1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using external speakers with a TV's internal amplifier

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by qwert-e, Oct 9, 2009.

1. qwert-e

qwert-e Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Yup, you read right :)

I bought a Panasonic TX-32LXD80 recently, a set known for excellent picture quality and rubbish sound quality. The obvious solution to this is an external amp and speakers combo, but its inconvenient having to control the volume, turn it on and off, and power it all separately from the tv.

I figured the poor sound quality is down to cheap speakers rather than a cheap amp, so i thought i'd see how the tv sounds with some old bookshelf speakers i had lying around, some wharfedale diamond 7.1s in my case - these are about £20 now on eBay. The result was seriously impressive. It sounds as good as a £100 hifi i think. There's plenty of bass if you want it, and the midrange and treble are both much improved. The volume also goes a LOT louder without distortion too.

Taking the back case off and connecting the tv's internal amp to some speaker cable was easy, and with the case back on it all looks nice and neat. I put the speakers behind the tv and angled outwards so they're not even visible from the front.

Obviously this is no replacement for a proper sound system, but its more convenient and a lot cheaper. I dont think my particular tv is the only one with poor speakers so if you're happy to take the back case off and give it a go i highly recommend it :thumbsup: