1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista-BT hub connection problems

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jakolantern, Oct 26, 2009.

1. jakolantern

jakolantern Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My newly aquired BT Hub cannot be found by my Desktop PC . After 2 sessions of 2 hrs each with BT, they say that its my Vista system which is blocking it's connection,and they have found this frequently before.I have tried the wireless connection and the ethernet cable..The connection when I am on my notebook works fine.[its xp not vista].Am I being conned to shut me up ? I cant cancel my new contract because BT say their equipment is working.
  2. rooney

rooney Member

Ratings:
    +33
    is your pc up to date with antivirus - malware deffanitions etc

are all your drivers installed correctly ( right click on my computer - properties - device manager- network or network adaptors ) there should be no yellow question marks if there is you are missing a driver and will need to be found

is windows firewall or defender or user account controll blocking the connection
  3. jakolantern

jakolantern Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rooney.Checked all your points again.Still no joy. Cheers Jack
  4. rooney

rooney Member

Ratings:
    +33
    try it again with the ethernet cable but make sure it actualy goes into the port properly as i hav had in the past the rubber sleave on the cable stops it goin in correctly try that. if no joy with that

click on start

click on to run ( or type it into the search bar)

then type cmd into the run box - then enter

this should bring up the comand prompt box
    in this box type ipconfig and press enter

it should give you some numbers a little like these

ethernet local connection
    ipv address 192.168.1.64
    default gateway 255.255.255.0
    subnet mask 192.168.1.254

if you dont get any numbers like above but instaed you get one saying
    media disconected its being blocked by something

please let me now the antivirus you are using/firewall etc
  5. jakolantern

jakolantern Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Got my 15yr old Grandson on the job.He tested all of your tips to no avail.Then asked me why I needed the HUB.I said so that I could get the faster speed provided by the BT connection.I dont need the wireless part.
    So in no time at all he dumped the HUB and connected and tuned in my old Speedtouch ADSL router,,,BINGO.I am connected and contented again,having gained twice the connection speed compared to my Orange.
    Thanks for your kind help Rooney.