Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very slow Sky Broadband

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by unhappybunny, Apr 14, 2010.

1. unhappybunny

unhappybunny Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, totally fed up with the very slow speed of our Sky broadband everyday package. In searching for help online came across the forums on this site and hoping someone might be able to help me please. Fed up with trying to work on system that feels like old dial up.......

Did a speed test earlier on www.broadband.co.uk site and these were the results.

Download speed : 2.04Mbps
    Upload speed : 0.38Mbps[/SIZE]

Sky everyday package should give speed up to 10 I believe.

On looking at the sky admin page at http://192.168.0.1 I get these results

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7232 kbps 605 kbps
    Line Attenuation 41.0 db 23.3 db
    Noise Margin 6.1 db 16.0 db

Have tried to resolve issues via Sky before, this resulted in BT engineer visiting the house. He removed the old master socket in the wall and replaced it with one which has a built in microfilter. He then said to remove all the other microfilters in the house.

Our phone line isn't of great quality. We have the master phone socket, into which is plugged the Sky router which we use wirelessly with a PC and a laptop (but never at the same time because of speed issues!). Also have another 3 phone sockets in use throughout the house plus 3 Sky boxes connected. PLUS our burglar alarm is linked to the phone line so that it can send out SMS messages when appropriate. Have had alarm company out to confirm that the alarm link via phone line does not affect broadband speed, they disconnected the alarm system and it made no difference whatsoever.

Basically need an expert to point me in the right direction or give me some good advice/words to use when trying to tackle this issue again with Sky Customer Services again tomorrow.

All help and/or advice gratefully received. THANKS
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. accyuklad

accyuklad New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    acording to your download sync is 7-8meg speed and your on everyday limited to 10gb once you hit that mark you will be throttled that maybe the reason
  3. unhappybunny

unhappybunny Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand (sorry, not very techy!). If I am getting approx 2.1 Mbps download speed how can I be getting anywhere near the "up to 10 Mb" I am paying for from Sky? Apols if I am getting my Mbps and Mb etc mixed up......
  4. accyuklad

accyuklad New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    no you can only can get is upto 8meg on your stats and if you been downloading past 10gb then you get slowed down
    10gb is 1000mb