Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media - 50MB - New Modem

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by limblee, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity Active Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Always with the negativity with you Singh:devil:

I imagine traffic management (or lack of) will depend totally on how stable/good the new system is and how well it copes with the new bombardment.

VM are hoping that the network will be able to cope without any need for traffic management and it will be great if that is the case.I imagine it will be unlimited for a long while,then as speeds increase accross the board and more people come onto the new tier it will be back to square one again and traffic management will be the order of the day once more....so enjoy it while you can:smashin:
  2. markwww673

markwww673 Active Member

Ratings:
    +258
    Any details about upload speed or still 730k ???

I would like the fastest possible for my Xbox gaming !!!

Mark..
  3. Synchronicity

Synchronicity Active Member

Ratings:
    +193
    1.5Mb apparently.
  4. dalar

dalar Member

Ratings:
    +63

source: Virgin Media opens bandwidth choke for 50Mb launch • The Register
  5. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,977
    Getting better this :rolleyes:
  6. Tkrockeruk

Tkrockeruk Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Have they announce what the upload speed is on this yet? I'm hoping for at least 5mb.
  7. Proto Omega

Proto Omega Member

Ratings:
    +1
    How does this modem work? Is this a wireless router or a wireless modem?
    It replaces the cable modem i use now but it replaces the the wireless router i use too?

I'm asking because I still want to have my wireless router to use with this new wireless modem they supply, so I can connect my 360 to it (I need to have 360 connected wired and not wireless because i stream a lot of HD files from pc to 360 and wireless isnt fast enough for this). Also need to connect my ps3 and wii (both wireless) but this wireless modem/router doesnt have any inputs for connections to 360 wired as its all completely wireless? So If I connect it to a router instead of directly with the pc it wont be as fast? Then how on earth are you supposed to connect other devices to it to take advantage of it? Or is the only way to connect them is wireless?

Can I connect a router to it still or what? I dont get how all this works.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  8. Nivek TT

Nivek TT Active Member

Ratings:
    +615
    Only 1.5Mbps unfortunately although Virgin have said they will be reviewing this in time. But when I was with Virgin it wasn't just the speed but the fluctuation in speed that killed Xbox Live for me. My O2 connection is rock solid and much more reliable... and it shouldn't compare with a cable connection! I'm hoping DOCSIS3 sorts this out.

Although I'm very interested I won't be an early adopter. I'll prefer to wait and see reports of performance.

Here is a good Q&A blog post from the BBC, BBC NEWS | dot.life | A blog about technology from BBC News | Virgin: some 50 Meg questions and the comments echo my experiences with Virgin.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  9. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,411
    Regarding DOCSIS3.0, how and why is this better than our current UK network?
  10. comnut

comnut Member

Ratings:
    +8
    erm, DOCSIS is a standards Specification, not a network...
    Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) (Just like MPG is a video coding specification)

the main improvements are faster speed, and IPv6 .

- and yes the English is being mangled again!! you 'play a Mpg' = you play a video, through a Mpg decoder/player..
  11. dalar

dalar Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Yes, 1.5Mbps is more than enough for things like xbox live... As you say Kevin the 50mb looks great, but I really can't believe that it will be STM/restriction free once the rollout is coming up to completion - the statement from "the register" just seemed kinda of fishy. :rolleyes: , I had a similar experience with xbox live interruptions on Virgin.... no problems on O2!
  12. comnut

comnut Member

Ratings:
    +8
    And as the BBC article said, its **very early** to start moaning....
  13. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,411
    Exactly why I was asking. I didn't know what DOCSIS was!
  14. dalar

dalar Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Oh don't worry, I will wait and see how the 50mb service is doing some time later next year....

meanwhile....
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
  15. Proto Omega

Proto Omega Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok from what I understand they send the Wireless Router N out after the engineer has come and installed the cable modem to the PC. He doesn't actually bring both. The router can take up to 28 days to arrive.

So will that mean I cant connect my current netgear wireless router to the new modem and have to keep waiting for the new router to arrive? Because my 360 is connected (wired) and various other devices to it are conencted wirelessly but is the new modem they give you backwards compatable with my current router too?
  16. Nivek TT

Nivek TT Active Member

Ratings:
    +615
    There are reports out there that Virgin intend on moving their 10Mbps and 20Mbps customers over to DOCSIS3 although the basic customers will remain DOCSIS1.

This switch from DOCSIS1 to DOCSIS3 which seems to be (almost) across the board could be the performance 'kick up the :censored:' that the Virgin infrastructure has been crying out for!

And the Sky channels are back and Virgin also recently anounced an intention to offer more HD channels.

Its been a long time coming but is cable finally coming good :confused:
  17. emporer

emporer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,624
    After telling a mate about my call to VM yesterday to put my name down for the 50m he rang today and did the same and was told our area is scheduled fro the 29th of this month!!

I think that VM will eventually do some sort of STM with this, cant ever see them leaving alone tbh but as its costing me an extra 3 quid per month and I wont be tied for another 12 months (just a rolling 1 month) i'd be a fool not to take it.
  18. limblee

limblee Member

Ratings:
    +249
    Can you get it ?

50Mb broadband

I've heard prices will differ for existing customers, depending on their package.

What have you been quoted (please add your current package) ?

----------------------------------
    Just checked, and yes I can, now going to call for the price .....
    ----------------------------------
    Current Package:
    TV - XL & V+ box
    BB - XL
    Phone - M (with weekend/evening)
    = £47pm

To add 50Mb BB = £30 Install + £22.95pm
  19. louisg

louisg Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Everyone read the small print

Installation charges apply (starting from £30 for standard installation). An additional £50 activation fee is payable for 50Mb broadband.

im waiting as this is for early adopters i feel. im not paying £50 just to turn it on. £30 install i can understand. Jokers
  20. comnut

comnut Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Singh400: :) you need to use google and wikipedia more! :D I dont know much, but they do. :p
  21. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +615
    1.5Mb upload is simply not enough with today's developments and available technologies.

It's about time we started seeing at least 10%, if not 25% ratios, so on the 10% basis 50Mb down would provide 5Mb up.

And drop the silly contentions we currently have.
  22. comnut

comnut Member

Ratings:
    +8
    everybody: If you treat this new service with RESPECT, eg no abuse, no massive downloads at peaktime, then I guess they will be happy enough to not limit... this is why france & sweden etc have all the good stuff...

G'wan, guys, prove us wrong.... :up:
  23. Rygar

Rygar Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    I very much doubt the reason Japan & Sweden et al have fast internet connections is anything to do with user downloading habits. Its got more to do with investment, geography, population spread/concentration, when & how the network infrastructure were installed etc etc.

Its also worth pointing out we only tend to hear about the headline speeds over here. I'm led to believe some of those mega fast services have mega mental contention as well.
  24. comnut

comnut Member

Ratings:
    +8
    So 'the other side of the street' is better, huh?? Not so, going by this Post on another forum....
    Neil - "We could have launched 100Mb today if we'd wanted!" - Virgin Broadband - Digital Spy Forums

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  25. sneeks

sneeks Active Member

Ratings:
    +407
    The availability checker is not very good as it is reporting no cable services available in my area despite me having been a cable customer with V+ and 20mb BB for the past two years :D

You live in an area where you can get our National services.

Our National broadband and phone services are available to all. Unlike our cable services, they’re delivered down your phone line – in just the same way other companies offer it.
  26. accyuklad

accyuklad New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    they be still **** upload speed
  27. aymank

aymank Member

Ratings:
    +106
    anyone been successful in negotiating the activation fee?
  28. Kwozzii

Kwozzii Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Does anyone know if the wireless router they send out will have gigabit ethernet?
    Also people saying it's too expensive - I remember paying £50 a month for the 512k broadband when it first came out...Aahhh the good old Motorola Surfboard modem.....

Kwozzii
  29. carvegio

carvegio Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Got mine installed today.... It is a complete rip off for the installing... he just swapped it around and was off.

The wireless router is going to come in the post at some point they told me within the next few weeks.

The speeds are really good though. But I am a bit dissapointed with newsgroup speeds, they are very hit and miss -- I think they must traffic shape newsgroup activity through ports or something right?
  30. accyuklad

accyuklad New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    they say they wont throttle like i said its ********