Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vauxhall Zafira - any good?

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by Mighty Chipster, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Mighty Chipster

Mighty Chipster Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Guys and Gurls,

Been thinking about the possiblity of getting a 1 year old (or less) 2.0T Sri (xp) Zafira.

Anyone got any comments about this car - good and bad?!:lease:

Also would I be right in thinking that 150PS actually means 150BHP or is it something else?

TIA

MC
  2. james_19742000

james_19742000 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Hello mate,

Personally I cant stand the Zafira, it looks OK from the outside but inside I find the finish etc very cheap and nasty (this is coming from a Vectra owner!!! The Vectra finish is much better) the plastics, head lining etc all appear cheap.

Not sure about the model you are mentioning, I had a hire car Zafira a while back for a few days and hated it, doesnt drive well etc etc.

I am currently considering buying a TDI Touran, see seperate thread, but overall the Touran is in my opinion a well put together car, more refined and backed by german engineering.

Just my pennies worth!!

Hope this helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,253
    My mate had one from new and hated it. Had the 150 diesel engine which cut out several times, once in the fast lane of the M5. It also had turbo problems which again is dangerous when going for an overtake. It's finally gone back to the dealers who have now supplied him with a Vectra estate, hopefully one on which the handbrake will work:lease:
  4. Flimber

Flimber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,265
    I'd seriously consider the Almera Tino if I were in your position. You'll be able to nab a top of the range one now for a lot less than a similar Zafira and it's a far better proposition.
  5. Bluehorse

Bluehorse Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    100PS = 97BHP so more or less the same then, it's the new Euro style measure for power.

Think it means pfeder straken or whatever the German is for that, no doubt google has the answer.
  6. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,880
    Zafira's are all built in Germany ;)

Almera Tino is only a 5 seater though
  7. geomuss

geomuss Member

Ratings:
    +178
    I had an 02 zafira 1.6 comfort.

They are garbage, and I mean truly garbage. They lumber about at slow speed, roll on corners.

Engine revs it head of at 70, timing belt needs changing at 40,000, valves sticking etc. I could go on and on.

No idea if the new one is any better but would not like to take the chance.

Personally i would go for a C8, 807, Tepee something along them lines also in a diesel version to save on the tax and get better Mpg. :smashin:
  8. Mighty Chipster

Mighty Chipster Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks guys for all your responses so far!

Me thinks I will be steering well clear of this car:eek:

MC
  9. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Have a look at what Honest John says about it here or what parkers think about it here

Sales of the Zafira suffered badly a few years ago as the advert featuring Griff Rhys Jones backfired spectacularly as people didn't wish to be associated with a car driven by an idiot.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,253
    What about a Mazda5. Well liked by the motoring press and of course you get Mazda bombproof reliability.
  11. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Mazda5 is only 6 seats?
    Do you need 7 or will 6 do? If so, the Honda FRV is supposed to be a good car.
  12. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,880
    Afriad i can't speak for the new shape Zafira as we only have one of the first generation. but ours has been a superb car, can't fault it.

We bought a very low mileage 2002 1.6 petrol Comfort model a couple of years back as a general runabout for my wife, ferrying 3 kids/babies/dogs/mates to after school clubs,shopping runs etc..

What you see is what you get, it's a good value 7 seater MPV with the exterior dimensions of a normal sized car. The rear fold down seats are more comortable than you would expect them to be and i have known adults to sit in them for 100miles or so without any discomfort. Interior space is pretty amazing considering the exterior dimensions, rear bench seat slides allowing you to reduce or extend the boot depending on your needs. compared to the French offerings in same price/size range the Zafira has a lot more to offer.

Fair enough it doesn't have VW build quality but nor does it have the Touran's price tag. Ours has been faultlessly reliable.

the engines aren't particularly powerful but are are quite low geared, useful for pulling away fully laden but a bit noisy on motorways etc..(a sixth gear would be useful) Fair enough yes the handling is a bit wallowy but still fairly comfy. End of the day we didn't buy it as a "Drivers" car so didn't expect anymore.(I have an Alfa Romeo for that)

Our 1.6 does low to mid 30's MPG.

I wouldn't buy one as classy transport and certainly wouldn't buy one of the SRI/GSI sports models (really don't see the point :confused: ) but as a versatile comfy car if you have more than 2 kids i think they are a good choice.
  13. FishDUDE

FishDUDE Member

Ratings:
    +154
    the mazda5 is 7 seat (well 6.5).