Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne dd-10+ Opinions?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by eugle, Feb 13, 2012.

1. eugle

eugle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    i am looking to a high quality compact subwoofer for my 3200 sq feet room.
    Has anyone auditioned this subwoofer, how is it for the money? i got a 30% price drop deal on it and need to decide.

what is interesting for me is its configurable servo system. i have heard that sometimes subwoofers with servo sound too dry, and having the possibility to disable it is intriguing..

I currently have two full range speakers that are rated at 30hz -10db or something like that... never had a subwoofer.
    50/50 movies and music :)
  2. hoppaz

hoppaz Member

Ratings:
    +199
    Personally with full range speakers I would aim for a larger driver that will have a much lower natural frequency response. Either a 12 or 15" model. Velodyne make good subwoofers but I would recommend a larger sized driver in your situation.
  3. samhain

samhain Active Member

Ratings:
    +114
    I think it might get lost in that room. I have an SVS SB13+ sealed and it has huge power, you could get two for the price of 1 dd10+
  4. recruit

recruit Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, for a room that size you really need to be looking for something with a larger driver as 10" will struggle in a room that size, SVS offer excellent VFM with PB13 Ultra which will easily give you low down extension that you require or there is the new sealed SB13+ which is another great option.

If you want to stick with Velodyne then I suggest you look at least the DD15+ to pressurise that size room.
  5. eugle

eugle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    • Thanks.
    i see that SVS has more power, but how about sound quality? Velodyne has servo, that SVS does not have.

Also, how do you think Rythmik F12se would compare to velodyne dd10+ or svs SB13?
    PB13U is way too large
  6. samhain

samhain Active Member

Ratings:
    +114
    I like the servo of the DD range as it provides very clean low distortion sound. The servo does limit the output though. The driver on the SB13+ is certainly very good and sounds comparable to my ears when compared to a DD sub. I have not heard a DD+ sub though.

The PB13U will give trouser flapping vibrations the SB13 will not but it will go very low and is very satisfying. The impact on the SB13+ where it hits most is punch in the 30-80Hz region, it really gets you in the chest. I don't recall getting a better kick in the chest to be honest.

If you want the trouser flapping output then look elsewhere
  7. eugle

eugle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry, i made a mistake in calculations, my room is actually 2500 cubic feet, not 3200 as i initially mentioned.
    Velodyne recommends DD-10+ for rooms up to 3000 Cubic feet.

samhain

thanks, very informative.

Yes, i want some real punch in the chest from a subwoofer, as well as reasonable low end extension , but not neccessarily lower that 15hz.
    I would be great to hear from someone who auditioned the new series. Actually the 10+ is 60% larger than old DD10, and in output comparable to DD12, the driver has longer excursion, and weights 17 kg. the whole thing is 37 kg - not bad for such a small box
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  8. wookie1

wookie1 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    The DD-10+ will be more than adequate for that room. In our dem room (2800 cubic feet) the 18+ is a bit strong. Get the DD-10+ running at unity gain of 30 and it defies what you should expect from a 10" - assuming you have it in the correct location. The adjustable servo allows you to dial in more distortion if needed. Comparisons between DD and + for movies are worthless - the + series destroys the DD series in push and pressure loading. For music it is fast and agile. Spending this kind of money you should try all options at home before buying.
  9. recruit

recruit Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you want to dial in more distortion if needed? :confused:
  10. wookie1

wookie1 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Some people like a slightly chubbier sound and lowering the sampling rate of the servo gives you just that.
  11. Member 96948

Member 96948 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,848
    Quite. I backed the Servo off in one of the presets for movie use, as it releases quite a lot of extra bottom end output. In the frenzy of movie action, this is more noticeable than a bit more distortion, especially at the bottom end where the ear is less discriminating anyway.

Russell
  12. recruit

recruit Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, it just sounded abit odd saying adding more distortion thats all?