1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Value of Pioneer's previous flagship AV Amp VSX-AX10i?

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by westham, Sep 11, 2009.

1. westham

westham Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all,

After several years of stability with my AV setup I am looking at options for replacing my much loved AX10i. Before I head off to source a new Amp (like the look of the new SC-LX82 - the Susano is way too expensive) I wonder what I am likely to receive should I put my AX10i up for sale.

Condition is perfect with all manuals, remote, setup microphone, box etc.,

Tried eBay and looked at completed listings but none on there. Nothing here either which is surprising. I would have thought there were a few around and owned by people who have a tendency to upgrade! The amp is still a serious bit of kit with plenty of useful life left in them yet.

So, has anyone sold one recently or do you have a feel for what one of these would go for? Many thanks.

2. Apollo11

Apollo11 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi, I have the same amp and will only upgrade when I can afford the Susano - (no time soon me thinks). They do sell on ebay quite frequently but I think you will be better off selling on here due to ebay's extortionate selling fees. If it's the latest version (with the heavy base and 7379 remote) and includes box etc then I would think a reasonable price is around £500. My own amp is in amazing condition and I treat it very well. I still remember bringing it home for the 1st time and being amazed by the build quality - something very few modern amps seem to be able to match.

Are you simply parting with it due to HD audio ?

I keep an eye on them on ebay and have seen them go for upto £700 recently if in pristine condition.

Richard
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. westham

westham Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Richard,

Yes the new LX82 is the one that i have my eye on. Also keen on adding another couple of speakers for a 7.1 setup.

My AX10i is the one with the large remote control unit with the stylus etc., Not sure if this is the last one they did or not. In any case I have never given it the time to be able to work out how to use the amp to more than 10% of its feature set - as for the remote control then again I never did master it!

Keen to change for an all-black setup as well - I have to ensure my wife is onboard with my hobby and the looks are important. Now the fashion is for black my new Kuro means I only have one silver unit left and it stands out!

Fair enough on price - I will keep an eye on eBay but how on earth would you ship this thing. It is so heavy I hate to think of the postage!

It has been a great amp though - would love the new Susano but it is the price of a small car! There is no way I could justify spending that much on a bit of kit. Come to think of it this might be the first time I have ever changed a bit of kit but had to move down the product range!!
  4. Apollo11

Apollo11 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi again, I agree re the amp sticking out due to it's colour, I have the same problem here. This may sound a bit nerdy but my system is apparently being featured in the October edition of home cinema choice magazine and the amp will look rather dated. It will cost you around £40 to ship but I would think people will be prepared to travel to collect it from you. Such a shame there isn't an after market HDMI & black case upgrade available :).
  5. adriano

adriano Member

Ratings:
    +5
    hi kids!

i had an AX10i - mega amp!

i upgraded to the sc-lx81 for the hi def stuff - its actually more of a move across and not down - the sound is pretty similar so i wouldnt say youre moving down the product range!

cant help u with an idea of price tho - but £500-700 seems reasonable
    i, too, thought about getting the susano, but for £3500 more it would need to sound a hell of a lot better! ie 2.5x!

my ax10i at the end had a duff rear surround channel - only one worked so it forced me to go back to 5.1 as i had been using 7.1 since about 2003 but it wasnt really a great loss to be honest - 5.1 is plenty as the discs using any more than that are minimal and the back speakers just got in the way!
    it also meant i could bi-amp the fronts:)

i gave my ax10i to my sister - she was very pleased!:clap:
    boxing it up was fun!
    i still had all the packaging so lots of rolled up newspaper and other bits that i was giving her too and even found loads of shredded paper in the paper recycling bin outside to shove into all the spaces.
    her boyfriend said he'd never seen such a good packing job - its definitely is worth taking the time and it should be ok with a decent courier as its actually too heavy to chuck about with any force!
    was sad when it left.......
  6. westham

westham Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Good point! A 'black kit' would be fantastic! The HDMI options would be nice but not so important now as I have the Kuro. I used to need a switching box as I had a 5-year old Pioneer plasma which only had one input.
  7. westham

westham Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Adriano - good to hear from another AX10i owner. Nice to know the move to the LX81 (or the new 82) will be OK in the sonic department. Interesting also about the 7.1 comments - an extra 2 x speakers may well stand out too much so I will investigate this further.
  8. bobbymax

bobbymax Member

Ratings:
    +142
    How about ceiling speakers? been thinking about these myself