Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USPS to UK Delivery Time???

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by cameron1590, Mar 27, 2012.

1. cameron1590

cameron1590 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I ordered a item from America and it was shipped USPS First class international, it was sent on the 12th of march. I still haven't received the item, the sender claims it can take up to 45 days ? I have checked the tracking facility and it last arrived at Los angeles on the 16th of march ?

Any one have a past experience with USPS international deliveries ? Seems to be tacking a long time.

Thanks
  2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook Moderator & Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,740
    That's just the US postal service standard. It could take a long time. I'd wait at least another two weeks before getting concerned.
  3. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,469
    depending on the size of your item, 15 days is not a time period to worried about especially as it was First Class International (Remember, USPS or the United States Postal Service is basically the American equivalent of Royal Mail). I've received books that came some 4-6 weeks after posting as they were sent with USPS's cheapest service which is First Class International.
  4. cameron1590

cameron1590 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay thanks guys
  5. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi Cameron,

As others have said, the USPS can be very slow at times. Your parcel not only has to work its way through the local postal area, it then has to move onto a State Postal System, and finally make its way to the International System, before being shipped/flown across the Atlantic, and ending up in the UK.

It then has to work its way through HM Customs, and if need be, then to your local Sorting Office.

Sometimes the USPS can work miracles, and have a parcel from the Eastern side of the USA, to the UK, within a week. Other times, it can take over a month in total. You didn't say where in the USA your parcel's coming from. Don't forget that if it's coming from the Western seaboard, or a more rural part of the country, then that can affect delivery times too. Likewise, the number of items arriving in Los Angeles, alongside your parcel, can affect the time it takes.

All you can do, at the moment, is wait. It will turn up eventually, but you should give it at least 5-6 weeks, before raising any real concerns.

Pooch
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. walleee

walleee Member

Ratings:
    +220
    yeah, relax for now...
  7. BT Bob

BT Bob Active Member

Ratings:
    +321
    When I was on holiday in Florida back in July, I realised I'd forgotten my drivers licence.

Got my daughter to post it Royal Mail Airsure. It took 19 days - arrived the day after we got home.

The friends we stayed with posted it back using USPSs bog-standard international service and it took 5 days to get home.... And cost about 1/10 the price!
  8. Yoshie

Yoshie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Just checked my item:

Your Item's Status
    Your item has been processed at our origin sort facility at 4:06 pm on March 25, 2012 in LOS ANGELES, CA 90009.

Hope it doesn't take too long!
  9. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,469
    wouldn't worry too much, plus it depends on the size of your item, e.g. I received a thank you card that arrived after 6 days from Georgia whereas as I mentioned, a package of two books came after a month
  10. cameron1590

cameron1590 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My item has been there for 3 weeks :(
  11. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,469
    is your item fully tracked? as IIRC, First Class Mail International isn't, thus I'm wondering whether the item really is still stuck in LA (as in, that's as far as the tracking goes) or is now being held at UK customs.

EDIT: I was right, First Class Mail International isn't a tracked service:
  12. cameron1590

cameron1590 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if it is or not, the seller did advise me that USPS do tend to fail to scan the items so maybe that has happened
  13. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,469
    Possibly that although considering you are able to track, I'm wondering whether they actually sent it via USPS Priority Mail International as that is essentially the next step up from First Class Mail International and unlike FCMI, is tracked
  14. cameron1590

cameron1590 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I only paid for imfc tho
  15. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,469
    Is this item via a merchant/ebay sale? as I do think while you were only charged for FCMI, they have kindly paid the extra for Priority Mail International, as the explanation I can think of for the fact you are able to track.
  16. cameron1590

cameron1590 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It says on the tracker first class it's taking its time tho
  17. walleee

walleee Member

Ratings:
    +220
    I got something from china today, that was sent on the 2nd of Feburary. It's taken so long i've got the money back I paid for it allready!

Your not near 'a long time' yet.
  18. cameron1590

cameron1590 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's been 8 weeks and still no package should I raise concern? The seller said to contact customs in case it's been seized to pay an import charge but I'm sure they would write to me asking for me to pay a fee instead of waiting for me to contact them?
  19. walleee

walleee Member

Ratings:
    +220
    I would like to raise concern about (lack of) common sense.

To answer your question 'Should I raise concern?' Ask yourself this;

"Am I concerned"
  20. cameron1590

cameron1590 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha well I would like to point out I have never order anything from abroad so for all I know it could be normal to have to wait 8weeks plus !
  21. cameron1590

cameron1590 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It seems your the one who entries a competition with out knowing what you'v entered for, idiot
  22. walleee

walleee Member

Ratings:
    +220
    You allready told us that the seller told you that it normally takes 45 days for delivery.

Concerning the competition, I have entered several on the forums, once the comp closes it is removed from the forums, and I dont tend to remember each and every competition I enter, not sure how that is idiotic but hey if it helps you throw an insult in then why not!
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  23. ju88k

ju88k Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! Having read the posts on delays, I think I can now hope for the best for my parcel sent from Washington since June that is yet to turn up in UK!!!

If this postal system is this terrible, I guess I will not be using it anytime soon!!