Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using sky and freesat together

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by jdingley, Jan 3, 2009.

1. jdingley

jdingley Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've had a good look around the web but have failed to find an answer to my question so i thought i would try here.

Basically i have a sky subscription that has a link to my sons tv upstairs so he can watch sky; only one sky channel can be watched though as we do not have an addtional room payment.

Currently downstairs i have a freeview box which i use when my son is watching sky but the reception is poor and by the look of the estimates it will only get worse as the service unfolds.

What i would really like to do is add freesat - can this be done using my existing sky service and dish so that i can watch one channel on freesat while my son wtaches a sky paid service and vice versa?
  2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,635
    As long as you have a LNB on the dish with enough outputs, you need a separate feed for each recevier.
    BTW, if the signal is poor sometimes you need a new aerial for digital TV reception.
  3. nvingo

nvingo Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    By DSO the Freeview signal should be as robust as analogue is currently.
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,096
    If only. There are loads of places that are served by low power boosters that will never get freeview (especially in the more remote and mountainous areas). That's the whole raison d'etre for Freesat
  5. worldsbiggest

worldsbiggest Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a similar query. I'm looking at buying one of the panasonic freesat sets but already have a sky+ box using the only satellite connection in my flat from the communal dish on my building.

Is there a way of linking these new tvs up to the sky+ box to share the signal or is some further wiring required.

Hope someone can help, sorry for hijacking the thread.
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,096
    You can only use one at once using a AB changeover switch to switch the satellite feed between the tuners. Satellite does not work like terrestrial, the dish lnb can only access 25% of the available channels at any one time, so the stb has to signal the lnb which of the four bands it needs. The dish on your building will be connected to a multiswitch which connects your stb to the right band. Only way is to get another coax cable to a spare multiswitch output (if it even has one)
  7. charliej1

charliej1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this helps but I have sky+hd and was annoyed about not being able to view ITV hd. I took the plunge and purchased a Freesat box (Grundig) and went to Maplin's and purchased a switch box. The box was about £6 and has 3 satellite type connectors. I wired the common with one of the 2 connectors from the LNB (does not matter which) the A output went back to my sky+hd box and the B connected to the Freesat box. When ITV transmit an HD program that I want to watch then I simply switch the control to B and power-up the freesat box. Obviously you have to connect the freesat via an HDMI cable to your TV, my TV has 3 HDMI inputs so is not a problem. If however you only have one connector then another switch would be required and that would be undesirable.
  8. loz

loz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    I do the same with my Sky HD box and Panasonic Freesat TV, switching one of the coax feeds between the box and the TV.

Generally I would only do this for ITV HD, but similar to the OP's request, it has the side benefit that my daugher can watch Sky in her bedroom via RF from the HD box, whilst we watch Freesat in the lounge. Only of course when what we want to watch is on freesat....
  9. Ben

Ben Active Member

Ratings:
    +281
    For anyone interested, this is the switch :)