1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

virgin media remote wont work when first turning tv on

Discussion in 'Virgin Media' started by bigengines, Nov 16, 2009.

1. bigengines

bigengines Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, i am after some advice about a fault i have with my virgin media remote / set top box, its a silver samsung box smt-2100c and the blue remote, every morning when i turn on the tv the remote will not work at all, the red light comes on the top of the remote but nothing happens at the box, i can turn the channels over on the box itself, the remote will not work for about 5 minutes then it will start working and will be ok, then if you turn the tv off for about an hour the same thing happens again, the tv is a samsung 40" lcd, i have replaced the batteries and had virgin 'boost the signal' apparently but still no better, i am wondering if anyone has had this fault before or any advice on what to do next, many thanks bigengines :confused:
  2. m.stephens

m.stephens Member

Ratings:
    +50
    It's probably due to your LCD TV emitting infra-red which is jamming the remote - you can confirm this by covering over the screen with a towel or similar and then testing whether you can operate the remote normally.

Once the TV has warmed up everything returns to normal.

I used to have the same problem with our LCD TV and an older cable box but it disappeared when I swapped to the Samsung.
  3. bigengines

bigengines Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks m.stephens, i will give the towel a go and see what happens, if it is the tv i may have to have the stb changed but we will see first. will update this thread when i find out some more.
  4. bigengines

bigengines Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, right i have put a towel over the tv and turned it on, the remote works the stb absolutely fine pull the towel off and the remote wont work, put the towel back over the tv and yes you've guessed it the remote works fine again so it seems that m.stephens is spot on with his diagnosis of infa-red emissions from the tv, so now i think the only way to go with this is to contact virgin and get a new stb and see if that cures the problem, so many thanks to m.stephens for showing me the way and i will update when i have found a cure.:)
  5. m.stephens

m.stephens Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I don't think you'll get very far with Virgin. As far as they are concerned it's your TV that is the problem ( even though I'll put money on all your other remotes working perfectly ). I was surprised that the Samsung SMT 2110C was affected as that's what I've got and it doesn't have a problem with the TV (unlike my original Telewest Pace 1010T ) - however it does go mad when I switch on an energy saving light !
  6. Dave^

Dave^ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We've had our Tv for nearly a year now, and for some reason, this problem has become a nightmare over the past month or so.

Are the V+ boxes any better? The tv has built in freeview, so we're gonna be getting rid or the V box and go freeview, unless the V+ boxes don't have this issue.....
  7. m.stephens

m.stephens Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I believe its the same remote for all the current boxes (the blue and silver Virgin Media one ) so I suspect changing from V to V+ might not make any difference.

I can't understand why its just Virgin ( and NTL/Telewest before them) which has these problems as it doesn't affect anything else - my VCR, DVD and Freeview Recorder (and indeed the TV itself) all worked perfectly well.

It would be interesting to hear whether the problem exists if you use a non-Virgin remote configured for the cable box.

(Untested ) suggestions to get round the problem :-

move the cable box away from the TV so that you have a clear line of sight from the remote to the cable box

turn down the LCD backlight ( I understand that the IR comes from this as the TV warms up )

replace the batteries in the remote - it might just be that the signal level from the remote has dropped - which would explain why Dave^ has found it getting worse recently.
  8. Dave^

Dave^ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My V Box is under the TV (about a foot away) with my ps3 in between.

The first thing I did when it started getting worse was change the batteries and give the box a three finger salute, which I thought did the trick, but it only worked because the TV had been on for a while, while I was doing this....

Works fine once the TV has 'warmed up' (about an hour from turning the TV on to the box working perfect) but that's not really practical.....

The TV is an LG with 'Intelligent Sensor' which is what I first thought was causing the problems, so this was disabled for 'AV2' (the V Box) but enabled for HDMI (the PS3).

I'm not convinced this is the case now, so I'll try tonight with the IS on with the V Box and see what happens......
  9. Mike2611

Mike2611 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate,

I dont know if this applies to your box as mine is a V+ HD one, but I have to wait until the box displays "Live TV" before I can use the remote to change channels (The last channel watched appears on screen, you just cant do anything with the remote until it says Live TV - could be something to do with the recording facility on mine though, but thought id try to help)

Mike
  10. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +384
    The V+ remote is different from the V box remote as it has the V+ functions on it and has a somewhat different layout although the shape is similar.
  11. m.stephens

m.stephens Member

Ratings:
    +50
    My mistake - the V box remote will work any recent VM/NTL/Telewest cable box i.e. the Samsung SMT 2100C, SMT 2110C or the Pace 4010 (and 4001 ?)
    - so almost anything that isnt a V+ box.

