Using scart cable as aerial cable

fivade

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm replacing a tv which is wall mounted, and all wiring is inside the wall.
Problem is, there is no aerial cable in the wall, the current tv uses a freeview box connected by scart cable. i.e. the scart cable is in the wall.
The new tv has built-in freeview HD.
If i chop the ends off the scart cable and connect up a couple of the wires to aerial connectors, connect one end to the tv, and the other to an aerial, will the signal run over the cable? Or will there be too much signal loss?

Thanks.

the cables are different types fella so i doubt you will get anything signal wise

Where is the current freeview box?

Hi,
I'm replacing a tv which is wall mounted, and all wiring is inside the wall.
Problem is, there is no aerial cable in the wall, the current tv uses a freeview box connected by scart cable. i.e. the scart cable is in the wall.
The new tv has built-in freeview HD.
If i chop the ends off the scart cable and connect up a couple of the wires to aerial connectors, connect one end to the tv, and the other to an aerial, will the signal run over the cable? Or will there be too much signal loss?

Thanks.
Not a good idea. If you're in a strong signal area you would still get a picture, but it would be EXTREMELY susceptible to interference, eg from microwaves/phones etc because there's inadequate screening.

My only other option i can think is to get a compact / flat aerial and mount it almost behind the new tv where it can't be seen. perhaps that would provide a better signal. I am in a fairly strong signal area.

You would need to be living next door to the transmitter for that to have any chance of working. Indoor aerials are very unreliable and it needs to point towards the transmitter. Even the flat aerials are a bit directional. Is there no way you could 'pull through' an aerial cable using the scart one?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom