I have a clean image install with picons and its never let me down.
  22. Ekko Star

Ekko Star Active Member

Ratings:
    +283
    Put very simply, all the VU's are in reality satellite receivers come computers. These are very much enthusiasts machines.

They run Linux and are perhaps best described as purpose built computers, hardware modified for sat purposes.

They can of course run very basic sat duties or at the other end of the scale, capable of so very much more. That makes them very flexible.

As with any computer though, if you have a volatile Operating System then any program you subsequently run on that platform will cause you issues. It's not down to the hardware but the implementation of the image itself.

Is the image important ? Yes, very. It is what makes the hardware work. Without it you have nothing other than a box of tech, not a functional receiver.

Different people will hold different merits in differing regards. Image stability though has to be a primary requirement.

The early Vix images were stable in comparison to others. I don't think however you can seriously say that about Vix 2.3.

As a clean image OpenPli is excellent, light and works very efficiently. It's when this is modified by further development teams that you start to get issues. This appears to be where the problems are coming from. Incorrect implemention beyond the base OpenPli. Installing plugins etc etc is simply exacerbating the issues. Basically, it's beta testing gone one step forward and two steps back.

It's certainly not a case of all Vix images are bad. It's more a case of the current Vix image is having serious problems.

The latest BH images on the other hand are based on VU 7.0 code. That means they are based on what VU themselves have implemented and decreed best for their machine post kernel 3.1.1. As a result they appear faster and more stable.

Given it takes a matter of minutes to flash, chop and change images then people really are free to do as they please. It's the beauty of these receivers and why you would buy an enthusiasts machine in the first place.

At the end of the day you want a receiver that works and works in the way you want and need it to.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  23. 5to1

5to1 Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I am thinking about replacing my GF's Fortec Passion+ HD with one of these so was hoping if some existing users could confirm my understanding about this box is correct :)

Apart from a blown diode and capacitor (appear to be know issues) which I've replaced, the Fortec has been reasonably reliable. The performance can be a little flaky when its been off for a while, with it taking a while to associate the CAM/Card with channels, so flicking between channels can be painful. But it does appear to cache this info, so second time around it responds faster. She now wants a twin tuner box, with streaming ability and hopefully better UI performance then the Fortec. Also her provider has decided to switch CA system, so it seems sensible to invest the money in a soft cam capable box, rather then buying another CAM and card. Essentially the Fortec was a cheap way to see if she'd actually use the system, now that I know she will it makes sense to invest a bit more (plus I can have a play, since its connected to a 1.1m motorised dish).

I've gone through this and the previous thread as much as I can, but given the size am worried I may have missed something.

1) From what I've gathered it is possible to have a stable experience with the Duo, provided you stick to certain firmware. Is that correct, or have a misread others comments?

2) It will be going in a comms cupboard which has cooling via inlet fan (puling cool air from under the house) and extractor fan, but when the weather is hot and all the devices are on (multi room Amp, Sky HD, PS3) it can push 25C in the cupboard. Will this be an issue? I can add a USB cooler to the VU+ DUO to help if needed.

3) My AMP has no free optical SPDiff ports so the Fortec is connected via the RCA SPDiff socket. It looks like the VU Duo only has optical SPDiff, is that correct? Anyone used it with an optical to RCA adapter?

4) Can it output audio via HDMI and the SPDiff port simultaneously? I need this ability since it will be connected to a HDMI matrix for distribution around the house, but the 5.1 system for the main living room.

5) Is USALS support available in most if not all firmware?

6) I've seen boxes without HDD range from £180 - £299? Should I be concerned the cheaper boxes are clones? I would be purchasing via credit card from a UK supplier, so I would have some protection if its a dud, but obviously don't want to avoid hassle, if the cheaper ones are likely to cause issues.

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to avoid the inevitable headache from the GF should it not perform well :/
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  24. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,492
    You've been very lucky to get that FS working as well as it has.
    Anything else should be better though.
  25. 5to1

5to1 Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Being able to diagnose and repair the hardware faults has helped :) but it is probably time to move onto something better now that I know we will be using it often. Just need to make sure the VU DUO is the right box, seems very tempting at sub £200.
  26. thfccambs

Ratings:
    +2,382
    Sub 200£ is that new? Sound like it may well be a clone.
  27. 5to1

5to1 Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Well after lots of pestering from my GF I caved in and ordered it. I'm not sure if I can post the retailer on here, but you can find them via google shopping.

I need to open the box to install a HDD so will take a look at the quality of the components and solder work. If it looks like a cheap clone I will send it back. It's bought by CC so that gives me some protection if turns out to be a dud later.
  28. Ekko Star

Ekko Star Active Member

Ratings:
    +283
    That is definitely a clone.
  29. 5to1

5to1 Member

Ratings:
    +95
    A little unsure what to do now, as its her that's paying for it. She'll pay the extra £100, because I talked her into the virtues of a twin tuner Linux box. But that was on the basis it's only costing her £85 above her original budget not £185. I don't think I'll be able to persuade her to just go for a single tuner box now :/

Aside from build quality (which I can confirm) are there other concerns I should have with a clone box. IE compatibility with firmware? Obviously I have moral concerns about purchasing a clone, I wouldn't do it If it was my purchase, but I guess it's easier since I can afford not too.

Clone isn't mentioned on the web page, and it's bought on a CC, so returning it shouldn't be a problem. I guess I could contribute the extra £100 as I feel slightly responsible. Although she might not agree to that as it changes the dynamic in control of the box. She'll want it to be hers so she can tell me to where to go if I want to use it at the same time as her :D
  30. Jan20

Jan20 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    edit. I was being thick!
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012