Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Price Rise..

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Forum' started by londonbornpaddy, Feb 2, 2012.

1. londonbornpaddy

londonbornpaddy Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I received an email from Virgin Media today to tell me that from April i will be paying an extra £3.50 a month. Did anyone else get this fantastic news?

When i read what other people are paying for their packages i am not sure if i am getting the best i can get.

Talk unlimited
    TV XL
    Free voicemail - never used it
    BB XL(20)
    Sky movies
    Sky prem HD
    One V+ box ( No tivo no other boxes )

Total - £87.96

Is this a good price - i was thinking of getting Tivo but not so sure any more.

Any input appreciated :)
  2. tut_gareth

tut_gareth Member

Ratings:
    +21
    :eek: thought I pay'd a lot.....

I'm with Sky and I get

Sports HD, Movies HD, 1Tb box
    as well as what's in your list for £82 a month

and regularly see 16-20Mb on my adsl unlimited Sky broadband, (no throttling either...)

(just looked and same package with virgin is £96 a month)
  3. the_jinj

the_jinj Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Surely the cheaper prices for either Sky or Virgin Media will only be available to longer term customers or by going through retentions, so comparing what an existing customer gets for less is usually no help in deciding if it would be better to switch.
  4. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,557
    Long serving inmates don't get much by the way of discounts or the so called loyalty discount. Prices tend to be discounted for customers who've been so for some time in order to bring what they pay inline with what new customers will be paying after their initial introductory period.

I've been a cable customer for over ten years and forfeited my loyalty bonus last year in relation to other offers and a renewal of my contract. I actually pay less without the loyaly deal than I payed when receiving it!

I think the pricing above has more to do with the SKY packages than what Virgin charge? The SKY prices are dictated by SKY even if accessed via Virgin Media cable. Virgin have no control over what SKY ask for those packages.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. fuzzycup

fuzzycup Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This would be a perfect time to renegotiate your contract, the price rise gives the consumer a chance to cancel the contract, so you can tell VM either sort something with my package or im off to sky, bye bye. they will always pull something out of the hat.
  6. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,557
    Not always. They have a limit and never go below that figure. If they did then you'd be hearing about people being paid to stay or getting everything for £5! :D

Sometime they just say goodbye sorry to see you go.
  7. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    i just organised Virgin for my new house, and the lady i spoke to on the phone casually mentioned that the yearly price rise was coming in April. I'm guessing that even though we'll only be joining in February we'll still end up with the price hike. It'd be funny if we could quit after getting Feb, Mar, Apr for half price, and then just rejoin and get another 3 months half price.
  8. richard plumb

richard plumb Active Member

Ratings:
    +883
    I'm getting hooked up next week and nobody mentioned this to me. I have a contract saying 'first three months £16.70' (phone plus tivo) and then £48 per month.

Surely they can't put that up before I even start paying it? Don't I get 12 months at that price before a hike?
  9. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,557
    You have a right to get out of the contract or renegotiate if Virgin increase charges while you are in a contract.
  10. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Active Member

Ratings:
    +310
    £4 increase according to the letter I got this morning, I'd assume like Mobile Phone contracts you can end your contract without penalty if the terms are unfairly changed from what was initially signed up to.

I'd argue an average 6 to 10% cost increase would be deemed unfair and give you grounds to cancel the contract

Your talking £48 extra a year + the additional costs if your still recieving a paper bill
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. londonbornpaddy

londonbornpaddy Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I'm still not sure that my VM deal is the best for my money. I wont change from Virgin but i may well have to cut a few things out. Seems to me people with multiple boxes inc Tivo they are hardly paying anything more than me with my one V+box.
  12. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,557
    But people with multiple boxes did pay initially to have those boxes installed. VM don't really charge more on a monthly basis, they charge a flat installation and activation fee. This is why the monthly additional box charges are so low and why it appears to you as though they are getting something for nothing.