Also just noticed that Bigengines has a 2100C so it might be worth him trying a 2110C like mine - even if they do use the same remote !
  12. bigengines

bigengines Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all , just a quick update, rang vm for the second time last week and told them that i was still having the same problem ( see start of thread ) and was fobbed off again ( for the second time) as the guy in the indian call centre said they would try and fix the problem remotely from their end ????? he said just to wait for a call from vm if an engineer needed to be sent out !!! ''i am still waiting'', so if i have time tomorrow i am going to call them again and rip someones head off because i am sick of getting brushed off, i want an engineer to be called out at the very least and i am sure that if i rang them for an istallation in other rooms they would be round like a shot, so we will see what happens after the call...it maybe sky+ if i cant get any joy..
  13. m.stephens

m.stephens Member

Ratings:
    +50
    There's absolutely no chance they can fix it from their end - I think that's Virgin-speak for "put it on the extremely big pile of problems and hope it either fixes itself or customer gives up".

I reported my broadband connection being out of order the other week and got this useful email reply back yesterday !

Thanks for getting in touch with the Virgin Media Support team.

Thanks for your patience waiting for us to reply to your email and please accept our sincere apologies for the delay. Rest assured that we are working very hard to answer every customer enquiry, and to ensure that our reply times reduce back to normal as soon as possible.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having a problem with your service. Here's how we can help. Rather than reply by email, we can help you faster by asking you to visit us online.

Just click on the Help & Support section in My Virgin Media online at virginmedia.com and you'll find lots of ways of getting help.

You can ask our virtual helper Jenny a question, or ask other customers for their tips in our Help & Support Forum, plus there's lots more useful stuff too.

Can't find what you need on our website? You can still call our team on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line

If there's anything else we can help with, please let us know.

So if you report a problem using their website form, their response is to eventually tell you that its a waste of time even bothering...
  14. bigengines

bigengines Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i am totaly fed up with vm customer support it is shocking, i rang again and told the asian person on the other end that my problem still persists and that i am still waiting for an engineer etc, i was then asked what the problem was for the third time and was then told that '' a new remote will most definately fix the problem '' , these people who can diagnose the problem over the phone and assure me that this will fix it are talking out their backsides as we all know, now i said that for arguments sake if the new remote doesnt fix it then what next ? do i have to call again and tell a fourth person the fault to be fobbed off yet again !!!, i was told by the person that they will call me back next monday night to see how things are and if it hasnt done the trick then and engineer will be booked so that is the state of play at the moment, its like pulling teeth trying to get someone to come out and see the fault for themselves.
    I have gone down the website route previous and binned it as a complete waste of time, although ringing them is not much better.:facepalm:
  15. Jay765

Jay765 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem. An 'engineer' is coming round on Tuesday so I'll let you know how we get on.
  16. tonybrett

tonybrett Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new LG 47LF7700 and Virgin Media Samsung V Box. When I turn my TV on the remotes don't work but also the channels on the V Box race through from say 101 to 112.
    I have had Virgin Media engineer round twice. 1st one replaced the box with two previous models but same problem. He then attached his portable TV to the original V Box - no issues. So it is the TV emitting this infrared signal that blocks the remote and sends requests to the V Box. I have been told to move the cable box away from the TV (totally impractical), block the signal from the TV by putting a piece of card over the infrared part of the box (haven't tried this but again I will need to get off my backside to remove the card to allow the remotes to work) or leave box on standby, then turn TV on, then waitin one minute before turning V Box on (may be the answer but I shouldn't have to accept this poor alternative). I have also had a 3rd party engineer sourced by LG to see if he could rectify the issue. He was a total waste of time. Someone above suggests 'Turning down the LCD backlight' - how dod I do this?
  17. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,425
    There should be a setting on the TV to adjust backlighting. This controls the lambs behind the panel. The control will be in the picture settings of the TV along with contrast etc. Most people have this set too high anyway.

Backlight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's more on the problem here:
    http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-sat/thread.cgi?2882
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  18. tonybrett

tonybrett Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Dante. I also, surprisingly, received a phonecall from Virgin Media Technical person I spoke with the other day. He said there were further developments realting to LG, Panasonic & Samsung TV's in particular. H e said to turn off Tru Motion in the Picture Settings. I did this and tonight when I turned th TV on the remotes worked straightaway and the channels didn't race. I wont hold my breath but on first impressions this may have resolved it.
  19. kgollop

kgollop Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Hmmm interesting, just stumbled across this thread and sounds exactly the same issue as I'm having. My issue started when the Samsung V Box was replaced after it failed, the replacement was the same model. Samsung LCD so I think I'll have to do some testing today...

EDIT: Run a test this morning. With TV turned off the remote works normally and I can change channels by typing the three digit code no problem. As soon as the TV is turned on then we get issues.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  20. m.stephens

m.stephens Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Interesting that kgollop has the problem after having the Samsung box replaced by the same model. As stated earlier, I used to have the problem with the Pace 1010T and assumed it only affected the boxes using IrDA but obviously it's pot luck whether your cable box is affected or not. What I don't understand is why these problems only affect cable boxes.
  21. 3hundred

3hundred Member

Ratings:
    +1
    They don't
  22. m.stephens

m.stephens Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks. And the Sky box in question is made by none other than Samsung. Maybe Virgin and Sky would be better going to the Turkish and Far Eastern companies who churn out Freeview boxes with names you've never heard of instead of sticking with "quality" names like Pace and Samsung.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. bigengines

bigengines Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, i finally managed to get an engineer out last week and after explaining the problem and then showing him he was spot on with the diagnosis of the infared emmissions from the tv, he was a really good guy and was straight with me in saying there was nothing that could be done, he turned the backlight down but it didnt work so apart from changing the tv the problem will still persist, i mentioned changing to a virgin hd box and he said it might stop the problem as the hd box uses a different remote but i am not 100% sure it will stop the problem as i am thinking that the hd remote will still use infa red, i may be wrong on this but its an expensive decision if it still wont eliminate the problem
  24. tonybrett

tonybrett Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bigengines - try turning off Tru Motion (in Picture Settings) and/or Power Saving mode. Worth a try.
  25. kgollop

kgollop Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Just an update from me. I had an engineer out last Saturday, but he only had Pace boxes in the van. He didn't want to install one of these as he knew this would be the same if not worse than the Samsung STB. He was extremely surprised to see this problem on a Samsung, as they usually install the Samsung to fix this issue!

Anyway he came back today with a new Samsung and touch wood the one he installed today doesn't seem to be affected. He did say that this was a previous issue with the Samsung STB's that was fixed by Samsung some time ago, and he speculated the problem one may have been laying around in stock for some time.
  26. badlydrunkboy

badlydrunkboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a couple of engineers round for the same problem. The last one that came (today) said he had heard about similar issues recently and was going to speak to his senior engineer on tuesday when he is in and find out how he got round it, because apparently he managed to fix it.

Rest assured that changing the remote wont fix it. We've been through 3, 2 standard ones and now the V+ box. They've also tried two different models of remote and it makes no difference.

When i get a call back, i'll update the thread if there's a solution. At the moment i've just programmed my Logitech Harmony remote to do it and it seems to be working fine. Might be worth considering getting one of these if you're having the same issue.
  27. Adastra

Adastra Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After throwing my remote across the house, I thought I'd Google for some sensible solutions (I can't face the over seas joke centre).

Whilst I didn't do the 'towel test' I did change the settings on my TV to turn the backlight back on (I'd lowered it last night in an attempt to reduce energy use - clearly virgin don't give a damn about emissions)!

My remote for my normal box is now working fine so thanks for the solution - Virgin should give you a job. Now, if anyone has a solution on how to open my V+ box remote (I haven't a clue how to get it open) my day will be truly made!
  28. dazmanic

dazmanic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i think i have a solution

do the following - (if your tv has these settings)

1.turn off the light sensor
    2.turn off power save
    3.turn colour temp setting to cool
    4.turn down/off the backlight
    5.replace the batteries
    6.some lcd have a "colour motion" setting or along those lines try turning this off

i have done these and everything works great! good luck!
  29. McMav

McMav Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I had same problem with 40" samsung TV and 2100c box. Never sorted it but my new samsungv+ does not suffer from the same problem atall.
  30. kgollop

kgollop Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I've had my Samsung replaced with the V-HD box since posting in this thread. Get no problems at all with the V-HD.