Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V+ stuck on AP 52

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Forum' started by pleo2005, Mar 17, 2009.

1. pleo2005

pleo2005 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My V+ box has been stuck on AP 52 since this morning. I rang Virgin up and they are sending someone round on Thursday to try and fix it. Now AP 52 has gone off and numbers are going round all the time from h100 to h900 which it has been doing for the past 2 hours. Does anyone know what it could be doing ? Could it be updating itself ?
  2. whoareyou

whoareyou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked this problem up this morn! Constant problem. No help on phone- sending engineer out on fri- anyone have any updates?
  3. pleo2005

pleo2005 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I will let you know later as the engineer in calling today
  4. pleo2005

pleo2005 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Engineer just been out and replaced the V+ Box, lost all the recordings again for the second time.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Langdaler

Langdaler Member

Ratings:
    +6
    seems to be a lottery on these V+ boxes. about 6 weeks ago my box was also stuck on AP 52 and all i could get was the 'virgin media' logo on screen;engineer came and replaced box.all was ok until last week when had problem with recorded programmes playback-watching was fine but when stopping them and reverting to TV,screen was going blank every time.;had to constantly reboot to get back to normal;engineer came yesterday-another new V+ box(the third since November);like you-all recorded programmes lost again. surely all the 'glitches' with them should have been sorted by now!!!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. whoareyou

whoareyou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that- was hoping that wouldnt be the case as quite a few hours of recordings but suspected that would be the case.
    I take its the same V+ Box not the newely released one?
  7. whoareyou

whoareyou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just had engineer round- his replaced the box. But already its playing-up! Cut out a couple of times every few mintues- bloody frustrating!
    He said in a few weeks Virgin are releasing a dongle so in future when you have the box replaced you can download all your recorded progs on to the dongle and put them on you new box. Sounds like Virgin know they keep on replacing boxes!
  8. Grendel666h

Grendel666h Member

Ratings:
    +0
    About time they did something. I had my V+ box for two weeks when it went bang and I lost all my recordings. That's why I've kept Sky+, no confidence in VM at the moment.
    The Sky box was supposed to be the backup, but the VM is the one that's hardly used, due to it being laggy, more cumbersome to use, on demand hardly available when I demand content, etc. As I only pay £2 per month for it, I'm not that bothered, but it's going to go when the contract runs out unless things improve dramatically.
  9. akewt

akewt Member

Ratings:
    +5
    stopping at AP 52 is to do with the signal. if it doesnt get past 52 your not getting a signal
  10. katydo01

katydo01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My box has done that as well. It was working fine last night then this morning it came up with AP52. Tried switching it off and turning it back on. Phoned and engineer and they are coming out on Tuesday. Is there anything you can do without calling the engineer out, can you fix the problem yourself or not?

Thanks
  11. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,565
    The engineer will not be able to do anything. You'll probably get the signal back well before his visit. The thing is, VM fail to ring you back and say it was a network issue and they don't inform you that they've cancelled the engineer. You end up having to arrange to be in for no reason.

There's nothing you can do at your end. VM have to sort it out at their side of the fence. The signal usually comes back within 24hrs of going off-line and the problem is more often than not related to the network rather than a customers installed hardware.

Poor communication between VM and their telephone operatives means that the person you talk to is seldom aware that there is actually a problem with your area and they simply book an engineer to come out.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  12. katydo01

katydo01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that i will wait for 24hrs and see what happends, lets hope it comes back on itself.
    Thanks for replying to me.
  13. boksbox

boksbox Member

Ratings:
    +32
    I got my AP52 message a couple of Fridays ago, after a particulary violent electrical storm.
    I assumed there must be a general signal problem that would be fixed in time however after a few days and multiple reboots I gave in and phoned Virgin.
    The engineer came and replaced the box, there was no signal problem.
    He reckoned that some amplifiers in the tuners may have been damaged and that he'd replaced many boxes in my area in the last week or so, perhaps the storm was to blame..
  14. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,565
    I recently had a visit from an engineer who informed me that whoever did the initial install omitted to place a surge supressor between the box and the main outlet on the wall. All installations are suposed to incorporate the surge supressor, without it there is a potential risk of the VM box and anything attached to it exploding if the cable is subject to a lightning strike.

I wonder if VM would of reimbursed me for my TV, AV amp etc, etc had an electrical surge come down their cable without the presence of the surge supressor?:thumbsdow
  15. radriderx

radriderx Member

Ratings:
    +15
    How does lightning strike the cable when it's buried underground? Saying that a surge protector is always a good idea for any electrical appliance connected to mains.:)
  16. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,565
    The substations and connection boxes aren't subterranean LOL

Did you think that VM was manned by ex coal miners living in the underworld? The cables run underground but they do surface at numerous connection points along the way.

All incoming cables leading from the network must and should have a surge suppressor between the main feed and the cable coax linkage ;)

This has nothing to do with a mains surge protector. A mains surge protector would have no affect should a surge occur down the coax feed.

This is not just to protect against lightning either, any type of electrical surge down the feed can permantely damage both the VM box and anything else attached to it!
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  17. Brianlb

Brianlb Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have two Virgin Media set-top boxes. One has been stuck on AP 52 since yesterday; the other is working normally. So the problem must be local, with the box or the connection in the VM box outside the house. It's not a V+ so there are no recordings in it. A VM engineer is due to call tomorrow (Friday 14th) afternoon, presumably with a new box.