Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volkswagen Time Belt Change

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by mjr269, Feb 25, 2006.

1. mjr269

mjr269 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone - I am looking to buy a Volkswagen Golf 1.9 tdi - and one of the cars I saw today is 63k and it hasn't been serviced. Does anybody know how much would it be to service the car (including timing belt change) at a VW dealer?

I just want to ask the person offering the car to discount this service from the price.

thanks!
  2. eezer

eezer Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i`ve been told that the recommended cam belt change is around 80k.

cracking motor mate if you decide to buy.what bhp is it.

carl.
  3. mhuk05

mhuk05 Active Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Cambelt change can cost ~ £400
  4. lynx

lynx Active Member

Ratings:
    +319
    1.9 Tdi is 2.9hrs.
    1.9Tdi PD is 2.5hrs belt change.
    Depending on build year it gets changed at 60K or 80K.

Just noticed there are quite a few engine variants fitted with differing power outputs...
    Tdi PD: 90;100;115;131 and 150bhp
    Tdi; 90 and 110bhp.
    If you get the engine code it can be identified.
  5. burgeruk

burgeruk Member

Ratings:
    +15
    my previous experience with vw dealers weren't too positive,poor service and high costs,the cost to change the cam belt on my previous vw bora was£277 +vat,the labour charge was£200 +vat,i know that as my car was an x reg they charge £65 hour + vat for labour,newer cars £75 +vat,and i was told brand new cars could be £100 +vat just for an hours labour alone,before(vw) parts which are very expensive
  6. McCruiskeen

McCruiskeen Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Golf 1.9 TDi (PD) reg 52 and was very surprised to find that the cam belt has to be changed at 40,000 miles! Since other VW diesels get changed at anything up to 80,000 miles, I suspect that these common rail TDi engines have had a few catastrophic failures which have prompted VW to lower the cam belt change mileage on them. (It may have been 40,000 from the start, who knows?)
  7. rhoamish

rhoamish Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be a pedant, but VW diesels aren't common rail. The 'PD' bit stands for 'pumpe deuse' (or something that sounds like that, anyway). They have a high pressure fuel pump for each cylinder. This is an expensive way of doing it, but I think its actually quite effective.

Mind you, others have caught up recently...
  8. ian dem

ian dem Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys,i have a 2001 Passat mk5 2.0 petrol with about 57k on the clock.
    When should the cam belt be changed? :confused:

Cheers,Ian
  9. Beobloke

Beobloke Member

Ratings:
    +66
    The service for my wife's 2000 model Golf GTi 2.0 was £500 including a cam belt change last year.
    I quite enjoyed that after her 2 years of smugness that the most she'd paid for a service prior to that was £79 :D
  10. mattyvw

mattyvw Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    hello fellow vw owner's,iv a vw passat 130phb,on a 53 plate,im looking to tackell the timming belt my self?, any tips, or should i give up and put it in a garage,many thanks.????
  11. jwb5463

jwb5463 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Passat's a fair bit easier then Golf/Bora as there's more room under the bonnet to get your hands in.

But, if you have to ask, I'd suggest putting in the garage :lesson:
    Get it wrong and you're looking at a catastrophic engine failure
  12. mattyvw

mattyvw Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for the advice,how much would you expect to pay for the job to be done,many thanks matt
  13. Del45

Del45 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    On the petrol engines the water pump should be changed at the same time as the cam belt, the pumps have a plastic vane that is known to break up, make sure it is replaced with a metal vane type.

Not sure if this applies to diesels but its something to bear in mind.
  14. Daddy k

Daddy k Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +507
    with the passat its front end off!

a vw independent garage that i like to use in coventry charges £230 for the belt, tensioners and water pump change.
  15. 4lps

4lps Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

What's the name of the garage in Cov? I paid that just for cambelt & tensioners chnage, recently my Passat has been using a lot of water and I may need the water pump changed.

its a 1.9 Tdi 130 BHP 2001

I filled it up 9 days ago and again yesterday, never had this problem before.

Any tips and help apreciated

Alps
    :thumbsup:
  16. Ayub

Ayub Active Member

Ratings:
    +549
    vw's are good cars the pd range are the best imo.
    I have a passat pd115 and can say its really good on fuel and can give any car a run for its money both motorway and minor roads.

If you are changing the cam belt buy the "kit". which are all the pulleys and change all the belts. If its hit 100k change your water pump. You will be paying for labour anyway. Have a look at the power steering belt tenstin arm while your there it does not cost much ( 70 new) and if its pulled appart labour would be minimal. .

Maintaining a "vw" is not as bad as most cars but are expensive and hard to work out when they are faulty. i would pay attention to the gearbox if its a 6 speed. They are expensive to repair.

my 2p worth.
  17. Daddy k

Daddy k Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +507
    volks.
    down the arches, in spon end.

if the water pump needs replacing so will the cambelt etc again, they cant be reused after being removed (unless your your a gambling man)
  18. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Its best to replace the waterpump at the same time as the belt
  19. footpad

footpad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    vw golf 1.9tdi cut out while driving(no smoke,oil leaks etc).wouldnt start or even turn over,although appears to have electrical power.company car that has done 90000 if timing belt I may just be getting a new chariot(just being nosey to see if anyone knows what could be wrong)
  20. Jay J

Jay J Member

Ratings:
    +181
    I have a PD130 engine in my Fabia vRS. Skoda (part of VW Group) now recommend the timing belt (Toothed belt in the service book) and tensioners to be changed every 60K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. Remember belts can fail due to age as well as mileage. As mentioned above the water pump can be changed as it's run by this belt and prone to failing.

Footpad: I would look and/or join VW spasific forums to the answer to your question. I use Briskoda.net for my car.
  21. Hitby

Hitby Active Member

Ratings:
    +508
    Do you mean the car has NEVER had a service? If so I'd walk away at that mileage. It's obviously been unloved and you don't know how else it's been treated.
  22. Jay J

Jay J Member

Ratings:
    +181
    I agree with the above. If a car has never been serviced I would walk away. Some VWs have variable servicing and it tells you when to change the oil etc, this can be up to 20K miles, depending on how the car is driven. The previous owner may have done there own servicing or have just lost the service book.

Remember this this thread is 3 years old, started in Feb 06, so it will probably not be relevant to him now.
  23. carlhoper22

carlhoper22 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Hope someone can help. I have a 55 plate VW passat. It has done approx 59000 miles.

VW dealer is saying I should get the cambelt changed. In the manual it saying 60000 miles is for petrol engine cars.

Does anyone know how I can definitively find out when my cambelt is due?

My car details are:

VW Passat
    2.0 TDI (140 bhp)
    55 plate

I asked on another forum and the only reply I got was - inspect the belt. However looking for a more definitive answer.

Can anyone help?
  24. un1eash

un1eash Active Member

Ratings:
    +502
    I believe its 60k or 4 years, which ever comes first.
  25. True Romance

True Romance Active Member

Ratings:
    +739
    Resurrecting an old thread......

My car (VW 2.0tsi) is now 4 years old hand VW recommend a cam belt change. However I've not covered 20k miles yet so is this really necessary? Was expect cam belt changes at 60k+ miles or may be 5+ years old?
  26. Hitby

Hitby Active Member

Ratings:
    +508
    Yes, change it. The rubber can perish through age as well as use. You'll kick yourself if you risk and and it goes.
  27. AMc

AMc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Just looked at a 2.0 GTi and queried the belt change. Dealer showed me the service book indicates 100k or 10 years. Check your service book it should be clear.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. True Romance

True Romance Active Member

Ratings:
    +739
    Just done some digging and it seems my cambelt is a chain so is fit and forget. Still don't understand why VW said I needed a cambelt swap at 4 years.
  29. AMc

AMc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +505
    It's almost like they would get paid to do it. Pretty shabby though unless they're aware of a good reason.
    To be fair I had a drive belt changed on an old car because a leaky rocker cover had contaminated it with oil.
    • Like Like x 1