In fact, if you decided to get yourself an additional TiVo then it is likely that you'd be able to keep your current box with no additional monthly charge associated with the deal.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +388
    Firstly you are lucky to get this sort of BB speed from Sky only 1.6mbps hereabouts vs 100mbps from VM or 30mbps from BT infinity,
    Also I believe you should add line rental to your price to be comprable.
  14. awlfc

awlfc Member

Ratings:
    +11
    4.50 my letter says trying to cancel it now but it seems theyve put me on a 2 year contract on the sly
  15. awlfc

awlfc Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Has anyone here phoned to cancel before 20 mins of some on telling me how good there broadband is even though its down and how a year of disruption will be worth it for 60 meg. All canceled in the end
  16. testtoads

testtoads Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @awlfc - as most people will know, adsl and adsl2+ is based on your line length, type and point in the local loop. We get 14.5Mbps from Sky and are looking forward to getting their fibre product when its available for an extra £12.50. Even though we dont download massive amounts, its about time all of the telecoms companies up`d their game.

We did consider changing to Virgin last year for tivo but I'm glad now we took a cautious approach.

Bring it on ...
  17. ittim

ittim Member

Ratings:
    +8
    £4.50 for me, came weeks after my 'Free broadband upgrade' I'd rather keep what I have and not pay the increase!

Still i'm on mates rates so I guess I can't really complain.
  18. Bagpuss12

Bagpuss12 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    So far I'm lucky enough not to have received anything about an April price rise and I have all my services off VM. All I've received is the info about increased broadband over the next 18 months??
  19. carl.waring

carl.waring Member

Ratings:
    +77
    Neither have I; but I'm sure we will eventually :)
  20. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,557
    I received a letter yesterday about the increases.
  21. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Got the e-mail saying price increase of £3.50 a month, however it's doesn't give you a breakdown of what the increase is for
  22. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,557
    The written letter uses the terms "bundle charges will increase"???

They are also increasing the amount you pay if receiving a paper bill. This will be going up by 25p.

The lettwr also details plans to alter the time they class as "evening" for phone calls. This will be changing from 6am - 6am to 7pm - 7am. They briefly mention charges to other rates.
  23. metalguru

metalguru Member

Ratings:
    +40
    20p increase:D
    I still have to keep the wife tho:thumbsdow
    She works for virgin
  24. PaulBox

PaulBox Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Got my letter yesterday, £4.50 I think it said. I think this is a step too far for me as I'm already paying over £100 per month... Will check out the competition today and see what I can get.

I do enjoy having fast broadband, but I don't download hardly anything so wasting my money really.

Will miss my TiVo box though... :(
  25. carl.waring

carl.waring Member

Ratings:
    +77
    Well I'm paying about £55 (XL phone & TV, L BB, no premium channels) so it sounds like you could easily drop down a level or two on your services so you don't lose your Tivo :)
  26. PaulBox

PaulBox Member

Ratings:
    +27
    The main reason for me having it is the premium channels though, well the Sports channels to be precise. I have the movies only because it is only a couple of £ more once you have the sports.
  27. carl.waring

carl.waring Member

Ratings:
    +77
    Fair enough. I did wonder if that was the reason :)

Don't think VM makes much, if anything, from those channels due to the price Sky charge for them. (Certainly applies to the HD versions of the film channels!)
  28. PaulBox

PaulBox Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I know they don't make anything on those channels, but that's not the issue.

When my monthly bill went over £100pm it felt wrong, an additional £4.50pm is just too much. Need to re think my financial priorities... ;)
  29. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    You should be able to renegotiate a better deal given how much you pay
  30. PaulBox

PaulBox Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Definitely.

I just need to spend some time weighing up the options, decide what I want to achieve and then sit on the phone for an age...;)

i.e. Do I really need 50mb (soon to be 100mb) broadband? XL phone?

Obviously I need to see what I can get from Sky which is very tedious, just looking at the TV. Entertainment + Sky Sports is £40pm, then add £10.25 for multiroon and £10.25 for HD and I'm at £60.50 for a TV package which is less than I already have (i.e. no movies or ESPN). But I suppose I would have all the sports channels and F1 in HD.