Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video card upgrade for dell dimension 4550

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Internal Video Devices' started by aljowen, Feb 2, 2011.

1. aljowen

aljowen Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi
    I have a dell dimension 4550 and i am looking to upgrade its graphics card because that is currently its biggest problem at 128mb. The graphics card would preferably be availible new ,it will be used for gaming but currently I get sub 10fps on games such as minecraft classic on internet explorer which will hopefully guive you an idea about games i play. Ideally a video card that is as powerfull as possible would be nice and would have to be able to play hd video smoothly which the computer currently cant do. Currently I just want to know whats out there so i can figure a budget based on "bang for buck" terms. But around £100 is definatly the uper limit.

It uses an AGP port and not a more modern PCIe port which will make it harder to find one

The computer uses a pentium 4 2.8 Ghz prossesor which may be upgraded at a future point

EDITS:
    AGP Is 2x and 4x supported at 1.5v
    motherboard i think is Intel 845PE
    1gb of ram (could do with an upgrade too, but is ok for now)

EDIT 2:
    Or should i just guive up all hope on this pc for games like tropico 3, cities xl and perhaps a bit of left for dead on lowish settings.

Thanks
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    I really wouldn't spend that sort of money trying to make that computer a gaming machine.

I couldn't get a very modest ATI 4550 card to work in my Dell Dimension 5000, which I believe was newer vintage.

It seems the processor will only go to 3.06ghz too (Documentation), so that'll be pretty much a waste of time

Much better to put that £100 toward a more modern setup, imo.
  3. aljowen

aljowen Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah ive had a little look around and for what im wanting £100 is way too much and im probably better off going with £40 with some stretch to the budget. I would also point out that i am not turning it into a mid rnage gaming pc im just trying to get it to play newer games (as it already plays sims 2 on full graphics and sim city 4)

One other question would 512mb of graphics bottleneck on a 2.8ghz single core pc of this age, because one of my freinds has a much more modern system but only has 2.2 Ghz duel core with 512mb of graphics power, and will run most modern games quite well.
  4. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Well, I'm not expert on graphics cards.
    I was more pointing out my experience with Dells of similar age :)

But if I had to guess, I'd say the the processor and chipset would be the bottleneck, so the card would possibly be wasted.

But this is my point, in that I couldn't get a £30 card to work in my newer Dell with a PCIe x2 slot.

I couldn't find out why it wouldn't work and everyone I spoke to said it was down to the power supply (exactly the same one as yours) being too small.
    I seriously doubt that was the case, as the 4550 only draws 20ish Watts, so I suspect it was just incompatible in some way.

How you'll get on with an AGP card I don't know, but if it's still the way you want to go, I'd suggest you only buy from sellers with a very good returns policy.
  5. aljowen

aljowen Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks
    Its more the fact i want to keep this thing going for a little longer and dont particarily want to have to invest that much when im tight on money. I reckon for me the powerpack will probably be a problem but as of yet i havent opened up the pc as it is a handy down.
  6. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    I know where you're coming from with the money thing.

Rather than spending £100 on a card, I think you'd do better putting it towards a barebones setup.

You wouldn't be looking at that much extra cost, as you can see from here

You'd probably have to buy a new harddrive (secondhand?) though, as yours are IDE.

I'd guess even the most basic of those bundle's integrated graphics will be as good or better than what you've currently got and you'd have a better base to work from.

Just a thought :)
  7. Clunk

Clunk Active Member

Ratings:
    +408
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. aljowen

aljowen Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks a lot i had never thought about that when looking around and you are probably correct about the graphics.
  9. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Plus you'll probably be able to get a few quid from the Dell, thus reducing the outlay :smashin:

Let us know how you decide to go :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. aljowen

aljowen Member

Ratings:
    +5
    thanks im probably not going to get anything soon so keeping updated is a case of months / years but bare bones will probably be the way.

Posting on my phone so sorry for grammer