1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera Link

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sinky1978, Jan 31, 2008.

1. sinky1978

sinky1978 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this is in the right section !

I have 42" 1080p plasma panasonic tv , panasonic home cinema 8550, sky HD , PS3 .

I cannot get the viera link to work properly in the sense that there is no sound coming out the surround sound when viera link on but the TV remote is operating the home cinema.!

Would like to use surround sound for both sky HD and PS3.

Can this be done via Viera link in the sense that if i am viewing blu - ray on PS3 i can have surround sound on?

and the same when it comes to HD !

Please can someone help !

Cheers
  2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor Member

Ratings:
    +696
    If you could tell us how you've got things cabled up that will probably reveal where the problem is.

For example if you want 5.1 from Sky you will need to have an optical cable from the Sky box to the amp, not just an HDMI cable.

Also is that the 850 you have rather than an 8550?
  3. ewangto

ewangto Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i think this is exactly what i have set up today - just got the ps3 home

tv and 850 connected via tv HDMI 1, Sky HD and PS3 connected to tv HDMI 2 using an HDMI switch from Maplin.

It also switches optical digital at the same time, so the optical out from Sky HD and PS3 are connected into the switch, then output to the optical in for the 850.

The switch is remote controlled and can accept up to 4 HDMI and digital audio (co-ax or optical) inputs - it is called ThOR 4-way HDMI selector and has a model code 28575T on the box. Cost £120 but i think it's worth it to get the best out of the HD and surround sources.

hope that helps
  4. shirks

shirks Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    SKY HD buggers up any CEC cause one of the pins (18 or 13) on HDMI is grounded which does not confirm HDMI aka its SKY's fault Viera link isn't working.

Work around HDMI to DVI and DVI to HDMI for the old sky
  5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor Member

Ratings:
    +696
    The set-up you have is optimal for the sound system you've got as you can't handle HD audio formats anyway.

The PS3 with Blu-Ray will be limited to DD and DTS by the optical link but you can't handle audio over HDMI with your system so it is no loss really.
  6. sinky1978

sinky1978 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all the replies.

I will have another go and let you know how i get on.

If not i will get the matsui 14" portable out and the video recorder !

Cheers
  7. SpamJavelin

SpamJavelin Member

Ratings:
    +21
    According to Wikipedia, 'Consumer Electronics Control' aka Viera link etc, is an HDMI 'standard' so in theory does that mean all technologies will be able to talk to each other over HDMI? I want my (planned) Viera TV to talk to my (planned) Sony AV Receiver - just to control the volume!

Is there any hope?
  8. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor Member

Ratings:
    +696
    There is always hope!

The basic technology is called Consumer Electronics Control (CEC)

Everyone seems to have their own brand name for it and some provide features that are not common to the base CEC standard but something as simple as the volume control should be possible between two CEC enabled devices.

To be honest though, a lot of remotes shipping these days can handle things like volume control for multiple devices even without CEC so I wouldn't be too worried.
  9. SpamJavelin

SpamJavelin Member

Ratings:
    +21
    The main reason I want it is because my amp is 'hidden' and I will need a remote sender otherwise. The PS3 is bluetooth (I love, everyone else hates) so that's hidden too. The whole system is vented so heat isn't an issue BTW.

I guess the best way to find out is to go and buy all the goodies then let you know :thumbsup: