1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using keyboard and mouse on the sofa?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by Sega Mega Dave, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Hi guys,

Recently built myself a gaming pc to replace the consoles (what a huge difference in quality)

I flick between using a 24inch monitor and my 40inch HD TV.

The monitor is great as it's on a desk so i have a sturdy base for the keyboard and mouse, it would be nice to be able to use the keyboard and mouse on the 40inch but obviously i cant do this on my lap while sitting on the sofa like i can with the 360 controller for certain games.

Do any of you use the keyboard and mouse while chilling back on a chair and if so what do you use to put them on?

May sound a daft simpleton question but im genuinely stuck as to what to use.

Thanks
  2. socom23

socom23 Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I use a dinovo mini and a Razer mamba. The mouse sits on the sofa or coffee table. The wireless 360/pc pad works very well also.
  3. Moldiver

Moldiver Member

Ratings:
    +113
    I use a 360 pad with the pc on my 42" when on the couch for gaming, mostly single player games as you get killed gaming with a pad against a pc user with mouse and keys. And when using the pc on the tv as a media server with xbmc is use a small keyboard that has a touchpad so ive got some mouse control.

If a game requires mouse and keyboard i usually just sit at the desk and use the tv as my pc monitor and tv are netx to each other in my gaming room.

i suppose if you could find a suitable table and a comfortable gaming position you could easily game with a mouse and keybord from your couch, i just havn't :)
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  4. Sega Mega Dave

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Thats the problem finding something big enough that leans over enough to use both.

I have the 360 pad for like you say single player chill out games.
  5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte Member

Ratings:
    +671
    I solely game from an armchair on my 37in TV (used to be my 86in pj screen but still havnt got a new bulb...heh), I just put the keyboard on my lap, works perfectly well there (but then I can touch type so dont have to worry about finding keys...lol). The mouse is on a solid aluminium mousemat (with a black plastic surface) on the arm of the chair. Obviously I buy armchairs that have the arm at the optimum height and with a broadish flat width. If anything I can use it for longer periods now because my arm is almost flat so less stress on the tendons with the mouse arm :)

Sometimes the little bugger can slip off, but not very often as the mouse mat is oversize. Dont worry about spending a fortune, I got it from maplins (I think? forget now tbh...lol) and it didnt cost very much.
  6. Andyh4324

Andyh4324 Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    If you've got the room maybe consider Dave or similar. A few places sell them now. They are built for laptops but will do the job for what you want it I should think.
  7. SHARKuk

SHARKuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +951
    I am sat on the sofa and I use a MS 5000 wireless KB+MS.
    I have the KB just sat on my lap which is perfect, with the mouse all I did was used the box the mouse and keyboard came in. It's almost perfect lenth and size so I can rest my arm on and use the mouse without any issues. I just taped up the box so the cardboard didnt degrade with use. I have been using this for about 3-4 yrs now :thumbsup:
  8. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,711
    I have a wireless keyboard and Logitech wireless thumb-trackball mouse which works prefectly well for me.
  9. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,744
    I mainly use a dance mat but sometimes my legs get tired so I use a 360 gamepad or a fragenstien (for those games that aren't supported by the dance mat or gamepad). The Fragenstein works really well and you have the best of both worlds as you still use the mouse for accuracy and you have the keys replaced with what is essentially half a gamepad. :smashin:

FRAGnStein
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  10. Divide by zero

Divide by zero Member

Ratings:
    +89
    I use Keyboard on the lap (which is fine for gaming) and the mouse on a bit of kitchen worktop to my side on the sofa.

I find this just as good as a desk, only more comfy!
  11. Clunk

Clunk Active Member

Ratings:
    +407
    That looks handy for the mouse side of things, with keyboard on lap.

Hmmm... might tell the missus she needs one for her laptop. :smashin:
  12. =adrian=

=adrian= Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,651
    I use my 24" monitor for most of web-browsing, photo-editing, etc. Sometimes I use 42" plasma for gaming. Then I move my sofa closer to the TV and use coffetable for keyboard and mouse. It's not ideal, but it does the job.

I'm sure I've seen somewhere a nice comfy leather armchair with very wide arms that you can easily place your keyboard on one arm and mouse pad on the other. I need one of those. Anybody've seen them anywhere?
  13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,912
    This is my dilema. My PC has been sat in the bedroom unused for the last few months and i've been considering buying a 24" monitor as it's not that practical in the living room (TV always been used for other stuff, text is too small to read from sofa, struggle with m MS bluetooth keyboard and Wireless Logitech mouse on the sofa etc.). The only thing is that I have nowhere to set up a PC at the moment. Hmmm, I do need to start using the PC again though as it's just being a waste of money at the moment.
  14. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,744
    I cant believe more people aren't using the FRAGnStein, it totally gets rid of the keyboard on sofa issue and works so well.

[​IMG]

I use my own mouse with the chuck. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  15. CAS FAN

Ratings:
    +2,912
    Hmmm, that looks superb! Cheers mate, just off to order one. :thumbsup:
  16. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,744
    You can use it on your ps3 as well. :smashin:
  17. CAS FAN

Ratings:
    +2,912
    Yeah just seen that. Should make PS3 shooters more playable as well. Do you find the response good (i.e. no lag etc.) and is it easy to set up and use with say my MX Revo as opposed to the included mouse?
  18. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,744
    No lag at all and it feels so natural.

The setup in terms of unlicensed drivers was a bit of a pain as you have to manually select the install of the driver but once that's done you never have to touch it again. The driver basically recognises the chuck/mouse and assigns letters from your keyboard to it. Left on the chuck is A, Right is D etc... You can assign buttons in the game to the rest of the controls by clicking the button you want in the in game control settings. :)

If you want to use your own mouse then thats fine, you dont need to do anything for that. The chuck basically just mimics the keyboard keystrokes and does away with the keyboard totally. :)
  19. =adrian=

Ratings:
    +2,651
    Hmm.. using keyboard on my sofa never was a problem. More problematic for me is using mouse. I have solid mouse pad, but balancing it on lap is still not good. That's why I need a nice comfy armchair.
  20. =adrian=

Ratings:
    +2,651
    Oh and BTW you can change the size of your fonts in your browser to see websites/text better on your TV. I do it in Firefox, View>Zoom tick 'text only' and zoom enough to see. Easy
  21. andytizer

andytizer Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The most useful thing I bought to play PC games on my setup is the Ikea DAVE table. It's the perfect height for resting a keyboard and mouse up whilst sitting on a couch. I have a review up here (also a guide on how to setup living room for gaming): Shinyhacks: How To: Do PC Gaming On Your Couch Or Sofa
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Dr Force

Dr Force Active Member

Ratings:
    +534
    Just ordered this Razor as I just can't get comfy with M&KB:thumbsup: and also moving rig in to the lounge for new 47" TV. Cinema room iss great but I have to fire up PJ everytime and I am killing the lamp............so movies only from now:smashin:
  23. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,744
    Nice one mate, let me know what you think of it when it arrives. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. socom23

socom23 Member

Ratings:
    +33

This is perfect for me. Thanks
  25. Sega Mega Dave

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Anyone know where i can order the Fragnstein or the Tuact Aimon XB from in the uk?

Struggling to find any reputable retailers.
  26. Chaos

Chaos Moderator

Ratings:
    +285
    I had to get my Fragnstein from eBay. Was very hard to find.
  27. garnat

garnat Member

Ratings:
    +24
  28. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,759
    just had a little gaming last night on new cod.

I just lay back on the sofa so i am nice and comfy.

Keyboard is on my lap, mouse is just next to me on a dinnerplate mat. we have solid ones.

words well enough :)
  29. psikey

psikey Active Member

Ratings:
    +697
    Bought an X-Rocker gaming chair (or use sofa) and use a DiNovo edge BT keyboard on my lap & a Razor BT gaming mouse on a small coffee table at the side.
  30. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,744
    I got my Fragnstein from amazon and it turned up the next day. :)