Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vote for the Gaming Machine of the decade

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Chat' started by Phil Hinton, Dec 12, 2009.

?

Gaming Machine of the Decade

1. Dreamcast

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. PC

25 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. Xbox 360

25 vote(s)
    27.2%
  4. PS3

8 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Wii

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. DS

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. PS2

16 vote(s)
    17.4%
  8. PSP

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  9. Xbox

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Elvis is crap, but yeah the pc is king :D
  2. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson Reviewer & News Writer Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,321
    I wouldn't say PC gaming was dead on the toilet, dying maybe, but not dead:devil::rotfl:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Mark Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +3,321
    Ahh ******** I give up, everyone just vote for their favourite:rotfl:
  4. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,047
    I am mate. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    One day the rest of them will wake up and realise how silly they sound praising consoles :D

to be fair I'd bet most of the people that say they prefer consoles have never had a gaming pc.

trust me if you play a pc game with your 360 pad on the tv you won't want to go back to the 360 or ps3.

Yes if you're exclusvie to pc you miss on the exclusives but only the ps3 has decent exclusives, and the framerate done my nut in.
  6. Mark Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +3,321
    I'm totally open minded about it all. I do plan to build myself a rig next year and fully expect to be sneering at console owners by next Christmas:D

I will definitely hang on to my consoles as the PS3 exclusives appeal far more than any other platform and if one has to go to make room under the TV it will be the 360:)
  7. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,047
    When you are ready for your build let me know and I will help you spec one up.

This thread may also help you get started.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...0-gaming-htpc-thread-part-2-updated-info.html
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Trust me once you get it sorted you'll see what we're all praising.

When I was on the other side of the coin, I thought I'd need to spend 5 grand and I'd have to pay Bob to build it for me and upgrade it.

I bought a pc at 400 quid, it played all the multi plat games at 60fps at higher res than consoles.

I then tried to build my own pc, and it was easier than I ever thought it could be.

The thing about having to upgrade every 5 mins to play the latest games is another myth.

When it comes to the pc, burger king put it better than I ever could "Have it your way" :D

You want it quiet, you want it powerful, you want the games to load quicker,you want to change the case, you want a different controller (you can use 360 pads, ps3 pads, wii pads, keybaord and mouse and hundreds other pc pads) etc

You can cahnge everything, and even if you get bored of gaming you still have your pc, a console just sits there.

You also have the advantage of being able to do everything with one box.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  9. Mark Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +3,321
    Yeah thanks mate. I've already earmarked you as my mentor and I've been watching Jay's progress as well.

Well I've built a couple of regular PC's so I should be alright. I'm pretty well versed in the benefits of PC gaming, you couldn't not be hanging around here:D

I just want one that will be quiet and play games at 1920x1080 @ 60fps with a bit of AA. How much is that please?:D
  10. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Just off the top of my head say you went with amd

you could get
    motherbaord for about 110 an asus deluxe
    a phenom quad such as the 955 120
    true 120 cpu cooler 30 quid
    say 4gb corsair ddr3 ram 90
    a corsair psu about 70
    and you get a cheap 4890 at about 120 or you could get a 5850 or 5870 depending on how much you want to spend.

A 4870 which is under 100 could play most games at 1080p at 60fps.

Obviously the case would be down to your taste, and the number of harddrives etc and what optical drive are down to persoanl preference too

The only game out there that really needs a powerful rig is crysis and there isn't even one out there that can play it on full at 1080p at a solid 60fps.

Now if you had a phenom 955, asus deluxe motherboard, 4gb ddr3 ram, and a 5850 you would have a high end amd rig.

obviously I've given general things and not specifics but it just gives you an idea of how much you could spend to have a rig that would eat anything you throw at it, apart from crysis, but not even a top end i7 rig with a gtx 295 can get 60fps solid at 1080p

You could spend even less than that and still eat any game at 60fps.
  11. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,980
    I borrowed some more torches off the flintstones and then i saw this .. :D

[​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Oh and as you know if you went with something like I've listed it's easy to upgrade in the future, bang 4gb more ram, or upgrade to amds new 6 core cpu due soon.

or whack another graphics card for crossfire or sli.
  13. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,047
    :smashin:

No much at all. About £400 will do that. Have a look in that thread I linked to and you will see some templates for gaming rigs. All will 1080p @ 60fps +AA with ease. :)
  14. Norlo

Norlo New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    Reckon you can have 'both sides of the coin' mate :thumbsup: It's not like a trial that you have to go through, and once your a PC owner, you can never go back.

If you would want to go back, is a another Q ;) I myself will be re-entering the high end PC world after xmas. Razor is on stand by to check my spec'd up bits :)thumbsup:) and i am looking forward to be able to play a new other games above Footie Manager 2010 :)

I really think a 'them and us' attitude to gaming is counter productive. It just serves to segregate people into groups governed by the machine used to play the games. Gaming is gaming is gaming. Doesn't really matter if you enjoy it on PC, Wii, PS3, PS2, 360 or a vectrex. As long as you enjoy it. We are all on the same side :smashin:

This Gaming Machine of the Decade thread (both of them) started out so well. Good discussion, good points, different opinions - and people seemed to be actually putting some thought into the question, thinking about the bigger picture. Even if i didn't agree with peoples choices, the point and thought process behind them was good to read. As Hodg said, now we come to actually voting, it has become a favorite thread - i mean, the 360 is in 2nd place? Don't get me wrong, love the 360 and had some great moments of gaming on it (and i am sure i will continue t do so), but a console that 'forced others to up their game', a console that 'forced us to think differently about games machine'? Really? :confused:

For the 360, the only group of people i would imagine it forced to 'up their game' was the people working in the service centers, fixing the darn things. If that was your job, i am sure the 360 was a 'game changer' :rotfl:
  15. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    It's not a them and us, I ahve a ps3 which I haven't switched on in awhile as I've finally got my i7 rig up and running.

I wouldn't get rid of my ps3 for the exclusives, I want god of war 3 and gt5.

Are you going intel or amd?

I'm looking forward to the i9 and amds new cpu, I'll be upgrading again soon :D
  16. Norlo

Norlo New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    'them and us' was more of a general comment Jay. The wording of your post (other side of the coin) did make me think that was a bit of a them and us thing to say, but i know you, and i know you would not have meant it like that. :smashin:

Hmm, well i think Intel. I am still in the early stages of my research :thumbsup: Whatever it is, it's gonna be the best available :smashin:
  17. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    I ain't on the same side, I'm an nvidia and intel fanboy.

green team for life baby.

nvidias the way it's meant to be palyed boooooyyyyyy :rotfl:
  18. Norlo

Norlo New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    When i think about it, the PC is the perfect platform for you Jay - nothing else will come close. I have seen you sell, buy, sell, buy consoles since i have been here, but with the PC, you just get to upgrade every so often, get a boost in performance, and satisfying your like of new/better/tech stuff.

Result every way round :thumbsup:
  19. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Intel have wihout a doubt the most powerful processors out there.

Clock for clock they are faster than amd processors.

But as you'll proably know most games rely on the gpu more than the cpu, as long as the cpu is at a certain clockspeed and not bottlenecking, the difference between an i7 overclocked to 4.2ghz and a phenom quad at 3.8ghz, if you're both using the same graphics card the difference in framerate will be slight if at all noticeable.

Also having high framerates is all well and good for willy waving, but I like vsnc so having a rig that pumps out 300fps makes no difference as I lock it at 60fps.

Although streetfighter at 300fps with vsync disabled is nuts :D
  20. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Yeah exactly, I love chopping and changing, sold so much on these forums.

With the pc I'm actually upgrading things.

rather than buying a console, selling it and buying it again.

I just love modding and tweaking things, adn the pc is perfect for me, to be totally honest i spend more time modding my case, lapping, and overclocking than playing games :D

I love that I can make my rig more pwoerful if I want, or make it quieter, or change the look, and if I get bored of gaming I'll still get usage out my rig.

i am getting obsessed with upgrading though, I've had 4 cases in less than 6 months, I've had 4 cpus, 3 graphcis cards, loads of different ram, 3 motherboards. And I am going to upgrade my cpu when the 6core cpus arrive.
  21. Norlo

Norlo New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    What is the 1st and 2nd best videocard on the market for PC right now?
  22. Norlo

Norlo New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    Yes, rather than sell/buy/sell/buy consoles, losing cash every time, with the PC you are actually making what you have better. Jay and PC - a match made in heaven :)

I know precisely what you mean. It was that very reason of tweaking and fiddling more than i played games which caused me to put PC gaming on the back burner these last 2 or 3 years. Always keep a PC, but yeah, every time you switch the thing on there is stuff to fiddle with, and i really loved that. I am looking forward to getting back into that particular aspect of hi end PC 'gaming' :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    dx10 it's the 295gtx from nvidia, and amd have the 4870x2.

In dx11 it's the 5970 from amd

:thumbsup:

Or you can customise it and bang some cards in crossfire and sli.

Although a dx11 card isn't needed right now, but then again pc gamers don't know the word NEED, it's all about WANT :D

i'm playing dirt2 and it looks great in dx10, dx 11 weren't that great but I'll wait for a better game to showcase it.
  24. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,047
    Any time mate. :smashin:

I have listed them in order in this thread. :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...0-gaming-htpc-thread-part-2-updated-info.html
  25. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Even with the games you can change everything to your liking, the possibilities really are endless.

I can see why it could be overwhelming for some.
  26. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    I can't beleive you have resisted on running a pair of 5870s in crossfire or just getting a 5970.

I know your 4870x2 does fine for msot games but I'm still shocked that you resisted a tasty upgrade.

How long you gonna wait for nvidia to relase their cards.

i seriously can't see you waiting another 6months if it takes that long.
  27. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,047
    My 4870X2 plays every game out there so need for an upgrade even though I love playing with new toys. I was tempted by running a pair of 5870s but I really want physx and an nvidia card this time around. I am happy to wait for the nvidia cards to arrive. :)
  28. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    So if it takes 6 months for them to relase for example you're gonna be able to resist? :devil:

Are you going to resist an i9 too?

Oh and are you gonna bang your 8800gtx for physx? I'm slapping in my 260gtx for dedicated physx, yeah baby :D

Oh and why didn't you go nvida instead of amd?
  29. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,047
    I have waited 3 months already so another 3 months will be just about do able.

I was planning on getting 2 x 380gtx or a 395gtx and using the 8800gtx watercooled as a physx card. Total overkill. :devil:

i9 is also on the shopping list. I will give that 6 months before upgrading.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    I've just noticed that me and razor could be posting in a burger thread and we'd still turn it into a pc thread :rotfl: