Vita for £99 if trade in a 3DS

The Vita sold in Japan 322,488 in it's launch week, and then dropped to 74,104 Christmas week, then down every week until now, at around 14,400 units.

The 3DS sold more, at 372,281 during the Vita's launch week, and 497,223 the Christmas week, and has way oversold the Vita every week.
And the 3DS even with it's lacklustre launch titles, it sold 374,164 at launch, then 208,479, then 100,000 or so, and pretty much kept on selling, dropping mid-year, then picking up again, and last week sold 211,326.

From watching the sales figures, and the charts dominated in Japan with 3DS, PS3, PSP, and Wii titles, I get the feeling the Vita unless it comes out with something amazing, will be a western market device, as Sony so far seem to be stumbling in their home territory.

They need to pick up to get the likes of Capcom and other Japanese devs onboard, and keep them there, otherwise I feel it may just be the console of ports, and relying on remote play/cross play too much.

Lets hope it changes next week and the week after when the Euro/US sales for the Vita come out.
I'm getting one, so that's at least 1 sale over here.. :laugh:

Had a play on a Vita yesterday and was really impressed with it build quality and how it feel in the hand. The screen and position of the controls were also very good for me, screen was excellent and the demos that I played looked amazing (Fifa and Wipeout). Now for the negatives, I didn't like the loading times which were around a minute on Wipeout, the whole thing was a giant fingerprint magnet.
Would personally say that it's a bit to large for my liking and needs to be priced around £180 to stand a chance of doing well in the present financial climate.
Would have one in a blink as I like most people on the forum am a gadget freak, but sadly could see it being left in the drawer for weeks at a time.
Just my thoughts after having a play on this amazing piece of kit.

I too had a play today in Game. Played Ridge Racer. Those little sticks are ......... Little. Worked ok for me though. I'm not sure it seems "all that" at the moment enough for me to want one. I'd like to play a COD game on it to really see how it feels.

Think I'll wait a year until the SH market is flooded with them.

MrSwamp13 said:
I think there's only one way to sort this out "FIGHT" in TV Burp style lol

:) :lol:

So much drivel.

You buy a Vita exactly for the reason that it is similar to the PS3, i.e. proper games (e.g Uncharted, Ninja Gaiden) when you are out and about.

The 3DS is a different type of handheld and is in fact not really in competition with the Vita anymore but rather mobile phones and tablets. 3DS games and most of Nintendo games are all about casual gameplay, RPGs or turn based games. These games can be found on the ipad/iphone etc whereas uncharted and ninja gaiden cannot. If the 3DS fails, it will fail because of the iPhone, iPad and not the Vita. The Vita is a totally different offering than the 3DS which is almost just a 3D DS.

So much drivel.

You buy a Vita exactly for the reason that it is similar to the PS3, i.e. proper games (e.g Uncharted, Ninja Gaiden) when you are out and about.
Does it not look strange being seen in public with your ps3 on you?

The 3DS is a different type of handheld and is in fact not really in competition with the Vita anymore but rather mobile phones and tablets. 3DS games and most of Nintendo games are all about casual gameplay, RPGs or turn based games. These games can be found on the ipad/iphone etc whereas uncharted and ninja gaiden cannot. If the 3DS fails, it will fail because of the iPhone, iPad and not the Vita. The Vita is a totally different offering than the 3DS which is almost just a 3D DS.

Lmao you really are an idiot. Of course the vita is competing with the 3DS. They are 2 dedicated portable gaming devices. Yes they have different games but they are still after the same market. The vita and the 3DS are both competing against ios and android devices though. Particularly tablets.

Both have casual games available and games that have a bit more depth. The vita certainly brings the console experience to a portable like no other before it with its games line up so far but to say the 3DS is full of casual games is a stupid comment (which is pretty much standard from you on these forums) unless I'm wrong and metal gear solid, resi revelations, tales from the abyss, kid Icarus, starfox, and Zelda are now classed as turn based games:confused:

Both the 3DS and the vita have Proper games as you put it. iOS/android are well renowned for casual pick up and play games hence the pricing and lack of any real long time enjoyment due to restrictions that come from just having touch screen controls.

I'm love my iPad, vita and 3DS for all different reasons. The 3DS has a great mix of I'll say it again PROPER games and casual games. The Vita is the same although it's started with a much wider selection of PROPER games (see what I'm doing here) but also has more casual offerings like everybody's golf, escape plan, super stardust, hustle kings, mutant blobs to name a few.

There's no disputing that the vita will continue to provide the better console experience due to its superior hardware but we will have to see what support it gets and what titles emerge over the next 12 months. Its a good start though. I'm totally addicted to everybody's golf!

So I'm sorry your the one talking drivel.

Last edited:
So much drivel.

Sorry to quote you again but find this highly amusing. Here is a post of yours in the apple section.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/16428502-post1.html

Asking for proper games for the iPad when above you state that the iPad/iPhone doesn't have them?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I often read your posts because I find them highly amusing, totally wrong and in general I just love the general tone and the attitude of them.

<--- Doesn't want to agree(in public), in case I'm marked as immature!! :rotfl:

*and that's just not right, for a moderator! :rotfl:

SNUK10 said:
So much drivel.

Absolute tripe, I'm sorry but what are you on about here!?

Mario Kart 7
Metal Gear Solid 3d
Resident Evil revelations
Star Fox 3d
PES 2012
Street Fighter 3d
Super Mario 3d
Kid Icarus
Luigi's Mansion
Zelda OOT

Sure they are all casual games found on the iPad/iPhone etc. NOT. If anything the Vita has more in common with the ipad etc. but then then the similarities end at the Vitas ability to run apps like Facebook etc.

Both the 3ds and the Vita are great handhelds with some great titles on them. The Vita is more powerful and is my favourite device out of the two, but the 3ds is still a great little handheld.

No no no cas. Didn't you know that these are just turn based games now. And that list is inaccurate as the 3DS just has RPGs. Sorry I meant the DS as the 3DS is identical just with an added 3D gimmick. :rolleyes:

So much drivel.

holyfacepalm.jpg

I guess you folks also consider the Wii as a competitor to the Xbox and PS3. :laugh::laugh:

Only reason why people get Nintendo stuff is because of ££.

i.e they save £££. Ask all the mums. :smashin::thumbsup:

Handheld gaming has changed. Casual gamers now have their phones. That leaves serious gamers. These folks arent going to consider a 3DS for the same reason they would rarely consider playing their PS1s. Kid yourself all you like. Only reason the 3DS is still alive is because of my earlier point.....££££.

Anyway, some people are just have a certain mentality. They see £650 for an iPhone as nothing but £250 for a Vita expensive. :facepalm: Thus £100 for a 3DS looks attractive even though it is a DS in frock.

Last edited:
I guess you folks also consider the Wii as a competitor to the Xbox and PS3. :laugh::laugh:

Handheld gaming has changed. Casual gamers now have their phones. That leaves serious gamers. These folks arent going to consider a 3DS. Kid yourself all you like. Only reason the 3DS is still alive is because of my earlier point.....££££.

People are just odd. They see £650 for an iPhone as nothing but £250 for a Vita expensive. :facepalm: Thus £100 for a 3DS looks attractive even though it is a DS in frock.

What utter diarrhea, totally..:suicide:

Yeah, I see the Wii as a competitor to the PS3/Xbox 360, it's certainly trounced them in sales, and some of the titles, are first class, take Skyward Sword for example, enough to drag me away from other consoles for weeks.

The reason I get Nintendo Stuff, because they make great games, the hardware is second to none, and the licensed games on their systems are excellent on the whole too.

I see £650 for an iphone as expensive, but seeing as I got my Xperia Play for £150, I'm more than happy...but £200 for a Vita...to me, thats a reasonable price for an item that will give me hundreds of hours of use.

£100 for a 3DS, bargain...games on it...great.
*I never saved money buying Nintendo, or a 3DS, I had to buy 2, one for me, 1 for my son, gaming is what it's about, no matter what system.

Handheld gaming has changed. Casual gamers now have their phones. That leaves serious gamers. These folks arent going to consider a 3DS for the same reason they would rarely consider playing their PS1s. Kid yourself all you like. Only reason the 3DS is still alive is because of my earlier point.....££££.

Anyway, some people are just odd. They see £650 for an iPhone as nothing but £250 for a Vita expensive. :facepalm: Thus £100 for a 3DS looks attractive even though it is a DS in frock.

What point are you trying to make? I own all what you've mentioned. I'm a serious gamer. I enjoy gaming on all platforms besides iOS devices but my kids love the iPad. I'm totally confused by your post. Did someone dressed as Mario touch your special area when you were young? You have this weird obsession with Nintendo.

I don't find anything expensive. If I feel I'll get my money's worth then I'll pick whatever it is up. Be it consoles, handhelds, pc upgrades, media centres, tvs etc etc.

Im still totally confused by your post. Lmao you are funny though. I do enjoy your posts. Keep up the good work.

SNUK10 said:

Anyway, some people are just odd. They see £650 for an iPhone as nothing but £250 for a Vita expensive. :facepalm: Thus £100 for a 3DS looks attractive even though it is a DS in frock.

Any serious gamer worth his salt will own a 3ds and a copy of Mario Kart 7 as it's one of the best handheld games money can buy. Most of us on here are pretty serious gamers and have been gaming since the late 70's, early 80's, yet still own and enjoy playing on the 3ds.

Sure it's not as powerful as a Vita, but it doesn't need to be and some of the games (Resi Evil, Kid Icarus etc.) still look amazing on it. If you think it's just a DS tarted up with a 3d mode then you clearly haven't used one and know little about it. I wouldn't even say that the 3ds is much cheaper anyway as whilst it's dropped in price since, I paid around £180 for it when it came out and that's about the same as I paid for my Vita at launch.

At the end of the day....as already said, I love the Vita and for me it's the best all round handheld console. That said however, the 3ds is worth owning to play Mario Kart 7 alone and is still a great little console. I think that both consoles are pretty cheap to be honest and IMO the Vita will almost certainly drop in price over the next year to around the £150 mark anyway.

Either way, the fact that there are plenty of serious gamers on here who own a 3ds, kind of proves your above point wrong anyway.

He's a strange fella is snuk10. I can't work out whether he's a young lad or someone really old who should know better. If you read his posts in other sections of avforums there really abrupt and for the most part rude as well. It's almost like he has no social skills at all.

He will ask a question, get an answer and never reply. He never seems to respond to other peoples posts properly. He reminds me of Pincho Paxton, another member who got banned a few months back.

He doesn't post that often, just little bursts here and there. I have a reminder set on my phone to read his posts every month and I do so when I'm not playing a PROPER game or some mindless turn based game that you know only Nintendo produces. I hope he never gets banned. Im a firm believer that you have to have idiots on a forum to make it worthwhile getting involved. :D

addyb said:
He's a strange fella is snuk10. I can't work out whether he's a young lad or someone really old who should know better. If you read his posts in other sections of avforums there really abrupt and for the most part rude as well. It's almost like he has no social skills at all.

He will ask a question, get an answer and never reply. He never seems to respond to other peoples posts properly. He reminds me of Pincho Paxton, another member who got banned a few months back.

He doesn't post that often, just little bursts here and there. I have a reminder set on my phone to read his posts every month and I do so when I'm not playing a PROPER game or some mindless turn based game that you know only Nintendo produces. I hope he never gets banned. Im a firm believer that you have to have idiots on a forum to make it worthwhile getting involved. :D

I agree, it's like when you go on a course at work and there's some clown on it who everyone just hates. Every course needs one though!

There's been a few on this forum over the years (their names fail me at the moment) but sadly they all tend to get banned after a while.

I think SNUK has been around a while as I recognise his user name. Is Baldybouncer still about as he always used to be good for some err... Controversial discussion.

Do you guys realise that no one plays the Wii anymore. It has been a world wide dust gatherer for over 2 years now. It has a zero online presence for a start. Just like the 3DS.

I bought a 3DS and played half of Zelda OOT. What a pile of **** relative to its hype. To think people even said it was better than Metal Gear Solid 1 back in the day. It doesnt even come close to MGS1 as a gaming experience.

I know the Wii sold more. When you price things cheap it sells more. Doesnt mean it is better. Ford sells more cars than Lamborghini and Ferrari. So stop using this stupid point repeatedly.

Skyward sword might be a good game but like I said previously. Why would I want to play PS1 level games again?

The Wii U according to financial analysts needs to come in at around £150 to generate the sales needed for Nintendo to be viable. Cant see this happening. Knowing Nintendo they will price their machine for £99 and the controller for £200. Mums will initially probably still buy because its a £99 console isnt it. They will eventually go they way of Sega. 5 yrs max is what they have left unless they get the Wii U right i.e PS4/xbox 720 level with a cheaper price tag. My guess, it will be current gen level with a tiny saving over next gen consoles.

The Vita is probably a £350-400 machine. What people fail to see is that it is a better bargain the the 3DS. Sony are using their specific memory card pricing to claw some of the price back as they know people would rather by in little bits rather then one lump sum. Guess it is a good idea given the general level of common sense in the world.

Last edited:
By the way wheres Rockdbass in the hood and crew. I forgot they have sold their 3DSs now :laugh::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I will rest my case.

Last edited:
By the way wheres Rockdbass in the hood and crew. I forgot they have sold their 3DSs now :laugh::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I will rest my case.

lmao this gets better. Who are you debating with and what about? I dont know what more i can say then that i own every gaming platform there is and enjoy gaming on them all. Would you like me to keep saying that or say it in a different section of avforums. Im 35 years old, married with 2 kids and enjoy gaming on ANY platform.

Is that sinking in at all. Anyway time to sink some holes on the vita.
Bye for now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom